Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > NSX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:53 AM   #76
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97SLVRBullet
Yea, I checked on some other cars on that sight that I got the times off of and I they apparently have some horrible drivers, the times were not anywhere close to being right. You are correct on that.
did u check out the skyline r33 vs the mclaren f1? man, it made the skyline look like trash, hehe. but of course, the mclaren is one of the top exotics of the exotics. oh heres some fyi, guess what company mclaren originally wanted to build their motor? not ferrari, not lamborghini, and not mercedes, i'll let u guess it was too bad this company declined, grrr.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:27 AM   #77
'97SLVRBullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to '97SLVRBullet
Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Why am I thinking Acura?
C.A.I. Edelbrock shorties,all free mods,Borla's,MSD,LT4 timingchain, 1.6r/r,LT4 cam, NGK,p&p heads,ported maf ,52mmTB adj fuelpressure reg.,373's,pcm tune by pcmforless, all poly bushings,spohn t/a, s/t brace, etc. What I don't have..no egr no air pump and no cats

Well dip me in chocolate and
throw me to the lesbians!!!!!

'97SLVRBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:40 AM   #78
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Why would you want to buy an NSX (Seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97SLVRBullet
Why am I thinking Acura?
hehe, close. honda, honda makes acura. heres the article and link:

What makes the McLaren F1 such a special car? Performance. No other road car accelerates as fast, no other road car has a maximum speed of well over 230 mph. It can outperform every other road car by a large margin. But there is much more to it.

The McLaren F1 materialises the dream of a single man. Not just any man, but one of the most imaginative and successful engineers that Formula 1 racing has known. Gordon Murray designed the Brabham-Alfa Romeo "fan" car that in 1978 won its first and only Grand Prix-- then was immediately banned because it simply dwarfed the opposition. Murray was probably the first man to incorporate carbon fibre into the structure of Formula 1 cars, and he designed the world champion Brabham- BMW of 1983. When he moved to McLaren, it was to design a sports car to beat the world, and he was given carte blanche by Mansour Ojeh and Ron Dennis to pursue the dream, regardless of cost. The target Murray set was that the car should be as compact as possible, yet practical, weigh no more than 1000 kg. (2205 lb.) dry and be powered by an atmospheric engine (for immediate response) developing at least 550 BHP.

At the time, McLaren was racing successfully with Honda engines, and it seemed logical to approach Honda for an engine meeting Murray's requirements. But the Japanese declined, feeling that they could not spare the capacity to develop such a project. So Murray then turned to BMW Motorsport and his old friend Paul Rosche, who had provided the engines to the Brabham team while Murray was in charge. Rosche enthusiastically accepted.

Starting from a clean sheet of paper, Rosche and his team designed and developed a superb, all- aluminium 6.1-litre, 48-valve V-12, and it was a huge success right from the start. It immediately produced the required power and went on to develop as much as 627 BHP. Concurrently, the American Traction Company developed a fantastically compact transverse transaxle incorporating a differential with a 40-percent locking factor. To reach his weight target, Murray had no choice as to the material to be used for the car's structure: It could be only carbon-fibre composites, mostly in the form of an aluminium honeycomb sandwich, while, wherever possible, the mechanical parts were made of aluminium and magnesium.

There is hardly a component in the car that has not been specially designed for it, mostly to save weight. A typical example is the Kenwood CD stereo system. The unit proposed by the manufacturer weighed 37.5 lb. Murray said he would accept only half that weight. The company took on the challenge and eventually came up with a system even better than the original, weighing only 18.7 lb. Finally, the car weighs 1100 kg. (2425 lb.) dry, and Gordon Murray's biggest disappointment is that he had to give up the idea of carbon brake discs, as used in racing cars. It proved impossible to make them grip sufficiently at low temperatures, especially in wet conditions. The switch to cast-iron discs cost him 39.7 lb. In the end, however, Rosche more than made up for the 220 lb. beyond the target weight by extracting some 75 BHP more from his engine than originally required by Murray.

go to did u know? and theres a link on that page.
http://www.runeb.org/www_docs/Jexoti...exmain_all.htm
Old 10-23-2004, 02:49 AM   #79
'97SLVRBullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to '97SLVRBullet

WOW! I did not know that.
C.A.I. Edelbrock shorties,all free mods,Borla's,MSD,LT4 timingchain, 1.6r/r,LT4 cam, NGK,p&p heads,ported maf ,52mmTB adj fuelpressure reg.,373's,pcm tune by pcmforless, all poly bushings,spohn t/a, s/t brace, etc. What I don't have..no egr no air pump and no cats

Well dip me in chocolate and
throw me to the lesbians!!!!!

'97SLVRBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 10:51 PM   #80
yellownsx
AF Newbie

There were also some years the the Corvette was sinfully slow. In the middle 1970s some of those cars only had 200 hourse power!

