Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Ajijic
AF Newbie

Steering Problem

Today, 01:04 PM Report This Post #9 Ajijic
AF Newbie

Re: Jeep TJ Alignment Bible
I live in Mexico and I have read your article with great interest, as I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my steering.
I have a 1999 Sahara TJ, and it was running perfectly before I had a no fault collision. The only slight problem before that, was a slight oil leak at the steering box, but it was not affecting the steering.
The Insurance Company insisted that they haul the Wrangler away to their preferred Body Shop in Guadalajara, which is about 11/2 hours difficult journey from where I live. They made a reasonably good bodywork repair, but something is wrong with the steering. After the collision, the passenger side front wheel, was turned out at an angle of about 30 degrees, and all the oil was on the ground from the steering system. They said that they did not do anything to the steering, but made me pay for a replacement steering box, because they said that it was bad before the collision.
I have attached a photo of the front end, after the collision, and I can not understand how they straightened the wheel, without renewing something.
My symptoms now when driving, are: slightly heavy feel, and wandering slightly to the left and right. I have checked my tire pressures, and had a local repair shop, re-align the steering to 1/16 -1/8 toe in. it was set to toe out. I also note that they have filled the system with ATF fluid instead of Steering Fluid.
It will be impossible to find any place here, that has proper alignment equipment, and trained mechanics. They just work with a tape measure, and smile!
ANY thoughts and comments that you may have, will be most appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

Ajijic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Steering Problem

The right front wheel looks like it's turned outward from the other wheel.
I think you have something bent in the steering. Look underneath and check if you observe something bent.
The people who aligned the vehicle didn't notice anything bent.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Ajijic
AF Newbie

Re: Steering Problem

Thanks,
I have already got the vehicle back from the body shop. They said that they did not do anything to the steering, but I think that they lie, because I cannot see how the wheel was turned out at such an angle without something being bent.
Anyway, I am driving now, and it does seem to wander a little, left and right. Maybe most of the ball joints have been stressed, and allowing this.
The only thing that I know for sure is, don't ever go near that body shop in Guadalajara.
Ajijic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler