Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #16
pada
AF Newbie

Re: Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiburn
For a 2001 3 series you reset your light through the instrument cluster, not under the hood. Only 99/00 E46's you reset under the hood.
Right you are, Antiburn ... I guess I've got the old iron on my brain and I spaced out on the model year. Thanx for the correction.

Paul (pada)
89 325iA
204k and still looks new!
pada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #17
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme barton
really ?? cause thats what i read too. i was just following up your post. wher you mentioned american and japs.

and here is a little something for you to read

Castrol SYNTEC European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

thats one for example ..

so your wrong !!
Big Time !!

Best Regards !!
Absolutely ! I agree with you, except one thing, oil you mentioned above castrol syntec has those approval in 0w/30 grade only, none of 5w/30 oils off the shelf sold in USA and Canada carry those number including Pennzoil Platinium , which is 5w/30 BTW.Exception is only BMW High Performance synthetic oil in 5w/30 grade , which only at this viscosity carry ACEA :A3 spec.
daniel 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #18
xtreme barton
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel 61
Absolutely ! I agree with you, except one thing, oil you mentioned above castrol syntec has those approval in 0w/30 grade only, none of 5w/30 oils off the shelf sold in USA and Canada carry those number including Pennzoil Platinium , which is 5w/30 BTW.Exception is only BMW High Performance synthetic oil in 5w/30 grade , which only at this viscosity carry ACEA :A3 spec.

off the shelf....

any request can be met at a parts store. in fact if i bet if you request that they get it for you they will carry more on hand at that particular store. just say so.

platinum was just the oil i like. i wasnt suggesting that it was for this vehichle.
xtreme barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #19
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme barton
off the shelf....

any request can be met at a parts store. in fact if i bet if you request that they get it for you they will carry more on hand at that particular store. just say so.

platinum was just the oil i like. i wasnt suggesting that it was for this vehichle.
Sir would you please remove this" mother fucker" picture from your avatar- it is offernsive in nature.

Administrators please !!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #20
xtreme barton
AF Enthusiast

im sure my avatar is not your real problem..

your views are not mine. and if that is a problem please discuss it via PM and if you can talk to me decent and convince me i would be most happy to remove it ..
Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 PM   #21
abrittis
AF Newbie

Ok. I'll attempt to get this thread back on track ... :-)

Does anyone know the details of the ACEA A3 spec? And why is it that most of the 5w-30 oils sold in the US can't / don't meet it? I've been searching everywhere but can't seem to find the technical details. If so, could someone please post the details?

Also, my 2001 325i owners manual and shop manual do not mention this spec (or any ACEA or BMW spec) at all. The only mention is that it be 5W-x grade synthetic with API rating of SH or higher. Also, my oil fill cap actually says "BMW perfers Castrol Oil". Pretty interesting - since Castrol doesn't even sell a 5W-x oil in the US with an ACEA A3 rating.

Given the fact the some newer car models are recommending oil changes about every 15k miles, I'm suspecting that the ACEA A3 rating probably addresses the oil's ability to maintain its properties even after prolonged use.

I personally change my oil every 5-7k miles.

Anthony
abrittis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #22
xtreme barton
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrittis

Does anyone know the details of the ACEA A3 spec? And why is it that most of the 5w-30 oils sold in the US can't / don't meet it? I've been searching everywhere but can't seem to find the technical details. If so, could someone please post the details?

Also, my 2001 325i owners manual and shop manual do not mention this spec (or any ACEA or BMW spec) at all. The only mention is that it be 5W-x grade synthetic with API rating of SH or higher. Also, my oil fill cap actually says "BMW perfers Castrol Oil". Pretty interesting - since Castrol doesn't even sell a 5W-x oil in the US with an ACEA A3 rating.

Given the fact the some newer car models are recommending oil changes about every 15k miles, I'm suspecting that the ACEA A3 rating probably addresses the oil's ability to maintain its properties even after prolonged use.

