Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #16
lilloon
AF Newbie

Re: Ball Joints - Which Brand is the best for the money???

you are right. i am wrong. when i went to a corperate traing session in southfield at the hq, i asked the rep about trw. he didnt speak highly of them. strange. i guess you learn somthing new every day. my mistake.
lilloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
DoubleC
AF Newbie

I not Only back Moog for its quality but if you have noticed moog comes with a lifetime warrenty that XRF will not offer
DoubleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #18
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I never got a bad Moog ball joint that fit. I had a 1979 chevy impala which I used a ball joint press and removed the joints. I got two moog ball joints and I could push them in with my fingers. I went back to the parts store and checked the part number got two more and one fit. He called another store 13miles away and he used a dial indicator one of his four would work. I had to drive to the store and pickup. While I got the job done I wasted more time getting parts.
This was around 1985 I purchased a garage business a few years later. I used Moog parts a Chevy Impala came in which needed ball joints the mechanic removed the old joints and the same problem occured. I called the parts store and they sent two more they also didn't fit. I called Napa and they delivered two that fit. Moog used to have a magazine with a place for tips. I wrote about this and said use Napa ball joints for the solution. They sent out a factory man. I tried a couple on another impala a few months later same problem. If I have to press in a ball joint I use TRW never had a problem.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
wafrederick
Banned

Moog also makes ball joints for Carqest and Napa.My father and I use Carquest ball joints which are made by Moog and says on the box.We put in only Moog becuase they stand behind their parts and their lifetime warranty is the best.My brother had a problem sending a ball joint back to Advanced and would not cover under warranty because the offst of his tires
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #20
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Carquest blue box is Moog, they also have a cheapie line and that comes in a red box.
old_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #21
ajkolar
AF Newbie

Go with MOOG, nothing else.
ajkolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
P.B
AF Newbie

Hey, I have a technical question about ball joints on a Baja car that I am working on. The car is being constructed from scratch, except for the engine, gearbox and CVT.
Our team is responsible for designing the geometry of the front suspension links on the Baja car. We are running into some problems with our suspension geometry.

We are using Frap ball joints, part number 2443, to connect the front upper and lower A-arms of the suspension system to the knuckle of the Baja car as seen in the picture

We would like to have a full vertical wheel travel of about 10 inches. We are in the process of checking the suspension geometry and the suspension links for interference, and we noticed that in order to accommodate the vertical travel of 10", the lower ball joint on the knuckle exceeds its angular range, as stated in the Frap catalogue of 30 degrees, when the tire is at its fully lowered position. I was wondering if there is any other ball joints that have a larger angular range, that would be able to accommodate the full range of vertical wheel travel of 10 inches. We found that we would need a ball joint that can accommodate a maximum angular displacement of 44.5 degrees

Are you aware of any such ball joints? Do you know anyone who might have experience with this issue in the past who may be able to help me?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
P.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #23
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

You might contact Federal Mogul Corporation in Southfield, Michigan, (USA) They are the parent company of Moog and TRW. Federal Mogul is a tier 1 supplier to the automotive manufacturers. http://www.federalmogul.com/en-US/Co...ages/home.aspx In the upper right corner of the web page you can select UK if that would help.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #24
P.B
AF Newbie

After searching for a bit I found two ball joints that might be useful to me, they are the MOOG DS804, and the MOOG-ES3017R. They are bended male tie rods, and they have the right direction of angle between their faces. I need them to be angled so that the threaded parts of the ball joint are closer together, like this one:

The minimum angle that the bend is must be 15 degrees for the ball joint to work for me. Does anyone know of a ball joint that would meet this criteria? Also I have been looking for either a CAD model of these ball joints, or a spec sheet to tell me the exact angular offset that they have, but I haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know where I can find a CAD model of these parts, or find a spec sheet that will show me what angle the offset is?

Thanks
P.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #25
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Although it's a spherical joint, a tie rod is typically not designed to carry the weight of a vehicle. While a good tie rod can survive the several hundred pounds of radial load placed upon it while controlling radial movement, it would likely fail instantly if subjected to the several thousand pounds of axial load expected for ball joints.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info