Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
rtalnadge
AF Newbie

97 Suburban won't start, runs with starting fluid

First off, I have a 97 suburban K1500 csfi 5.7l - v8 - vortec 4x4. Let me start with a little history of my problem, I had a cold start problem, would not start in the morning unless I sprayed a little starting fluid, then ran fine after it started, after engine warmed up starting was not a problem, after reading hundreds of post to narrow the possible problem decided that it needed a new fuel pressure regulator, changed out the fuel pressure regulator and still had the same problem, but now, it developed a problem when driving at normal speed and when stepping on the accelerator it would stutter a little and then resume normally. I figured I was having a fuel problem so I checked the fuel rail check valve and fuel only dribbled out. At first I thought I might have a clogged fuel filter so I replaced it with a new one, but the problem continued, so I thought the fuel pump must be going out and installed a new one. It took about 2 hrs. to change it, not that big a deal.

Now the darn thing will not start, it cranks but nothing, a little starting fluid and
it runs till its used up. So I thought possibly the new pump was bad, so I reinstalled
the old pump at least it worked, but still not starting, again with a little starting fluid
it runs till its used up. The fuel rail check still only dribbled out, forgot to check this
after I installed the new one, so I decided to go ahead and put the new fuel pump
back in again so I can check to see if it was malfunctioning, I can hear it cycle (clicking sound) and proceeded to check the fuel rail check valve for pressure, It had plenty of pressure now, the fuel shot out of it, I don't have a pressure gauge, but it's a lot better than before.

Now I'm stumped, but after reading multiple posts this could either be an ignition problem or an electrical problem.

So far I have replaced the following items now:

1) Spark Plugs
2) Spark Plug Wires
3) Distributor Cap and Rotor
4) Crankshaft Position Sensor

Not sure if I needed items 1-3 as I am getting spark, but was about time to replace them anyway. I also have on order a Camshaft Position Sensor, Ignition Control
Module and just for kicks ordered a new Fuel Pump Wire Harness, since the New
Fuel Pump did not come with one.

Other possibilities I have checked:

Service Engine Light is not on - scanner comes up with no codes found.

Security Light is not on-so passlock has not been triggered.

Tested Fuel Injector housing with a test light and Fuel Injectors have voltage to the positive side, nothing to the negative side.

Fuses checked and no blown fuses.

Fuel Pump Relay checked - light clicking sound heard so that should mean it's good.

OK, my question is, would a bad fuel pump wire harness allow the fuel pump
to work but make a incomplete circuit in the rest of the system?

I need help now and would appreciate any sound advice. -THANKS
rtalnadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

Re: 97 Suburban won't start, runs with starting fluid

Welcome to AF. 1st off you're spending a lot of money on parts that may not be needed. Today's cars require proper diagnosing to get to the bottom of issues such as yours.

Your issue definitely sounds like a fuel issue. So, you need to buy, rent or borrow a fuel press gauge and post back the readings so we can help you and fuel squirting out of the rail is no help at all.

Next is the fuel pump. What brand did you put in? If it was not an AC Delco/Delphi that was matched to your VIN number then there may be issues there. The clicking noise from the pump is also suspect as it should be a "humming" for about 2 secs when the key is turned on.

Next is to check the pump ground. It's usually located on a cross rail just forward of the tank.

Again, welcome and hopefully one of the moderators will move this thread to the "Suburban" forum. If not, then we'll just work from here.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
rtalnadge
AF Newbie

Thanks for your quick response, when I said clicking sound from fuel pump, I mean a hummmmm.
I' m a newbie so I'm sorry if I didn't explain it right.
rtalnadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
wilkerson3
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem with my Suburban. What did you find out?
wilkerson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
dcnat
AF Newbie

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the exact same problem with my 97 suburban
dcnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnat View Post
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the exact same problem with my 97 suburban
with a cold start issue the fuel pressure with these engines require 62-65PSI. key on engine off.

this old post with the fuel squirts real good is B.S. ! get a pressure gauge .

also new pump means nothing .................after install you measure the pressures.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
wilkerson3
AF Newbie

We did pressure test with fuel gauge and determined it was the spider assembly. There was another very helpful post (or maybe it was another site, sorry this was 1 1/2 yrs ago) that showed what the pressure should be - ignition turned (but not started) and what pressure did after this (held pressure or not), pressure when started, etc. It was narrowing down what could be causing the problem is pressure responding accordingly.

Sorry I don't know where this post is, but the experts in here had answered someone else problem and it worked perfect for us. Do as jCat said and use the fuel pressure gauge.

I just remembered and found these two links that I was using to find my problem. Hopefully these might help.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/...uel-injector-1

- this site also has fuel pressure testing that could take you down another path other than spider assembly. If you do a little poking around you should be able to find testing pressures and if XX pressure then proceed with these tests and if another pressure then go down this path.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0b4c...s-battery.html

Good Luck!
wilkerson3 is offline   Reply With Quote