Don't get me wrong, I still think you get the most bang for the buck on a new Vette. I just didn't want to be another Vette owner ( the same argument might also be made for the Cobra Mustang )

By the way, I will eat up a non ZO-6 on any twisty curvey track, You've got balls, but I've got balance, Hell, look what it was fending off for three out of 4 laps!

Not dis'ing the Corvette, both cars are good at something. I have beaten a Vette or two with just 270hp, and in turn gotten beat.
yellownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #81
yellownsx
AF Newbie

By the way I thought the Saleen S-7 had a slightly better 0-60 than the McLaren F1 (sorry for drifting off topic) Both are great cars but the McLaren does not pass EPA standards in America, to make it come close slows the car down!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #82
GreenGlowC5
AF Newbie

How dose the 50,000 dollar vette always get thrown into this.....

Im not even an NSX owner but I can tell you why some one wuld want one....

1) your getting somthing more rare than most people recognize..

Even if it is a Honda...

Look through an exotic car calander and theres a good chance that the NSX will be there...

You wont see a 350Zor an WRX sti..

Normally the leaste expensive car in th calander will be the corvette....

50 grand is like the bottom end for super cars.....
Aything under 50 grand ( reguardless of the performance) is just to mainstream..

Most people can afford 20 thousand dollar cars ....

Many can afford 30 thousand..

40 thousand is where he average person calls the line..

And 50 grand is where your considered well off or well above averag...

Most people dream of owning the 50,00 vette or BMW M3 or the numerous other top line 50 grand and up cars....

A brand new NSX goes for 80-90 grand...

This is tuly a car that not every one can aford.....

Neighter is a 50,000 vette....But defiently more people could have one than an NSX..

So the NSX is expensive and rare.....

Thats more than enough reason to want one...

The performance is also NOT SLOW....

14.3 for a v6 is very good..

Sure a 350 Z mighty match it Through the quarter mile but in real life driving with turns the 350 woud be destroyed....

My Stock Corvette has beaten every stock NSX Ive raced by about a second though the quarter mile.....( quite a few of them here in Hawaii)

I usualy run a mid 13 to there mid 14...

Thats all kool...But Im no idiot...I knowtha on a road course were the real dynamics of the car come into play it would be a very tight race....

A C5 is also roughly a second behind he Z06 through most road courses as well...

This would be a true drives race.

Where for the most part a cars perfmace should be judged by it's 1/4 mile..

This is not true in the NSX..

They made te car quick enough...

But mostly focused on the handling..

The resut is car that despte having 60 HP less tha a C5 vette...
Can still hold it's own on an race course....

The C5 is a excellent handler.....And world reknown for it's performance..

But the NSX can handle better stock for stock...

Now to the most obvious reason..

The NSX is an extremely beautiful car...
To me it looks very similar to the Corvette only with a little more asian influece...

They look VERY simlar IMHO..

From the wide sqared rear end to the pop up lights and basic look....

But this isnt an car you will see often...

I see 3-5 C5's a week...

but maybe 1 nsx every month...

Would I rather have an brand new NSX over my C5????

YES......

I would hate to loose the straight speed excellration....I felt bad for the guys at the 1/4 mile when I beat them by a second......

But I would love having somthng more rare......

I woul love the ( even better) handling

I would be even with the styling since to me they look very similar....

To me the NSX is Japans finest offering....

You cant compare an 85 thousand dollar NSX to 150 thousand and up dollar Ferraris and Lamborginis..

That a mistake that people tend to make....

They say..Why buy an NSX instead of an Ferrari?????

Are you crazyor somthing?????

Corvettes....Vipers....NSX all usualy between 50 and 85 thousand brand new.....

These are cars that the above average to slightly wealthy can afford....

For example....My wife and I own a liquor store...

our take home yearly is 200 grand....

To the average person making 30 thousand a year we are rich....They think I coul afford a Ferrari...

In tuth I cant even afford a brand new NSX....

By the time I pay all the bills and take care of the 5 kids the most I could possibly afford woud be a 75 grand Dodge Viper.....

People might see me in te Viper and say....Man wy didnt you get an NSX...

So the reason for getting a NSX instead of a covette is obvious...
They are both pretty evenly matched but due to the pricing effieciency of Chevy the NSX will turn more heads and is a tue exotic as were the Corvette is an awesome car with a lot of history but is just to comon do to the 50 grand price tag in comparison....

The closest cmpetitor money wise and rarity wise is the Viper...

Asking apson why you got a viper instead of an NSX or visa versa is like asking some one why they bought an 350Z instead o a SS camaro....

These are just totaly different cars...

Mot guys into imports could care less if a v10 can run 11's from the factory...

Most guys into domestics could care less if a car is making awesome HP despite having only 4-6 cylinders or how well it handles.....

