Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 02:55 PM   #1
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

price and risk of adjusting cam timing

im about to sell my car in the next few months, and i wanna give it a real good thrashing before selling it. i was wondering how much it costs to adjust the cam timing if it isnt too much i will do it

the peak torque on my car is at about 4000rpm and the redline is at 6
would it be possible to bring the peak torque down to 3000rpm or even lower if possible, i dont really care if the engine gets stressed, cause the cars already fucked.
MaFi0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 AM   #2
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Since one tooth is two much you will need a adjustible cam gear. This can you make yourself if you have the proper equipment.
If you want more power on the lower rpm:s you're have to turn the camshaft forward in the direction of the rotation.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 09:36 AM   #3
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

Re: price and risk of adjusting cam timing

Quote:
Originally posted by MaFi0s0
im about to sell my car in the next few months, and i wanna give it a real good thrashing before selling it.
I'm not helping you.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:38 PM   #4
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

thanks,

what do you mean a tooth? will haveto replace a part?

how much does this cost about, would a small mechanic shop be able to adjust the cams, or is it a more profesional sorta thing

im getting my car serviced this week and im replacing the airfilter, im thinking about doing jap styles and having no airfilter at all is this dangerous?
MaFi0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 01:24 PM   #5
ales
Forza Schumacher

Quote:
thanks,

what do you mean a tooth? will haveto replace a part?
He means a tooth on the sproket. Basically this means shifting the chain / belt one "step" or tooth off it's OEM position. But this will screw up the timing really bad and make the car undriveable.

Quote:
how much does this cost about, would a small mechanic shop be able to adjust the cams, or is it a more profesional sorta thing
You can pretty much adjust the timing yourself if you get adjustable cam sprockets. But for best results you should use the dyno.

Quote:

im getting my car serviced this week and im replacing the airfilter, im thinking about doing jap styles and having no airfilter at all is this dangerous?
Yes.

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:23 PM   #6
fieroturbo
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fieroturbo
I'm assuming you have a civic? Well, most popular imports and sport compacts have adjustable cam gears/sprockets that are easy to get, and look nice too (might help sell car?).

Also, get some dyno software and enter in your engine's specs, which you can find in a repair manual, and test to see what effect the cam changes have on the output.

I used software for the stuff I wanted to get, and I saved money by finding out what combinations would give me what kind of output, instead of guessing on the dyno itself. Try to find a program that will let you add in turbo and NOS too. Mine is just N/A, kinda cause it came with a book. There might be some free trial ones at shareware.com.

Anyway, high end torque isn't such a bad thing you know. Alot of guys complain that their car has no torque on the high end and they loose acceleration in the high revs (after they raise their redline and become dissapointed). Look at F-1 cars, when was the last time you saw an F-1 engine go below 3000RPM's? Low end torque is really something you'd want in trucks, given they carry heavy loads, and they need more power off the start. And plus, how often do you use the low end... Off the start, A.K.A. "The Holeshot." So unless you plan on doing burnouts, keep your torque where it is, just increase it a bit.

Hope this helps. (Oh boy, do I get criticized and quoted too? )
fieroturbo is offline   Reply With Quote