Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #16
robdebie
AF Newbie

Re: NuNu releases

Thanks, that's great side-view photo! It's a bit unfortunate that the model was photographed slightly from above, and from a relatively close distance. The 'modified' photo was done really quickly and dirty! I slapped it together in maybe 1-2 minutes. So please do not take it too literally. I was merely trying to point out where I thought the kit had shape problems. I may have overdone the modifications.

Rob
robdebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #17
chris24
AF Regular

It never bothers me when somebody points out evidence of real shape problems as long as it does not become kit bashing. Therefore I appreciate your approach Rob.

Then, like you wrote, to each his own. For me, this kit is greatly welcome and good enough to be built OOB. Nonetheless, I would never consider taking this kit to build the Coke, Apple, Sachs or Jagermeister cars by just sticking some decals on it (like I read it regularly) as those were quite different cars.

Keeping a discerning eye remains an important quality in this hobby. At least me think.
chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #18
robdebie
AF Newbie

I tried a different approach. I made a line drawing over a nice straight-from-the-side photo.

I put it over the only K3 drawing I know, from an old Scale Models International issue. The fit is mediocre, and especially the 'greenhouses' are rather different. Sigh.

Then a smart person pointed out that the drawings for the painting instructructions of the kit were probably derived from the 3D CAD model. So I overlayed my line drawing on that.

The wheel positions and wheel openings are quite wrong, the skirt too tall, the front headlights too large, but the rest isn't bad. Especially the greenhouse matches pretty well. Amazing!!

It's slowly becoming a case of 'man with two watches never knows the time'

Rob
Old 01-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
DasWiesel
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdebie View Post
Each to his own for course.
Yes, of course!

Quote:
Maybe I forgot that I'm a shape fanatic.....Once I see a shape problems, I cannot 'unsee' it.
Yes, I know that problem. There is no such thing as the perfect kit. Thatīs why I donīt even want to take a too close look anymore and kill the fun for myself.

But if it is your thing to be shape fanatic, keep in mind that photos of original cars might not be the best way and without fault:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_aberration
Old 01-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #20
freakray
AF Modelrater

Quote:
I tried a different approach. I made a line drawing over a nice straight-from-the-side photo.

Unfortunately, it appears you didn't 100% account for perspective around the rear wing. Relook at the rear wing and you will see that your outline of the end plate isn't accounting for the fact that the photo is not perfectly side on and you can actually see both wing end plates (opposite end too) in the photo. It would appear you can see the farther end of the wing both ahead and above the near end plate.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:23 AM   #21
robdebie
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakray View Post
Unfortunately, it appears you didn't 100% account for perspective around the rear wing. Relook at the rear wing and you will see that your outline of the end plate isn't accounting for the fact that the photo is not perfectly side on and you can actually see both wing end plates (opposite end too) in the photo. It would appear you can see the farther end of the wing both ahead and above the near end plate.
Of course I saw that But you've got to work with what you've got.

The problem could be one of perspective, or the photo wasn't taken perfectly from the side, but slightly ahead. I can't tell which it is. I decided to take the average of the two endplates.

Please note: I do not claim this is the definitive K3 drawing, far from it. I'm just trying to find methods to evaluate the shape of the kit. And not to the last millimeter, I'm mostly trying to find large deviations from the real shape.

Rob
Old 01-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #22
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

I think one can become obsessed with shape. I always think if it's reasonably good I can live with it. I enjoy to build models and endeavor to get a nice paint and assembly. I'm not overly worried if the shape is a little off here and there. However, if something bothers you then you must fix it..
Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #23
kitbash
AF Newbie

Interesting discussion here...one I can relate to on both sides. I'll go all-out sometimes and "fix" things I believe to be wrong, but it depends on how much I like the particular subject. If I only 'sort-of' like a certain car, I might do a few little things (the Fujimi Skyline R32 I'm working on now, for example) but if it's something I REALLY love, I'll go the same route robdebie is going in that Porsche. Bottom line is, sometimes it's worth it, sometimes not.
kitbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #24
lemansnut
AF Enthusiast

I too can overlook a few minor inaccuracies as long as the overall look appears to be correct. Things like ride height or missing or incorrect markings are more likely something I'd take the time to correct. A lot too will depend on what is available for the specific subject. The K3 has only been available before in resin, all of which are long out of production so a new injection kit is most welcome.

Mike
lemansnut is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling