Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 959
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 03:24 PM   #1
TheScientist
Banned

Exclamation Porsceh 959 Just legalized!!

The Porsche 959 was just leagalized by the US, and owners don't have to hide it in the dark anymore.
TheScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:14 AM   #2
dmcgirl
AF Premium User

Talking

Awesome! thanks for posting that. I did a search and found an article. why wasn't that plastered all over the front page of the newspapers!!

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=09282484

some interesting points........

"Since Canepa was going to have to re-engineer the car’s intake and exhaust to meet federal emissions requirements for model year 1988, he decided to upgrade the engine’s performance. “We figured our emissions mods would drop output from 450 hp to 400 hp. So as long as we were gonna do this car emissions legal, [we decided to] see if we can bring the power up and fix what’s obsolete. After all, you can buy lots of production cars with 450 hp these days.”

"The engine produces 575 hp at 6000 rpm, and 501 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm. The stock 959 made 450 hp at 6500 rpm and 380 lb-ft at 5500 rpm. Full boost of 1.4 bar occurs at just 1500 rpm ."

"For four hundred large you want your money’s worth. Canepa has undertaken back-to-back tests with his modified 959 and a new RUF GT2. The RUF turned 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and took 11.9 seconds to reach 100 mph. The 959 goes from a standstill to 60 mph in 3.3 seconds and reaches 100 mph in 11.4 seconds. Top speed of the 959 is 215.
“We’re maintaining a McLaren F1 GTR,” says Canepa. “And after driving both cars, there’s just no comparison. The McLaren skips and jumps all over the
place. The 959 just squats and goes.”
And finally, after all these years, it can do it on these shores."

just squats and goes........oh what i would give......

Honestly Officer, I haven't been drinking. I'm just swerving to avoid the potholes.
dmcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:28 AM   #3
LVguy
AF Newbie

Interesting twist

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...threadid=88282

This letter appeared on another forum and is copyrighted, but I believe it's ok to reprint as long as it's done in it's entirety, according to the author's statement at the end. Very interesting information on the 959 and US certification to those of us who follow this stuff. The "I" in the first paragraph refers to the author, not me, and the decision to "post here" references the author's posting on another Forum.

I have decided to post here because of the volume of mis-information that has recently been printed in Excellence and Autoweek concerning the 959 and Mr. Canepa. Mr. Canepa had nothing to do with Show and Display. I asked Mr. Gate's contact person why they didn't use Mr. Canepa and was told tha tunder no circumstances would they use Mr. Canepa. Also, my letter to Excellence has somehow been released to third parties so I have decided to go public with what I know.
Having been retained by Mr. Gates to legalize his 959 and having consulted on the Show and Display law as well as having written the original "proof" package on the 959 and imported the first street legal 959 for Mr. John Dixon as well importing the first BMW Z1 I am dismayed to see Mr. Canepa receiving credit for things he has not done. Here is my response to the Excellence article. Intially Mr. Stout, the editor or Excellence, agreed to print it then reneged.

July 17, 2003

Editor
Excellence Magazine
PO Box 1529
Ross, CA 94957

To the Editor:

As the person who wrote the original research paper convincing the DOT to import the Porsche 959 under Show and Display (S&D) and having subsequently imported the first street legal 959 for Mr. John Dixon, I wish to correct several errors and add commentary to your September article on Mr. Canepa, “his” 959s, and the history of the 959.

