Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
essikr
AF Regular

Question 2002 continental won't start

Just returned home from Florida to Ohio, no problems with the car.Filled the tank yesterday and made a stop,when I started the car it cranked over more times than normal to start. Went out today and the car won't start ,turns over fine ,no attempts to fire. Checked the fuel pressure by releasing the the shrader valve and had pressure. The low oil level light was on, it was less than a quart low. I changed the oil and filter.There are no lights or messages on the display now.I disconnected the battery thinking this would reset something that had tripped.
How do you test for spark on the intech v8 engine? I suspect an ignition problem,what can I check ? I can't even find the park plugs on this engine and I was a GM mechanic 40 years ago,Help!!!
essikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: 2002 continental won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by essikr View Post
  • How do you test for spark on the intech v8 engine? I suspect an ignition problem,what can I check ?
  • I can't even find the park plugs on this engine
Well.. as a 40 year mechanic I'm sure you'll fix it quick once you see the diagnostic process. Crank and Cam position sensors are my first thoughts..

Check your PM box.. I'll send you a copy of your 2002 Conti. FSM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
essikr
AF Regular

Re: 2002 continental won't start

Thanks Steven for the info. May have problems with this new faggled ignition stuff. That was 40 years ago when I was a Pontiac mechanic,not a 40 year mechanic. Only worked in the business for 10 years. I think you need a degree in electronics to work on these new engines.Wonder what the flat rate is for today's mechanic's?
Removed the covers to get at the coils and plugs ,need to know a the right way to test for spark.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
essikr
AF Regular

I guess I'am a little rusty on diagnostic procedure. It appears that the fuel pump is not providing suffient pressure(lots of spark at the plugs) . I tried to measure the pressure at the valve with the key on . It does not seem like there is enough pressure.
What is the requirment for start up?
Any knowledge on replacing the fuel pump would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again Steve for you info on the electrical system.Let me know what you think about the fuel system.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Some things to consider.. fuel quality, miles on current filter..

Your Fuel Pump is interesting, it's variable speed controlled by a 'fuel pump driver module' and a few sensors. This eliminates the need for a fuel return hose back to the tank.

Also remember, you have an Inertia Shut Off sensor as well, if it was tripped it will need to be reset. It's located in the LH B-Pillar.

Your fuel pressure chart is in your FSM under the section Powertrain >310-00 Fuel System >General Information >Specifications:

Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
essikr
AF Regular

Checked the fuel shutoff ,not tripped. Fuel Pressure with the key on barely readable,not anywhere near the 35 to 45 pds on spec chart.Thanks for that info.
Going to change the fuel filter today,I hope thats what it is. Does the tank need to be dropped to replace the fuel pump or is there access to it?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
essikr
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: 2002 continental won't start

To supply information adding this reply.
Ordered new fuel pump,dropping the tank tomorrow. No change with new filter.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
To supply information adding this reply.
Ordered new fuel pump,dropping the tank tomorrow. No change with new filter.
Hi Ess... I'm not familiar with your fuel system so I'm just reading through your 2002 FSM now regarding diagnostic steps for "below 30 psi".....

The FSM says to disconnect both ends of the fuel line, blow compressed air through the line to be sure it's clear... then jumps directly to.. "If it's clear, replace fuel pump module".

I may have picked up reading at the wrong entry point.. it would seem to me that a full power fuel pump test would have been done prior to replacing the module ?

I sent you a PM on that FSM question you had.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Damn.. I'm not intimate with your 2002 like I am with 1996.

The 2002 FSM does describe a technicians test that apparently can only be activated by a service department computer, I'm not positive on this point.. hackers find all sorts of ways to do these things. Anyway in this test mode all systems are activated in full power mode for a specified time interval, thus enabling diagnostics pin-point testing.

This is where I read "replace the fuel pump module" if this test failed.

Since I'm out of my league on this car, I would recommend you also post at www.lincolnsonline.com , there are some great minds working over there!!

BTW, that 2002 FSM also has wiring diagrams.. click the EVTM icon on the introduction page.

The Inertia trip valve button pops out when tripped.... impact trips it. I believe there's a weighted lever inside that trips it in a crash situation.

BTW, I haven't looked at your 2002 master power relay index, but there is a power distribution box under the hood, inside that box are master fuses, breakers, and relays. On my 1996 I carry a spare relay or two always.. On mine, (I don't know about 2002) I had a relay go out once in the middle of nowhere, it was the fuel pump power relay.

From that point on, I always carry spares. They are interchangeable in a pinch, you can do without AC and swap that one for Fuel
Old 03-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
essikr
AF Regular

Looks like I overlooked the Securilock system The light is flashing rapidly with the key in the on position.The book says to take it to an authorized dealer. I'm guessing that's what is preventing the car from starting.
Is there anything an old time mechanic can do with this?Looks like it takes a new generation scan tool which I do not have.I did try a borrowed scan toll and there were no troble codes.There must be something I can do to get the car running.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
There must be something I can do to get the car running.
If you have another chipped (PATS) key, try that one first. Otherwise the PATS receiver or control module may be damaged.

Be sure the battery is fully charged.. all sorts of electrical gremlins pop up when the battery is low. Check all the fuses and power distribution relays.

If all that proves good and the problem persists.. stealership

You might be interested in PATS bypass for remote starting, not a solution but interesting reading: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2002-lin...iring-diagram/
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
essikr
AF Regular

Has anyone had any experience changing the Transceiver module located in the steering column? Can it be replaced without having to program it.
It is not an expensive item .If it is bad and I replace it ,will it fix the car without having to go to the dealer? From what I understand it reads the key transponder and passes it to the PCM to allow the car to start. I hope someone that has been through this will provide an answer,thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
essikr
AF Regular

I now have experience changing the transceiver module.The car now starts right up. If your security light flashes rapidly and the car doesn't start it may be the transceiver.Hope this info can help someone else.
Thanks Towncar for the information you provided.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
RedEyeCoder
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 2002 continental won't start

SOLVED!! (At least in my case!):

CHECK THE PCM DIODE. Apparently these get loose over time.... I had the same symptoms, car would randomly not start. Drove me crazy for months. Then one day I was pulling the relays in and out and noticed the PCM Diode suddely made a CLICK when I pushed it down. Apparenty it was creeping out of it's socket over the years. All I had to do was push it back in, and voila! problem went away!!

Btw, in my car, Lincoln Continental 1999, the diode is to the left of Relay 7 (PCM Relay). This solved the mysterious "GEAR DISPLAY ERROR", CHECK TRACTION CONTROL, etc., and PATS code 16.
RedEyeCoder is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental