Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
64 Chevy
AF Enthusiast

Slide Back Rag Tops

Does any one here have experince scratchbuilding a slide back rag top for a model? I have a few ideas but would like imput on this. Oh yeah this will be going on a truck.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:34 AM   #2
Ranger_X
AF Enthusiast

hrrrm, it'll be difficult for sure, especially if you want to display it rolled up. All I can think of is to cut the exact size of fabric you want, and attach it on either end to some very thin metal plates. Maybe mount some flexible, thin plastic on the edges transversely so you can get a more realistic effect.

What kind of truck is it going on? Good luck!
Ranger_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:24 AM   #3
BWheel
AF Regular

I take it you won't want this to actually WORK, just to be either in the open or closed position? (You could probably make 2 here, and have one open and one closed...)

There are 2 ways you could do this. The first, and probably slightly easier option would be to get a sheet of lead (Available from Verlinden Productions, but others are available). This is a very thin lead sheet, and can be bent in any way, some modelers here may use these for seatbelts on their cars.

Anyway, bend this gently into the shape you want, set it up nicely with the wave etc, and then spray it. You may want to experiment with the options of spraying this beforehand, but you may end up cracking the paint when you bend it. You'll have a hassle with spraying all over otherwise.

The other option is to use tissue paper (yeah, bog roll...) and set that in the way you want it. Then get a thin white glue solution (half and half, white glue and water), which you then spray gently onto the tissue. Obviously, very finely, as if you wet the tissue it will collapse. This is quite a slow process, let it dry between 'coats'.

This is quite tedious, and you may want to build some sort of 'jig' to hold the tissue a little so it doesn't collpase. It'll give you a very good effect though.

Once you have put a good few coats on the tissue, it will set hard enough that you can move it and spray it confidently with your color (probably matt black or similar...) and carry on as normal.

Good luck with it, have fun, and let us know how it turns out...
BWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:34 PM   #4
64 Chevy
AF Enthusiast

Thanks fot the ideas.

BWheel, do you know where this lead sheet can be purchased and what thickness would you reccomend? What i think im going to do is cover the lead with tissue paper to get a realistic look to it them fold the lead so it appears as the rag top is open.

Any other ideas from you guys?
Old 02-05-2003, 02:49 AM   #5
BWheel
AF Regular

Sorry, used the wrong term. It's actually called Lead FOIL, and is very thin. Verlinden Productions make the stuff, also Studio 27, but they're pretty expensive. Try your local hobby shop, or order from Verlinden direct at http://www.verlinden-productions.com/

The actual product number is just 50 - Lead Foil Any Scale

This stuff is pretty easy to use, and very thin. Good luck with it.
BWheel is offline   Reply With Quote