Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
DonRose
AF Newbie

Shifter Problem

I have a HHR with a 5 speed manual. The problem is that if I shit to quickly the shifter may not allow selection of the desired gear. I usuall end up in neutral and can not get into any gear but if I move the shifter to the original gear then shift to the desired gear.

Just so you know I have been driving sitck for more than 40 years, I have only had one automatic in that time.

The are fine so the problem is the shifter or something in the trans.

I would change the shifter but I have not seen an after market shifter for The HHR. Will a sifter from a Saturn work I have had no issues with my 97 SL2.

Any suggestion are appreciated
DonRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
alan &marge pepper
AF Newbie

Re: Shifter Problem

your hydrulic cylinder is not releasing your clutch as fast as it should.
check to see if this is whats happening. i am kind of guessing here for i do not have a manual to check for you.
alan &marge pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
DonRose
AF Newbie

alan &marge pepper

Thanks for the reply. I don't think you are correct since it seem to be the speed of moving the lever. I will check and maybe bleed the clutch.

Does anyone have a diagram of the internals of the shifter? It may pinpoint an area to look into.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
TiggersHHR
AF Newbie

Hello, I resently had to have my 5-speed shifter replaced due to an annoying sqeacking sound that had developed. However, my HHR is a 2007 and the replacement that they used felt like it was lower that the original. Upon inspection of my vehicle to other 07's I found I was correct. I was told by the dealer that the one they installed was the only one offered. Due to the fact that the 09 console is higher that mine is what makes up the difference. Me personnelly - I like the lower shifter. Feels better to me and I can get to my window controls eaiser. Wife has reservations about it - but then again she doesn't get to drive it that much. TTFN - Tigger
TiggersHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
DonRose
AF Newbie

The problem with the shifter has been resolved. After living with this problem for so long I decided to by an after market shifter. During the installation the root cause of the problem was evident. While disassembling the shifter the housing for the cable popped up and out of the slot that should have held it fast to the shifter housing. This is the part of the cable that must be stationary so the cable is anchored allowing the center of the cable to push and pull.

When it was time to reassemble the cable into the housing I was able to snap the cable in place and seat it properly. This mean it was never installed properly. It is shifting great now.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > HHR