It just really depends on what you like and who you hang around.....

But just becaue some one can afford an NSX or VIPER in no way means the can jump up another 50-100 grand to get a Ferrari........

Thats just a common mis conceptin.....

I personal would rather have a Viper than an NSX.....

But look at what kinda car I drive righ now...

My best friend says he would rathr have the NSX......He currently drives a 04 M3.....

My first post........I Sorry i just had to get in on this one..

Bone stock dyno 299 rwhp and 309 rwt SAE corrected

Bone stock quarter mile of 13.5 at 104mph in 85 dgree f. DA of 1300
GreenGlowC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:47 AM   #83
Z32TT_maniac
AF Enthusiast

the nsx is over price..in australia..u can get a bad ass 92-93 Z32TT for 20 grand..while the nsx is nearly 100 grand..and Z32TT would smoke the nsx for breakfast,lunch and dinner..not worth it
Z32TT_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:00 PM   #84
GreenGlowC5
AF Newbie

Your missing the point.....

I could by a 2000 Z28 camaro..

put 15,000 dollars into modding it..

And smoke the NSX

My corvette

2005 dodge viper

And the Ferrarri Enzo ( the enzo wich is insane for stock...Only runs high 10's)

You can mke a Z28 run 10's for 15 grand.....

Just the blower would put you in the high 11's low 12's....

And youd still have 10 grand left after that....

Use the other 10 grand to build the drive train and forge the engine...

Then put on some tiers and BAAM.....

Go to the LS1 tech board and you'll see quite a few cars running 10's..

But in the end...Im stil in a Vette...

The other guys in a Viper....

Some one else is in his NSX...

And that one really lucky guy is in his ENZO.....

The guy who spent his 15 grand in modds is still in a Camaro....

Th same car that you can go buy right now for 8-11 grand used...

Comparing a 20,000 dollar car to a NSX becauseit's as fast o faster is just stupid....

You know how many expensive cars the 98 Z28 could smoke when it came out with the LS1 running a solid 13.7 1/4 mile.....

Thats still stronger than lots of 50-70 grand cars today...

About even with a 04 BMW M3 to compare one....

But wich car would you rathe have...

The 27 grand Z28...

Or the 55 grand M3.....

You rol up to my house in your 20,000 thats ran a 1/4 of 12.9 aussie car and I wont even give you a second look....

You roll up to my house in a 93 NSX that has only ran a best 1/4 mile of 14.8 w/ you driving and Ill go out and talk to you aout your nice car....

Bone stock dyno 299 rwhp and 309 rwt SAE corrected

Bone stock quarter mile of 13.5 at 104mph in 85 dgree f. DA of 1300
GreenGlowC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #85
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

the point that people miss is that sure....u can goo out and buy a $4k civic invest $10k in it and be in the 10's with only $14k invested...but itz not about just the #'s which everyone seems to be stuck on...itz the car itzself

good example is when cheesefrog beat that viper in his civic...at the end of the day, which car woiuld you rather go home in?
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #86
JoeStangV604
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JoeStangV604

Honda= engine lasts a very long time, meanwhile every single part of the car will fall off before the engine will ever break. Japanese and Chrysler use electrogalvanize steel which is less corosion resistant than regular galvanized steel that other companies like Ford and GM use. The advantage to using electrogalvanized steel is that it is cheaper and easier to weld and is cheaper to buy. So the quality of a honda is good engine wise, not body wise. Also they ship them accross the pacific and atlantic oceans for months at a time (the ones built in Japan) this is liek going through the worst winter of salt times 100 from the salt exposure at sea. I'd imagine they try to protect the cars from the salt, but thats difficult.

Hondas are reliable primarly because most their cars are 4 bangers and 4 banger cars in general are more reliable than V8s and V6s. they have less things on them to break, have more surface area to cool down.
It all really matters on how well you take care of a car on how long its going to last, my car will last a long time even though it is a ford because i take care of it well. I'd imagine that people who have ford's think they break more because they seemingly neglect them a lot. My dad for example didnt change his oil in his explorer for 7 thousand miles and it didnt start on the first 2 tries (gee wonder why) I wouldnt blame it on the Ford, but rather the fact he neglected it. Same goes with Japanese cars, some say they are less reliable engine wise some say better. I say, how well are you taking care of it? Also with corrosion, the mroe you keep it clean in the winter the less salt you get on the car, or if you live near the ocean the more you clean it the less salt residue deposits on the car.

I would never pay 90 grand for a car that is a 6 banger. I would and did pay 14 grand for a brand new 04 mustang with A plan (can't beat that). It looks cool, and for about 1,500 dollars i can get 300 HP out of it naturally aspirated. However i imagine my 3,200 lbs V6 mustang weighs a hell of a lot mroe than the NSX.

