Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
shivparekh
AF Newbie

Exclamation 2001 Accord Manual --weird hissing / grinding noise from Back seat area!

Since last two weeks i have noticed this weird noise from around the back seat area, it's so clear that it sounds like if it is coming from inside the cabin but i'm sure it's not.

It started with a slow ... rare squeaking sound and gradually it became quite noticible. Now it is making a noise as if two metals are grinding with each other.

It happens mostly at highway speed , 55mph or higher... up to 80mph. (haven't driven higher than that). I haven't had a chance to take it to the mechanic yet.. i wanted to be clear of what's making that noise and then take it to the mechanic.

Visually there's nothing i could spot under the car, tires look good, trunk and other areas look good too.

If there's anybody who can shed some light on this issue, it will be a great help.
shivparekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
jgr7
AF Regular

Re: 2001 Accord Manual --weird hissing / grinding noise from Back seat area!

How about the brakes?
jgr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
shivparekh
AF Newbie

It could be the brakes ... but as far as the performance of the brakes is concerned it's absolutely normal.. no noise, mishandling or vibrations on steering wheel ever noticed while using the brakes.
The grinding or hissing noise is constant at highway speed when the brake pedal is not being used.
One way to check that if it's the brakes, is to have it checked by mechanic i guess.
Do you suggest that i remove the tires and put them back again, hoping if anything (stone/metal) is stuck would come off ?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
somick
AF Enthusiast

Like igr7 said, check the brakes. Warn brake pads will make weird sounds.

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
shivparekh
AF Newbie

It looks like Brakes making the noise... I took it to the mechanic and he said the same thing, i will get the brake pads change in next couple of days.. hope this fixes the problem, I will post a reply after the work is done and if the noise is gone....

Thanks guys...
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

That or a hub bearing going bad...if they inspect the brakes, they'd notice that too.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
shivparekh
AF Newbie

2001 Accord Manual --weird hissing / grinding noise from Back seat area!- REPAIRED!

Guys,

I got the noise fixed.
Yes, it was the brakes making that noise. Both of the rear pads were almost gone, and the rear rotors were bad too.
I had my mechanic change all four brake pads and both rear rotors. Front rotors needed grinding and resurfacing only.
So after spending $550 (2 new rotors, 4 sets of brake pads, synthetic oil change & labor work) i got rid of the noise. Hub bearing was not a problem it looks like. I had the mechanic check that too. jgr7, somick & jeffcoslacker thank you very much for your help & suggestions.
I have another problem with Cruise Control. Ever since replacing the brake pedal switch, it doesn't work. The switchon the dash works fine, all the fuses are good. I checked for under fender vaccum hoses and they are properely connected also. One mechanic told me he might have to open the steering wheel / Air bag to take a look inside connections/wiring. He needed two days to work on it so i had to hold off for now. Any suggestions?????
I can post a separate thread for this if necessary!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I don't know what the electrical connectors at the brake light switch look like on that one, but the cruise power runs through that switch.

It's too coincidental that it quit after switch replacement....unless you mean like months after, in which case that could happen. But if it was right after I'd be checking that all connections were actually plugged into the switch (correctly) and that the switch is properly adjusted...and if all that checked out I might even try another switch in case I got a defective one that holds the cruise in brake cancel....

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2001 , accord , grinding , hissing , noise
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid