Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 08:35 PM   #1
mattg6
AF Newbie

Question 330xi vs. Audi S4 - HELP!!

BMW 330xi vs. Audi S4
Ok, I've been brooding over this for weeks now and I just cannot decide so I'm asking for some input:
Here's the deal:

I like the BMW interior a whole lot more, I'd get it w/ the titanium finish, sport package (which, everyone should note, comes with a sportier suspension), and the like. I think the 330xi as a car, passing on the street, looks better. This however, is at the expense of its flashiness, which can be good or bad, depending on your background.

The S4 is obviously the faster car and it probably handles slightly better (I say probably because I have not tested both on ALL terrains, but this is the impression that I get). It's the type of car that you could pull up to a light in, look over at a notoriously sporty car next to you, smile, and burn it off the line, without them expecting it (if they didn't know much about cars)

Judging from this description you might think that the S4 is by far the better sports car, yet at the level at which these two cars compete, are the perfomance differences SO significant that it's not worth getting the better looking car?

As a side note: How much faster (0-60, and 80-110-ish) is the S4 than the 330xi? I mean i've read a variety of reviews that all give conflicting numbers; anyone ACTUALLY driven both, somewhat consecutively and can comment?

Anything you can contribute would extremely helpful!
thanks so much,
Matt

Mattg6@aol.com
mattg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:25 AM   #2
Jaimito
AF Newbie

Is it really important for you to have 4WD? I've tried 330xi and 330i, and the 330i seems to corner a bit better and had less body roll when driven hard. The suspension settings for Xi is higher, so the center of gravity is also slightly higher. You will also save more money on the 2WD version. Haven't tried the S4. It's MSRP is much higher than 330i where I live, so I don't consider it as a direct competitor.
Jaimito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:33 AM   #3
EdgarFan659
AF Regular

I just wanted to note one thing about your post - the 330xi sport package does not come with the sport tuned suspension. This is only standard on the 330i/ci and an option on the 325i/ci. The sport package on the 330xi gives you the double spoke wheels (style 79), the sport steering wheel, sport seats in the front, and the M aerodynamics package.

Also, when it comes down to the two cars, I say go with what you want most in a car. No one knows better than yourself about what you are looking for, whether it be looks or pure performance. The S4 is a damn fast car, no doubt, and it's cheaper to mod. The 330xi gives you a not-as-fast car (but still pretty fast) but also with the looks and quality of a BMW. And like you said too, the 330xi has the S4 beat for interior and luxury.

I thought the S4 had only limited production this year? My friend who's got an S4 was muttering something about that to me the other day when he was talking about the "redesigned" S4 that is coming out next year.

So if you want the faster car, go S4. For the money, it has great speed and decent looks with AWD.
If you want the best looking car that is almost as fast and handles almost as good, go 330xi.

Sorry I don't have any 0-60 times on the S4 for you. I've seen a couple of articles online that have compared the two, and it seems that most people who were partial to the BMW "look" took the bimmer over the S4. I seem to think that the S4 was about a 6.0 sec 0-60 but I'm not too certain.
EdgarFan659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:48 AM   #4
EdgarFan659
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaimito
Is it really important for you to have 4WD? I've tried 330xi and 330i, and the 330i seems to corner a bit better and had less body roll when driven hard. The suspension settings for Xi is higher, so the center of gravity is also slightly higher. You will also save more money on the 2WD version. Haven't tried the S4. It's MSRP is much higher than 330i where I live, so I don't consider it as a direct competitor.
AWD is awesome if you live in places that gets a lot of snow or if you frequently have to drive on slick roads. My jeep has part time 4WD, so on regular days it allows me to drive with RWD and then on bad surfaces I can engage the 4WD. You wouldn't believe how horribly my jeep handles in the snow if I don't have the 4WD on... even on really rainy days I will peel out from a stop at intersections in RWD.
EdgarFan659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:15 PM   #5
my330xi
AF Newbie

i also had the same problem a month ago. i was stuck between the s4 and 330xi. but at the end i got the 330xi. the s4 is faster, but i like the bmw looks better and the interior is much better than the s4. and the s4 base price is $10000 canadian more then the 330xi. i don't think is worth it because the s4 looks better than the new a4, but the car is outdated and i know when the new s4 comes out i will regret it.
my330xi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series