Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #16
firun
AF Regular

Re: Revell USA Q1 2016 releases flier

Well I guess time has come to learn Blender and purchase Formlabs 3D-printer. Companies like Revell are outdated with their pretty modest releases.

My kits collection.
firun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #17
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

A photo of the Ford GT at the Chicago Auto show. The best car at the show was the red one....

F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:11 AM   #18
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

....la nostra "stradale "...

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #19
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Modest offerings are one thing. One or two kits a years is a disappointment, but if the kits are any good we'll live. And how many times to I see Tamiya raked over the coals for making only a couple kits, and them having "simplified" engines or whatever. People freak out! I wish they made kits like the old Supra, R32, or NSX, at least the new, "simple" kits have headlight buckets and fit properly!

The Porsche is apparently a cool kit. The Enzo surprised everyone - but that was what, five years ago? More? Their bread and butter is going to be repoping kits like the Camaro, the Chevy truck, and the Corvette. Those are totally OK kits, that only suffer of the regular Revell transgressions. But I wish they wouldn't even bother with stuff like the big-wheeled Camaro or Mustang - dollars to donuts, the tires are four scale inches wide, and the wheels on the Camaro are a joke. People will be buying the weird, one-off Aoshima "Family Cobra" Honda Odyssey kit just to have a decent version that style of wheel.

And sure, some people have made the 2015 Mustang look nice, but there is no excuse for having to paint clever trompe l'oeil in lieu of actually molded headlights. None. I'm all for attracting new modelers, but how disappointed will those new modelers be when they become experienced modelers?

I didn't intend to make a rant out of this - my general reaction to their lineup is an emphatic shrug. I wouldn't be buying a GT anyway, even if it was a great kit. But geez. We shouldn't tolerate this. We can't justify making our own decals to replace stickers for something as key to the look of a car as the graphics on the side of a Ford Raptor. How is this ok?

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willimo For This Useful Post:
nascar49 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:02 AM   #20
nascar49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nascar49 Send a message via Yahoo to nascar49

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo View Post
Modest offerings are one thing. One or two kits a years is a disappointment, but if the kits are any good we'll live. And how many times to I see Tamiya raked over the coals for making only a couple kits, and them having "simplified" engines or whatever. People freak out! I wish they made kits like the old Supra, R32, or NSX, at least the new, "simple" kits have headlight buckets and fit properly!

The Porsche is apparently a cool kit. The Enzo surprised everyone - but that was what, five years ago? More? Their bread and butter is going to be repoping kits like the Camaro, the Chevy truck, and the Corvette. Those are totally OK kits, that only suffer of the regular Revell transgressions. But I wish they wouldn't even bother with stuff like the big-wheeled Camaro or Mustang - dollars to donuts, the tires are four scale inches wide, and the wheels on the Camaro are a joke. People will be buying the weird, one-off Aoshima "Family Cobra" Honda Odyssey kit just to have a decent version that style of wheel.

And sure, some people have made the 2015 Mustang look nice, but there is no excuse for having to paint clever trompe l'oeil in lieu of actually molded headlights. None. I'm all for attracting new modelers, but how disappointed will those new modelers be when they become experienced modelers?

I didn't intend to make a rant out of this - my general reaction to their lineup is an emphatic shrug. I wouldn't be buying a GT anyway, even if it was a great kit. But geez. We shouldn't tolerate this. We can't justify making our own decals to replace stickers for something as key to the look of a car as the graphics on the side of a Ford Raptor. How is this ok?
Its sad, but as of late, when talking about Revell, it always seems to turn into a rant.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #21
mattbacon
AF Enthusiast

Personally, I'm quite happy with Revell (including RoG) new releases, and Tamiya's. It's not everything I might want (where's that state of the art E-Type?), but folk like Ebbro are coming along to make some nice kits of cars I never thought I'd see in 1/24 plastic form. At the end of the day, these companies aren't there to fulfil our wishes as petrolhead modellers, but to make money. We don't think like them; their marketing guys don't think like us. But don't wrote them off as stupid. You want a company that produces exactly what we want, because it's run by petrolhead modellers? Moebius doesn't do so bad. But if you want something that is to the 1:24/5 automodeller what Wingnut Wings is to the 1:32 WW1 aircraft modeller, then you better find the equivalent of Peter Jackson's money, personal passion, and tame 3D design studio staffed with expert modellers and enthusiastic WW1 history buffs. Has anyone asked Jay Leno if he'd sponsor/fund a line of 1:25 (ok, I'll compromise) kits of the inhabitants of his garage...? Actually, maybe that's not such a stupid idea.... ;-)

bestest,
M.
mattbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #22
blubaja
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to blubaja Send a message via MSN to blubaja Send a message via Yahoo to blubaja

Revell's target audience is to children who have zero interest in the hobby. And will get no exposure to it. Like trying to sell a mortgage plan to a homeless.
blubaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:14 AM   #23
petesy
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaja View Post
Revell's target audience is to children who have zero interest in the hobby.
Or people who are stuck in the 60's.
petesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #24
Exotics_Builder
AF Regular

Whereas I don't agree with a lot of their offerings or level of detail, Revell USA is targeted to North America (USA mainly) and seems to be doing well. Revell of Germany targets Europe and their plans are totally separate.

Right now, Star Wars models are the big thing for Revell. I hope they sell tons of them if it provides for future offerings more detail oriented modelers will enjoy.

I guess it will be a wait and see on whether newer, more detailed models show up in subsequent quarter releases. Otherwise, my wallet will stay fatter.
Exotics_Builder is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling