Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 11:13 AM   #1
dsteinschneider
AF Newbie

Selling 1980 320is Callaway in CT

I have owned this car since 1995. Some history on the car previous. Back in 1982 I installed a Callaway Stage II system in my Rabbit. A friend of mine's dad drove the car and decided to upgrade his 320is. We drove the 320is up to the Callaway factory in Old Lyme, CT with an $8,000 check because my friend's dad wanted the suspension, BBS wheels, intercooler, stage II with microfueler and some other minor tuning improvements.

The car was truly awesome to drive. From time to time I would drive it to deliver it to Florida or taking a trip with my friend. For 10 years it was garaged and treated with top notch care. In 1991 my friends father moved out of the house that enough space to garage the car to a smaller house and the 320 was parked outside under a cover. I tried to buy it at that time but for three years the car sat mostly. Finally in 1995 I bought the car with 80K miles but was dismayed to find that it was rusting around the rear lights, the front windshield, rocker panels, under the floorboards, and the bottom of the fenders. Because the rust was barely visible and not in places like the strut towers I simply cleaned up the car and used Xtend to stem further rusting. One other disappointment was the Polaris Metallic paint had a whiteish hue in places which didn't really show up if the car was waxed frequently. Also the 16" BBS rims had not held up to CT road conditions and had been replaced with ARC 14" rims. I put snows on the ARC rims and purchased 15" Motoform Cobras with Toyo Proxes 195/15s. I drove the car 50K over the last 5 years but replaced it with this spring with a euro 635Csi.

The turbo center section froze up last fall, the car drives fine but of course there is no boost. I replaced the center section on a couple of my previous Callaway cars at about the same mileage.

I have all service documentation, the car has continually been in the car of W. Jennings Co whose proprietor, Ward Jennings, performed the original conversion as an employee at Callaway. The mechanical subsystems are in very good shape.

I'm in the process of borrowing a digital camera to get some photos together.

Please let me know if you are interested. I'm going to sell it for under $1000

Doug
dsteinschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 12:58 PM   #2
bmwworld
AF Regular

What a great car, and a real bargain! What would it take to fix the turbo?
bmwworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 05:27 PM   #3
dsteinschneider
AF Newbie

The Callaway turbos on my VW's were a different brand but I would imagine the cost is similar. The center sections ran about $400 and took about 4 - 5 hours to replace.

Doug
Old 06-11-2001, 08:25 PM   #4
dsteinschneider
AF Newbie

I added a web page at www.w-systems-ct.tzo.com/myweb if you want to see pictures or look at the original Callaway 320i Turbo brochure
Old 06-17-2001, 01:21 PM   #5
JCHURCH
AF Newbie

help

Cant see the sales brouchure from calloway can you mail it to me?
jaandassociates@yahoo.com

Thanks
JChurch
JCHURCH is offline   Reply With Quote