Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
spellman1989
AF Newbie

97 lumina flooded

3.1L engine entire car was covered in water all the way past the dashboard during this hurricane we just had. So I replaced the battery to make sure the electrical still worked. Went to start the car and you can hear the electronics kicking in like the fuel pump sound when you turn the key but got nothing. I've changed the oil and dropped and cleaned the transmission pan and replaced the fluid. What else can i Do? Should I replace the spark plugs and wires? Do I need to replace the alternator and starter? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
spellman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 97 lumina flooded

The PCM, starter, alternator, and wiring were all submerged except for the dome light. It is difficult to determine what/where the problem area(s) may be, but until it is dried out completely any efforts to diagnose it could be difficult.

Keep in mind that a failed alternator will not prevent cranking, and a battery that has been submerged is ready to be recycled. Everything else is a wildcard. The injectors and fuel pump are probably intact, but the fuel tank likely has lots of water in it. The ICM is likely intact but soaked. Most sensors are probably intact and could operate once dried out, with the possible exceptions of the TPS, and the IAC is likely waterlogged.

At the very least, it would be advisable to remove all the spark plugs and manually turn the engine over at least two full revolutions (more would be better) to expel any water and prevent hydrolocking and piston/head damage.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
spellman1989
AF Newbie

How long would you recommend I let it sit for letting it dry out? Should I look into replacing the pcm? I replaced the battery already so should I replace the plug and wires when I remove the spark plugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
The PCM, starter, alternator, and wiring were all submerged except for the dome light. It is difficult to determine what/where the problem area(s) may be, but until it is dried out completely any efforts to diagnose it could be difficult.

Keep in mind that a failed alternator will not prevent cranking, and a battery that has been submerged is ready to be recycled. Everything else is a wildcard. The injectors and fuel pump are probably intact, but the fuel tank likely has lots of water in it. The ICM is likely intact but soaked. Most sensors are probably intact and could operate once dried out, with the possible exceptions of the TPS, and the IAC is likely waterlogged.

At the very least, it would be advisable to remove all the spark plugs and manually turn the engine over at least two full revolutions (more would be better) to expel any water and prevent hydrolocking and piston/head damage.
Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
spellman1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I would disable fuel and spark, and remove the plugs, and then try to crank over......cylinder(s) could be full of water and hydro locked....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

I,m sorry to have to say this=
I live in a fish bowl called New Orleans .
Back in the 50,s and 60,s flooded cars were dried out and rear end fluid,etc. replaced and all was well.
And then came the manufacture of cars with computers and sensors.!!!
In Hurricane Katrina about 100,000 of those cars were flooded and sent to the junk yard.
Normally several months later all kinds of wire connections finally corrode and lose contact and all kinds of electrical problems develop.
Also the felt under the carpet must be replaced . Mold will grow on it and it ain,t good for your lungs.
Bottom line= consider replacing the entire car with a dry lumina and save anything you can from the flooded car.
jamesmetairie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina