Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Firewind
AF Newbie

KA Bolt-ons and N/A Tuning

Hey everyone, I've got a 93 240SX, and I am thinking of doing some bolt-ons to it. For now I would like to keep the car N/A (Naturally Aspirated), and then maybe later do some ram air etc.

I am just looking for some good ideas on good bolt-ons that do help make a difference, I am willing to put good money into this car. As well as, I was wondering about any ECU Tuning on the car, is there a good program that'd work?

And the last two things, apparently the governer on the 240SX is at 120MPH, how do we crack that. And is there gauges that will fit directly into the 240SX Dash board, that will give a higher MPH reading? I wouldn't mind digital gauges either.

Thanks
- Firewind
Firewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20
Re: KA Bolt-ons and N/A Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind

I am just looking for some good ideas on good bolt-ons that do help make a difference
none...the KA24DE is a poor example of a N/A motor..

Quote:
the governer on the 240SX is at 120MPH, how do we crack that.
Why? so u kill your self? let me guess stock supension too!

Quote:
And is there gauges that will fit directly into the 240SX Dash board, that will give a higher MPH reading? I wouldn't mind digital gauges either.
Yes, look for it at the junk yard (coups onlly) it comes too with a heads up display. its digital so your not limited to your guage reading.

bro, what do u wnat from the car? track? dailly driving? Drag? once u know what u want then mod the car...

E.K.
AWDSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
rollhard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rollhard

Quote:
Hey everyone, I've got a 93 240SX, and I am thinking of doing some bolt-ons to it. For now I would like to keep the car N/A (Naturally Aspirated), and then maybe later do some ram air etc.

I am just looking for some good ideas on good bolt-ons that do help make a difference, I am willing to put good money into this car. As well as, I was wondering about any ECU Tuning on the car, is there a good program that'd work?

And the last two things, apparently the governer on the 240SX is at 120MPH, how do we crack that. And is there gauges that will fit directly into the 240SX Dash board, that will give a higher MPH reading? I wouldn't mind digital gauges either.

Thanks
- Firewind
Hi Firewind. Welcome to the boards. First of all, the KA24DE is not meant for performance.....at all. Its a truck motor. Unless you turbo charge it, its not going to make decent power. If you want more power later on, save up for the SR swap or save up to turbo that KA motor. IMO, its really not worth spending the money on headers, intake, exhaust only to get rid of the intake/headers if you go turbo.
rollhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Firewind
AF Newbie

Thanks for the on the gauges, I'll check that out. As far as everything else.

Well for one, right now, it's my daily driver. I'm looking to do the RB26 swap in the future, after a I get a much better supenion, brakes, etc... but in the mean time, I was just hoping to find some bolts-ons that could help me just add a bit of power to the KA motors.

In the end it'll be most likely a track/show car.
Firewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
S13Driftfiend
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to S13Driftfiend

Quote:
if youre willing to put "good" money into this car, why would you keep the ka24 n/a, if at all? a ka-t (turbo) is a good investment, but n/a? i wouldnt waste my money on that, id go with either an sr or turbo the ka. but then again, it is your money and it also depends on what you expect out of the car. but power out of an n/a ka? i dont think so. good luck with whatever it is you end up doing.
you fail at life. go back into your mom's uterus and de-evolve into the nut stain i left on her sheets.
S13Driftfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollhard
Its a truck motor.
actually not at all. it still sucks for n/a though. you can get decent power from it but you have to spend a shitload, and its waaaaay cheaper to turbocharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewind
In the end it'll be most likely a track/show car.
thats what everyone says. in the end, youll be forced to choose one. keeping a track car in nice enough shape to show costs sooooo much money, and keeping a show car fast enough for the track almost never happens. so do yourself a favor and choose one.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
rollhard
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways...
actually not at all. it still sucks for n/a though. you can get decent power from it but you have to spend a shitload, and its waaaaay cheaper to turbocharge.

