Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 10:30 AM   #1
grncivicdhr
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to grncivicdhr
Question ls-v-tec build up on a 92 b18a

i resently cmae in to a 92 integra ls that was totalled but the engine is perfect with only 55k miles on it. i intend on building an ls vtec motor to drop in to my 97 civic ex. what i needed to know was how to properly build the engine, what head/manifold/ecu to use(b16 or b18) and what internals were neseccary for a strong bottom end. if anyone can help or knows of a good website please let me know. also the port SOHC v-tec head that i currently have on my car may be up for sale after i do the swap.
grncivicdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 10:30 PM   #2
97teg
AF Enthusiast

go with the b16a head or b18c5 head if you can find one. here's the order of choices you should go with regarding heads from what i was told:

1. CTR head (I think the engine code is b16b)
2. ITR head (b18c5)
3. b16a
4. b18c1

I was told this by the import shop near my house, the reason the b16a head is better is because it flows better than the b18 head. I'm saving up for an lsvtec job myself. I've decided to go with the b16a head cuz you can come by those cheaper and the ITR intake manifold will fit on it.

since your engine is coming from a 92 teg, it is pre-obd or obdI, i'm not sure which. but you can take the ecu from a gen. 1 b16a which shouldn't be more than $275.

as for the bottom end, I was just going to put CTR pistons in cuz i'm going to run n/a. if you want to run boost, I recommend forging the bottom end to handle the boost.
97teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:07 PM   #3
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
reason for most people to go with the B16 cam is because you can find it easier than the B18C1 or B18C5. also, there is a price difference. the B16 cam cost less than the others. a b16 cam doesn't necessary mean it'll breather better. b18 cams have better overlapping than the b16 (from what i was told)
Old 05-14-2002, 10:05 AM   #4
threethirteen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to threethirteen
i actually read that whole b16b, b18c5, b16a, b18c1 thing before. like at team integra, or maybe even here. i actually printed it out.

he is right about it breathing better. the b16's actually produces more power for its size than the b18's do. i went with the b16a head when i did my ls/vtec.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:08 AM   #5
threethirteen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to threethirteen
here it is. this guy's the man. this helped me a lot.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:39 PM   #6
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
he also said the B18C5 cams are better than the B16, not by much though..