Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
nabz
AF Newbie

01 spyder Infinity audio

i just bought a 01 eclipse spyder gt and i want to put in my own stereo in which is a Pioneer DEH-8500MP the car has the Infinity audio system in it.

i was informed that i can not just get a harness and install my new stereo something to do with the amp and needs to be bypassed with rewireing and it would cost me 200 bucks to do. I want to know how i could install it on my own as i do not want to pay another 200 bucks for a stereo i payed 500 dollars for earlier. so any help on how i could do this would be very helpful.

I do not know much about the car as i just recently got it and i know only very little about stereo system installations.

nab
nabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:12 PM   #2
02EclipseGT
AF Newbie

Re: 01 spyder Infinity audio

I know how you feel! I got an 02 GT Eclipse and the same stereo that you got (DEH-8500MP). You do have to buy a amp bypass because your factory system has an ampifier already, and if you want to use your stronger amplifier that is in the DEH-8500MP, you have to buy an amp bypass. Whoever told you that it cost $200 to get that installed was lying or stupid or they got ripped off. I got mine installed at Tweeter and it was $70 for the radio install and $15 extra for the amp-bypass. It's well worth the trouble tho, that radio is awesome.
02EclipseGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
nabz
AF Newbie

i would like to do it my own self because i know how to install the stereo but what does the amp bypass involve?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
eclipseGTO
AF Newbie

Basically take out the speaker wires from the amp and put run it directly to the stereo.
eclipseGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #5
nabz
AF Newbie

Where is the amp located.. and how do i know which wires to attach where because there is no harness availible for the spyder versions of the eclipse.

nab
Old 12-31-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
eclipseGTO
AF Newbie

I'm not real sure, (I don't have this infiniti stereo) but in most cars it's usually underneath the center console or further up under the center of the dash. It's really easy to take out the center console, you'll have to rip your center console (where your shifter is) out all the way to your aircon controls and old stereo's clock thing on the dash if you're going to replace the stereo, once u get all that out, the amp is bound to be in there there somewhere.
just look up on neweclipse.org you'll find all the clip and claw positions and you can just rip the puppy apart.
Once you find your amp, you'll need the harnesses for your new stereo and also maybe some harneses to connect the old wiring to the new harnesses. be prepared to strip some wires and join them, it's really not too hard, just match wire colors, most wires are also labeled, like rear left, front right, mid-left.... you get the point. basically never let anyone touch your car especially people who install stereos they usually dont know what they are doing and f things up. if u wnat to get your new system f-ed up you might as well do it yourself rather then pay them $200 to do it.

sorry if i was alittle confusing messeage me and I'll send u some step by step insturcs
Old 12-31-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
eclipseGTO
AF Newbie

correct me if i'm wrong.
amp bypass is just the harness that you connect your wires you ripped out from your old amp to connect to your new system. it might also contain some limiting device so u don't blow your stock speakers. basically if u just do it yourself and dont' use the amp bypass, be careful when u are are done don't turn it on too loud or your speaker cones will crack.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:07 AM   #8
Quest1127
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabz
Where is the amp located..
Beneath the front passenger seat.
Quest1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #9
Rulez
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rulez

There are adapters that you can by for all this. No need to rip anything apart. My Pioneer HU still utilizes the stock amp and speakers, plus a seperate amp which powers only the sub.
www.fiautosports.com
Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #10
nabz
AF Newbie

how would i go about getting these parts? i do not know anything about it.. and i dont want to pay the 150 to install a god damn stereo i bought for 400. If u can give me exact names and perhaps links that would be just great.

nabz

2001 Eclipse spyder GT
Old 12-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
Fayth143
AF Newbie

Unhappy Speaker Cover - Help

This message is for both of you two: I'm not quite as technical as you both seem to be, but all this info. is awesome, and I plan on using it once I remove the speaker cover. Oh that's right...its attached to the dash. Can someone instruct me on how to remove my blown in dash speaker??? And what size is it, so that I might have a new one ready to go? Is there anything finicky I might need to know about this seemingly simple procedure. (things like this make me miss my piece-of-crappola Toyota)
Fayth143 is offline   Reply With Quote