thats what everyone says. in the end, youll be forced to choose one. keeping a track car in nice enough shape to show costs sooooo much money, and keeping a show car fast enough for the track almost never happens. so do yourself a favor and choose one.
Whats the most anyone has got with the KA going all motor? The car puts out roughly 128whp for the sohc and 140whp for the dohc (the last time I dyno'd 240s with kas here). So far the best gains on the dyno have been from the n1 exhaust at around 8whp which is awesome for a bolt on part na. Headers we dynoed gave 3-5whp, intake was surprisingly good since the stock one was so restrictive at another 7whp. Stock the KA dynoed at an AFR of 14.2. Hardly andy room for significant tuning. I tried MSD ignition on the KA which didnt do anything to improve the power significantly. What else could you do?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

bore it out, put on cams, ITBs, port and polish the head, oversized valves, play with the stroke/rod length, ecu tune, windage tray, then you could change the fuel pump and injectors so the A/F could be safely changed either lean or rich, cam gears, play with timing, after all this run an MSD and id bet youd see something.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollhard
. What else could you do?
swap the DOHC cams with the SOHC cams...better lift.

ITB (individual throttle Bodies)

electric fan

injectors 350cc or bigger

pistons and rods to increase compression.

metal gasket to keep it all together

MSD ignition

AEM stand alone (density reading, no MAF mass air flow sensor, restrictive)

clutch

LSD

E.K.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
rollhard
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDSR20
swap the DOHC cams with the SOHC cams...better lift.

ITB (individual throttle Bodies)

electric fan

injectors 350cc or bigger

pistons and rods to increase compression.

metal gasket to keep it all together

MSD ignition

AEM stand alone (density reading, no MAF mass air flow sensor, restrictive)

clutch

LSD
and what would this dish out? 170whp? 180? For all that money? not worth it. Getting the EMS to get rid of the maf is not worth it at all. On the 240 intake the plumbing is probably the more restrictive.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDSR20

clutch

LSD
what was the point of saying these...we were talking about making power, not putting it to the ground...?

but high comp pistons and a decent port job would probably bring atleast a 25-35whp gain...mostly due to the high comps.

btw..about the guages LSauto makes a 180mph speed for the 240...its already calibrated...just need to put it in...if you go past that...then you do have a death wish
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
rollhard
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking777
what was the point of saying these...we were talking about making power, not putting it to the ground...?

but high comp pistons and a decent port job would probably bring atleast a 25-35whp gain...mostly due to the high comps.

btw..about the guages LSauto makes a 180mph speed for the 240...its already calibrated...just need to put it in...if you go past that...then you do have a death wish

haha, not to mention, the car doesnt have nearly enough power to reach 180mph.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Chuki_breath
AF Enthusiast

you say you plan on putting alot of money into this and want to do an rb26 swap. Do you have any car experience? As in can you do the work yourself? If not that rb swap will cost you an easy 10 grand.....and thats on a low end estimate. I think you would be more interested in a rb25 swap. Which is 10x easier and a whole hell of a lot cheaper. Plus there is more people who have done this to get trouble shooting problems solved if you run into them. I think you should research everything a little bit more. Dont waste your time with NA stuff right now. Way back in the day i did header, cat, and exhaust. I didnt really feel any difference lol, besides the sound. That was it. Its cool to have that stuff and all that, but it doesnt make you any faster really. You will still get landed on by 99% of the cars out there. I would focus on suspension stuff right now if i was you. You would be surprised at how different the car handles and how much more fun it is to drive with just a couple thousand into suspension. I know a couple of thousand sounds high, but coil overs are ATLEAST 1 thousand, the rest would just be replacing the multilink parts (rucas, tension rods etc). Which you can get a majority of that covered for another grand. I would browse forums right now and get a good idea of what MOST 240 people have done. Usually coilovers is a definant buy.

Or do it like i do.....replace what needs replacing with an aftermarket piece or go with a stock one if its not a mojor deal. Then when you have an up to spec car, do what you want.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 AM   #14
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking777
thats like saying u want ur steak surved with out a plate....

dude, LSD and a clutch are a must... with out them ur just have no control over the car!

E.K.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #15
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

A little nitrous never hurt anybody...

But then again I'm not so sure he mentioned what kinda racing and what kinda HP goals he was looking for. That would help.

You can really go all-out crazy with an NA. Waste of Money? Last time I checked all mods on any car are a financial loss. What does it matter if wants to mod a KA24DE...? Or an SR20?

First thing is first: Intake, header, exhaust... suspension mods.

Still want more? Tell us what your goals are.

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX