Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A4 | S4 | RS4 | A5 > '94 - '01
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
AUDIA4QUATTRO
AF Newbie

Question resetting check engine light

97audia4quattro

I believe the check engine light came on as the result of having a brittle vacuum line(s) crack and/or from trying to start the car with the equipment (air intake from the air filter to flex hose, thus sensors rendered inop, while checking for an oil leak. It turned out to be the valve cover gasket. All fixed (only $19 for new gasket and bolts). GREAT! But now I still have a check engine light I can't get rid of even though I believe the problem is fixed. Disconnecting the battery didn't do it? Any way to reset it short of getting a scan tool hooked up?
Jim
AUDIA4QUATTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
mcmalloy
AF Regular

Re: resetting check engine light

disconnect just the negitive cbale for 5 minutes,
mcmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
AUDIA4QUATTRO
AF Newbie

Re: resetting check engine light

Thanks for the info. Someone else mentioned that the batttery cable had to be left disconnected for more than a few minutes (he said an hour, that seems awfully long!) I was able to reset it with a scan tool. I didn't reallize a regular OBDII would work because the audi connector looks different than my GM cars.
And, the cause of the check engine light?......the hose on the back bottom of the valve cover was not secured. Live and learn.

While I'm here, I have another question. I suppose I should start a new thread. Is that the best way to do it?
AUDIA4QUATTRO is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A4 | S4 | RS4 | A5 > '94 - '01