Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Concorde
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
bowhuntrrl
AF Newbie

Throttle stuck open-2nd time in 7 days !!

It happened to me the first time last weekend. I went to pass a line of slow traffic doing 30. I accelerated and the trans kicked down. I don't think I had mashed it to the floor. Throttle stuck down and accelerating full tilt boogie !! I immediately realized what had happened and shut the key off. I wrestled it to the side of the road with no power steering or power brakes. First thing I checked was the floor mat ( a la Toyota). That wasn't the problem. I leaned down and the pedal was stuck against the firewall. I opened the hood and checked the linkage at the T body. It looked okay. I went inside and checked the pedal again and it had unstuck itself.

Last Monday, I had it to my local dealer to check the problem. It's a small town dealer with good techs that I know. I was working with the tech on it. He told me that they had never even replaced a throttle cable on these Concordes because it was such a good set up. He felt the linkage, lubed everything and mashed it to the floor many times (engine off). The throttle body didn't look carboned up. We couldn't feel any roughness or get it to stick. No problem found.

Today I was on the turnpike in western Massachusetts and went to pass at about 75 mph. mashed the throttle, it stuck down and away we went again. I had to look for a hole to get across 2 lines before I shut it down. Finally got it on the grass off the breakdown lane. Once again, checked the mat, Ok. Opened the hood and looked. All looked good. Blipped the linkage on the hood side, felt just fine. Went back inside, it had freed itself !!

Anyone have any ideas ?? This is my wife's car, a 2002 Concorde Limited with the 3.5 HO. I don't really like the idea of her commuting to work in it with the potential for this problem. I may have the dealer contact Chrysler tomorrow to see if they have had any other problems like this.

I know there is no trans kick down cable, but in my mind, I think that the fact it sticks when kicking down may be related somehow. When at the dealer, we checked the engine mounts and all seemed well

My thought is to start by replacing the throttle cable, but somehow I don't think that will fix it. Help !!!!!!
bowhuntrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
bowhuntrrl
AF Newbie

Re: Throttle stuck open-2nd time in 7 days !!

I thought that I would follow up on this to maybe help someone else. It turns out that the problem must have been caused by the winter floor mats. They didn't appear to be interfering, but after I took them out, the problem never reoccurred, The moral of the story is that if your throttle sticks, take out your mats and give that a try !!
bowhuntrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Concorde