Anthony
im not sure of the exact technical details ..i =m sure its just reccomended that it be a high grade (hence bmw)
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #23
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrittis

Anthony
Here are some usefull information:
http://www.flpoland.pl/www_eng/ch_wi...rspec_acea.htm

Specification BMW :

"The BMW specification is generally known as the "Long Life" specification. It concerns three categories of products, which can obtain the extension of the oil change interval - after successful passing some additional tests.

"BMW Special Oils" 1996 Minimum requirement: ACEA A3/B3. Additional test M42 is indispensable for obtaining the possibility of using products of the 0W/5W/10W-x viscosity gradation all year long.
"BMW Long Life Oils" 1998 Minimum requirement: ACEA A3/B3 is connected with the following viscosity gradation: 0W/5W/10W-30/40. Oils, which successfully passed M44 test, enable the extension of the oil change interval to 20 000 km, or for every second year.
"BMW Long Life" 2001 Minimum requirement: ACEA A3/B3. The following viscosity gradation meets the requirements: 0W/5W/10W-30/40. The new version of the M44 test warrants 20/40 000 km between the change of oil intervals, or every second year. This is an obligatory specification for new cars, which require Long Life 01 oil and it can substitute previous ones"

Last edited by daniel 61; 02-14-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #24
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

How about in simple terms instead of all your ratings
Bmw uses on all their E46, E39's and E38's Castrol 5w-30 synthetic
for their older models, (1998 and prior) the use Castrol 15w-30 non synthetic
If you want to do your own oil change, buy any make of 5w-30 snythetic oil. And just beucase one quart is 9$ and the other is 7$ doesnt mean its any better, they all lubricate your engine, and your throwing it out in 15000 miles. Just buy castrol 5w-30 and you will have no worries.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #25
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Quote:
How about in simple terms instead of all your ratings
Bmw uses on all their E46, E39's and E38's Castrol 5w-30 synthetic
for their older models, (1998 and prior) the use Castrol 15w-30 non synthetic
If you want to do your own oil change, buy any make of 5w-30 snythetic oil. And just beucase one quart is 9$ and the other is 7$ doesnt mean its any better, they all lubricate your engine, and your throwing it out in 15000 miles. Just buy castrol 5w-30 and you will have no worries.
You can put even tractor or canola oil - your car , your brain ,your business.
Everybody does , what is proper according to personal knowledge in the specific field, in this case oil industry and its applications.
Do not compare castrol syntec 5w/30 with a BMW High Performance 5w/30 oil, blended by Castrol for them.
They are completly different oils in their chemistry and formulation.Viscosity indexes and High sheer high temperature numbers are totaly different, that is why syntec 5w/30 is not suitable in E46 cars M52TU and M54 engines.
BTW BMW oil is the same thing ,what in Europe is called Castrol TXT Softec, which in its wight is close to "40" viscosity oils.Are you really, a BMW Mechanic ? I doubt it, perhaps a lot attendant...

Last edited by daniel 61; 02-15-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #26
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

I forgot your the rocket scientist of fucking oil! Go to the dealer and buy the oil they use. Go pay 5$ a quart when you can buy the same thing at pep boys for 3.25. Please go pay more since you obiviously know so much more.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 05:50 PM   #27
daniel 61
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: Oil Change

Quote:
I forgot your the rocket scientist of fucking oil! Go to the dealer and buy the oil they use. Go pay 5$ a quart when you can buy the same thing at pep boys for 3.25. Please go pay more since you obiviously know so much more.
Yeah, Mr. "home made " BMW mechanic , as a matter of fact I am oil scientist by education, perhaps place you live (Cambodia?), BMW dealer sell and recommend Castrol Syntec 5w/30 for their engines, for sure not in United States.
Call them or visit them personally, there is still time for you to learn something...

Please do not confuse other folks on this forum , when you know shit regarding motor oils applications.
Best regards:
Daniel.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:14 AM   #28
Lukido
AF Newbie

Who ever thought motor oil could be so controversial.

Quite entertaining indeed.

L
Lukido is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series