I normally dont like japanese car styling but the NSX is an exception, it looks italian and i think it is a great looking car, just over priced. The first time i ever saw one i thought it was a ferrari, and then i found out it was a honda and assumed it must cost maybe 30-40 at the top, and now that i found out it costs 90 i am shocked.

Just because it says honda on it doesnt mean it shouldnt be slow. The only truely fast car with the ford tag on it was the Mustang Cobra for years, now look what they've built, the new Ford GT (GT40 is the real name but they are dumb and sold the rights to it). What is in a name anyway? same goes with toyota, they only really have the celica and MR2 and when i think of toyota i think of camry, corrola, prius, not supra or MR2.

Now if you think buying a nice looking NSX for 90 grand is crazy, who in their God's name would buy a focus for 101,000???!?!?? I am not making this up, ford now has built a focus that beat a lamborguini. Saw it in motor trend magazine, not sure of the month, probably august 04 -oct 04. Its the new focus RS8, its on the ugly hatch back model with 5.0 450HP engine!!! I think the only reason why id want one is if i was so rich i had nothing better to do then pull up to a light next to a Viper/Vette/Cobra/Ferrari/Porsche and blow their doors off with my ugly, quiet stock looking focus. I think the owner of lamborguini company shot himself after the focus won, i would have lol. So buying an NSX might not be the best buy, but there are much worse things you could buy for the money.
JoeStangV604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:12 AM   #87
JoeStangV604
AF Newbie

You could build a lawn mower that could beat a chrysler ME412 also, but you are sacrificing a lot of things. Building a civic that can beat a viper for 14 grand maybe nice, but you will have crap reliability from the poor engineering of the aftermarket mods. You will also probably sacrifice fuel mileage (yes even worse than the viper) since the engine will be tuned up to its max. Also when you break the 2Hp/CI barrier on an engine its life expectancy drops a lot (unless engine is forged well), its like making a person faster by doing steroids. But then again you only paid 14 grand, its kind of disposable, just build a new one every year. In the long run it will end up costing you the same as a viper since you'll have to keep rebuilding the engine when it explodes.

Now my V6 mustang would be a challenge to beat the NSX in the quarter mile, and probably impossible in a track race since it is way out handled and is too heavy, but it is possible and would be cheaper than a NSX yet still look as good and in my oppinion better.

Oh and 05 Mustang is SICK and the new special edition ones have 5.4 Litre 400- 500 HP engines in them for only 40-50 grand when they come out. So if it were up to me, i'd rather havea C6 Corvette, or a new Mustang Cobra equivlant (dont know what they are calling it) and an old used WRX for winter AWD BABY!
Old 11-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #88
JoeStangV604
AF Newbie

wow you didnt mention one american car

You listed a bunch of cars that you say are a lot better buy than an NSX, but not one american car! How come? I swear people are so weird, they like refuse to buy american. Here are a list of american (real sports cars) that are a better buy than an NSX, Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Ford GT (costs more but its worth it), Cobra Mustang, New 05 mustang, the new Steada mustang, Cadilac XLR, Chrysler Crossfire SRT, oh forgot to mention the GTO too, Any LS1 can be made amazing with the addition of a blower. The LS1's capabalities are unbeatable for its costs, and just got better with the LS2, 6.0L!! That means that you can get over 550HP without major forging or internals changed for around 5 grand. Total cost of GTO 30-40 grand "Depending on how its loaded" and an additional 5 grand will make it incredibly fast. I do agree that the NSX is better looking than the GTO since pontiac hasnt changed their styling in 30 million years. And you may argue it isnt an american car since it is built on an Aussie car.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #89
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC

i guess itz a personal issue...IMO i would love to know i have a car that was built by hand rather than on an assembly line
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:58 PM   #90
yellownsx
AF Newbie

Re: wow you didnt mention one american car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStangV604
You listed a bunch of cars that you say are a lot better buy than an NSX, but not one american car! How come? I swear people are so weird, they like refuse to buy american. Here are a list of american (real sports cars) that are a better buy than an NSX, Corvette, Viper, Camaro, Ford GT (costs more but its worth it), Cobra Mustang, New 05 mustang, the new Steada mustang, Cadilac XLR, Chrysler Crossfire SRT, oh forgot to mention the GTO too, Any LS1 can be made amazing with the addition of a blower. The LS1's capabalities are unbeatable for its costs, and just got better with the LS2, 6.0L!! That means that you can get over 550HP without major forging or internals changed for around 5 grand. Total cost of GTO 30-40 grand "Depending on how its loaded" and an additional 5 grand will make it incredibly fast. I do agree that the NSX is better looking than the GTO since pontiac hasnt changed their styling in 30 million years. And you may argue it isnt an american car since it is built on an Aussie car.
Should I bother to tell him that the GTO is not made here in the states?
Or that Ford took an NSX apart to see how it was made before building the GT? Nah! I better not!