Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 01:23 AM   #1
Spanky1106
AF Newbie

Multiple Bolt Snaps Belt Tensioner Pulley

I have a strange issue with my 06 Honda Odyssey. My bolt for the serpentine belt tensioner has broken off in the block for the third time. Getting the bolt out isn't the issue, although a pita. After purchase, 200-500 miles later the first break happens, I replaced the bolt. It broke again after 200-300 miles. After the second break, I replace the tensioner. The bolt broke again after 200-300 miles. So obviously, there is a problem somewhere else. I did some investigating and found out that before I bought it, the power steering pump was leaking and repaired by a mechanic/shop. I'm not sure if the power steering pump was replaced. I assume so. That piqued my interest though because all 3 breaks happened in reverse at very low speeds while turning the wheel. It all points back to the power steering pump repair. Has anybody out there seen anything like this? What could the mechanic of done to cause this or is the pump failing somehow, idk? btw the belt didn't break and it ran perfectly between bolt breaks.

Thank you for any help or advice you can give.
Spanky1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Re: Multiple Bolt Snaps Belt Tensioner Pulley

Spanky; first, welcome to Automotive Forums..
as far as multiple tensioner breaks, wow.. usually a non-serviceable item;
1 every 80k to maybe 180k; or never...
if bolt is snapping (grade 5 to grade 8, sometimes grade 10-- you are talking 80-91,000; upto 120,000 psi tensile strength!!) it might be tensioner has sprung and is torque-ing and will not budge, only attempt to tighten..
but if it is a 45-80 dollar tensioner also look at belt part number..
you might need tensioner and belt..
many shops carry some common items on shelf, and order in from parts stores the rest.. if the wait for a serp belt was 3 hours from the pep boys on academy, or special order from carquest, as they had to go grab it from the old warehouse off sierra madre; the tech might have rifled the inventory and found a 3" shorter ribbed belt and stretched it onto the tensioner, keeping the spring taught..
it is probably just bad tensioner, look at receipts and see when p/s pump was serviced (if you have from previous owner?) if they itemized what was Removed + Replaced..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Odyssey