The headline on the cover of the September issue is not correct. Information obtained under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) on all S&D cars imported as of 12/02 shows four 959s which were approved by DOT in 2001/2002 and certified by G&K, an EPA approved ICI in Santa Ana, CA. Three of the cars went to owners in CA and the fourth is a car in Seattle which I was involved with. So Mr. Canepa does not appear to have “certified” the first 50-state approved car. The S&D list also show three Porsche 959s which were certified by Northern California Diagnostic Laboratories NCDL) and are not on the list of 959s referenced in the Excellence article. It is interesting to note that Mr. Canepa and his company, Canepa Design, are not an EPA approved certification facility (ICI); hence, Mr. Canepa cannot certify a Porsche 959 or any vehicle. While the car in the Excellence article, Mr. Chandler’s 030, carries the sticker of the ICI, NCDL, and contracts exist between Mr. Canepa and NCDL for some type of conversion work (contracts obtained under FOIA), certification including the actual conversion work has never been formally approved by EPA although EPA has continued to look the other way when such subcontracting has occurred. I have the original list of all those who were to purchase the 959 Sport (US) models. There were in fact 30, not 29. Mr. Canepa ordered one of the original 30 (#905023). This information is from Porsche AG. I have represented the owner of 905001 which is for sale. There were in fact 284 959s originally built including the Sport models. In the early 1990s eight more were built, the last one being a red car registered to Michael Schumacher, current F1 World Champion, by his manager Willie Weber. Mr. Schumacher changed the color to silver and the car was sold in the late 1990s.

On page 65 of the Excellence article the author states that “… it (959) needs the catalyst setup Porsche didn’t bother to develop for it’ 250-ish run of 959s in the late eighties. The problem is that the stock Motronic engine management system is not set up to recognize the oxygen sensors required to make catalysts work.” This is not correct. I refer you to sheet five of the electrical diagram of the Porsche 959 Service Manual which clearly shows the wiring for one oxygen sensor. The definitive history on the 959, Jurgen Lewandowski’s “Porsche 959”, refers to the catalytic converter option (P. 115) and also lists the 959, internally known as F12SP, on page 159 that was used to develop a catalytic converter for the 959. The aforementioned Seattle 959 has Porsche catalyst systems which, at approximately $15,000.00 USD complete and installed, is far less than the amount it appears Mr. Canepa is charging. But don’t try calling Porsche to order one.

As to the stock Motronic engine management system not recognizing the oxygen sensor, it is only a matter of reprogramming the EPROM. The circuitry exists within the Motronic unit and is activated by the reprogramming.

In addition, I would like to make the following comments. The Bridgestone tires originally fitted to the 959 are readily available to a 959 owner direct and the cost is approximately that of the Michelins which Mr. Canepa is using as replacements. I am at a loss to explain why anyone would want or need to change this well designed system. Modifying the wheels as outlined in the article raises the question of whether such modifications are safe and in compliance with DOT regulations. The cam box seals are mentioned and it should be noted that the cam boxes themselves were prone to leakage and cracking. For a time, the cam boxes were unavailable from the subcontractor to Porsche but the part can now be ordered from Porsche.

It always amazes me how horsepower figures are given instant acceptance when in fact there is little or no hard data supplied to support hp claims. Many of the 959s were fitted with the “power option” upgrade which includes some plumbing upgrades but essentially involves spooling the twin turbos together rather than sequentially as originally built. The Motronic system is modified as well. True HP as determine under Porsche test environment guidelines is approximately 515.

From reading the article, one might assume that the cars whose serial numbers are listed on page 68 belong to Mr. Canepa. According to the S&D list, all the cars were imported by individuals who are successful businessmen. Only VIN 900233 is listed as belonging to Mr. Canepa. S&D was designed to severely limit the ability of car brokers to import cars using this regulation. If a car was brought in under S&D, application must be made to DOT before the car is sold. Also, any car coming into the US under the S&D program must have an application made BEFORE the car is entered into the US. Converted race cars such as David Morse’s 905023, have been denied because they were originally entered as race vehicles. Mind you, there are at least 10 959s which I opine are illegally in the US. Please note that the car listed in the article bearing VIN WP0ZZZ95ZHS900225 is in fact WP0ZZZ95ZJS900225.

Credit for legalizing the Porsche 959 for use on US roads should go to those who truly worked to make it happen. To Mr. Gates for creating S&D and Mr. Dixon for trusting me to bring in his car, the first street legal 959.

Bryan Milazzo

Permission to publish my email address and phone number is not granted.
I wish to see this letter printed in its entirety. If you are not willing to do this, I would request that you forward to me the changes you which to make so I may approve them.
This letter is copyrighted by me, Bryan Milazzo.
end quote
The "me" refers to Mr. Milazzo, not ME!

Don's Speedster
JOIN RENNLIST NOW RIGHT HERE
LVguy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 959