Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
azntvsun
AF Newbie

2005 Frontier vibration 65-70mph

Hi,

I've got a 05 Frontier CC SE 2WD with a vibration at highway speeds 65-70mph. Above and below these speeds the vibration is not there. The vibration seems to be coming from the rear axle or driveline. It is felt in the seats, the steering wheel is ok, smooth. Truck has 19700 miles and the vibration problem has been with the truck in varying degrees from day 1. Here is a list of things I have tried to get rid of the problem.

At 7K miles replaced cheap General tires with new Michelin MTX in stock size on stock alloy wheels. The general tires had a strange feathering wear pattern on them (rear). The new tires have worn evenly. I do drive somewhat aggressively but nothing too crazy. replacing the tires reduced but did not eliminate the problem.

Multiple trips to the dealer, Every time they told me they balanced and rotated the tires and that everything was fine. Then I would drive the truck home and the vibration would be there. I was told they checked the driveline, suspension, wheels, etc. Each time I went there- about three times to the same dealer in one month they told me the tires were wayyy out of balance or something like that. They told me that right after an independent tire shop had balanced the tires.

When carrying a load in the truck or towing a trailer (900-1800lbs) the vibration problem is MUCH more pronounced. The trailer is new and tows fine with my buddy's truck so I know the problem is with my truck.

Another problem that may be related is that from time to time at highway speeds the low tire pressure monitoring system idiotl light will come on for no reason. If I stop and turn the truck off and then on again the light will turn off and stay off until the next highway trip. I don't know if this is at all related to the vibration problem.

I like the truck, nice power, roomy, but this problem is really annoying. When I bought the truck the dealer said "oh, the vibration is probably just from some flat spotting on the tires, its been on the lot awhile, it will go away in under 1000 miles" Yeah right. I know better now and at this point don't have a lot of confidence in Nissan to fix this problem.

Any ideas? Thx in advance
azntvsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

Re: 2005 Frontier vibration 65-70mph

Poss Drive shaft out of balance, That could give you a vibration as if it was a tire balance issue.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
cork379
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 Frontier vibration 65-70mph

Be sure to check the front rotors. They sometimes trap debris behind them. Take them off and just drop them on the floor (lightly) and remount them.
cork379 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara