Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ferrari > Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 01:28 PM   #16
sandrunner
AF Newbie

Re: 250 GTO Replica

I think the replicars look fantastic. You do have the downside of driving a reliable car as opposed to a real f car. Plust you can ream the hell out of it without worrying about the 100k repair costs.
sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #17
Veyron
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie
I have seen a replica of a 250GTO done from a 240z base. It was nothing short of AMAZING !!!
I was even fooled at first! but as soon as i got right up to the car to see the interior, i could tell that it was a fake. All the dash was orriginal but the body... OH MY GOD!
He even had real wheels. I dont know how he would have got those but he found them somewhere.
I met the guy and he was really cool. I asked him what it was and he told me straight away that it was a 240z and that he built it cause he loved the real car. (sound femiliar?[sp?])
Anyway, I dont know if i would ever build one myself but I understand the motive behind it.
If you ever see a real 250GTO you'll see what I mean, the dimensions are all wrong on the replica, distorted at best.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:36 AM   #18
JD68
AF Newbie

Kit Cars are the downfall of any car enthusiast.

They make classic cars with heritage and race history into status symbols with no meaning, you ruin the value of the original car (ie ford ac cobras), and anyone worth a salt will know the difference between them, the idea behind these cars is the design and ability of their time, anyone can make a fast car nowadays but in the 30s through the 60s they were coming up with the ideas of superchargers and turbos and suspension systems, aerodynamics, and style. And just try to duplicate the sound of a ferrari v12 with 6 weber carbs.

Going out and trying to duplicate enzo's designs just so you can drive down the street in a faux ferrari makes anyone look like a idiot. People can see the difference and the minute they realize it you just lost any repsect you might of had, be original or be laughed at.
JD68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 10:41 AM   #19
JeromeSexton
AF Newbie

Ok, if you are interested in building a Ferrari GTO 250 the stable body kit is not the best. It does not look like the real GTO. The Scorpion z cars on the other are a little but more expensive but looks exactly likes the 1962 GTO 250 with the truck kit. http://www.scorpionzcars.com/

Rossa

And anybody that says it does not is a fucking retard.
Personally, I as soon as I got enough money save up and I'm out of college I am going to build myself one. Not because I want to show that I drive a Ferrari GTO 250, but because I love the car and, I would love building one even more.

Anyway, you can still build a Velo Rossa which look like the 1962 GTO 250 except it's convertible, and nobody can say anything about being a fake because, Ferrari never made a GTO 250 convertible.

http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html

I hope this help you
emai; me if u have any question
JeromeSexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 10:56 AM   #20
JeromeSexton
AF Newbie

JeromeSexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #21
EVORETRO
AF Newbie

Guys
There is one important thing you are missing here - it is not a kitcar, but a ' bodykit', in other words you simply modify the existing car.
This makes a heck of a difference when it comes to registering the car for the road, you simply use the existing paperwork / plates that came with the car. Not so with kitcars (well in the UK anyhow) - how long before the rest of the world tries to strangle your freedom of building your own cars - In France this has already happened.
I say they are a good thing, by the way if anyone wants one, I know a man who can help.
EVORETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:18 PM   #22
acrid850
AF Regular

Kits cars like the 240s and Fiero made Ferrari are like Tribute bands in my mind. They're gonna their best to act and look like the original, but the performane will never be the same as the real thing.

There are ones I like however. I like the various Lotus 7 remakes becuase they are more of Euro Hot-Rods than kit cars. Also, some of the Porsche Replicas (i.e. 550 Spyder & 356) are nice as well, due to the fact there are so many shared parts with a VW Bug, its easy to make a car that completely looks and drives like the real thing.
acrid850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:01 AM   #23
Hamo98
AF Newbie

Cool Re: 250 GTO Replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPG
How is it viewed when a Nissan 240 Z car is used as the base for building a Replica 250 GTO? Does anybody see it as a running model of the car or does everyone view it as a fake? I have been thinking about doing the kit because the chance of getting one is just a tad out of reach.

Thanks for your replies,
David
Hi I have a replica and of course it is viewed as a replica by anyone who really knows Ferrari's that's about 1% of the public. Regardless, I have been stopped by Ferrari drivers and even asked to join the classic Ferrari club by the president, I certainly have no regrets.
Good luck if you go ahead with it.
Hamo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:29 AM   #24
b16_al
AF Newbie

250 GTO (enough for everyone)

Even if money wasn't an object, there simply isn't enough 250 GTO's to go around... So why not enjoy the appeal of a replica vehicle.

You could own your own for a very fair price.... check e-bay out:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...DME:B:AAQ:UK:1

It's a little gem and is great fun to drive....... Would any of us know how a real 250 GTO drives...... and if we owned one would we drive it daily?

Well if you owned this you could have fun fun fun every day you awake.
b16_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #25
1962GTO
AF Newbie

The reason to drive it is for fun.

The car is not meant to be a status symbol, it's just a fun thing to have. I have one no ebay now and I'm not selling it as a real Ferrari. Another seller is on there hyping her car as a status symbol with parking attendants and pump jockeys, which is probably true. I parked cars for several years, though, and I wouldn't let a valet near my car now.

Kit cars almost never get finished (industry standard) and cost a ton of cash. If you get into my car cheap, you will be way ahead from the get go. Anyone that is thinking about a kit car should check out this one.
1962GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #26
Kenneth86
AF Newbie

Clearly, it is not a Ferrari. There is a continuum of what people do to there cars. Most people buy stock and drive it. Some add a bumper sticker, or an antenna ornament. The bolder go for fender skirts, air dams, flames, chopping and channeling, lowering, raking, fancy wheels and so forth. The 250 GTO kit is an extreme modification, but it is not a kit car. Most kit cars are cheap, noisy, smell bad, look ridiculous, make funny sounds when you drive them - they're really shoddy.
This skin is of high quality, looks terrific and works well. My issue is calling it a Ferrari. I draw the line at putting horses and Ferrari name tags on it. If you like it, go ahead, but keep the Datsun logos. It's prettied up, but it's still a Datsun, right?
Would you date a woman who had her teeth fixed? How about a boob job? How about she went on a diet and worked out and looks terrific? Not the original package, but where do you draw the line?
I have no problem with an automotive face-lift. Calling it what it isn't, that's over the line.
Ken
Kenneth86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #27
buellmonster
AF Newbie

IMHO I do believe that anyone reading this page would love to be driving down the road, be it to work, on vacation, or out for a Sunday drive, and see a unique, possibly very rare automobile BEING DRIVEN! I have only seen one 250 being driven and have no idea as to authenticity, but I do vividly remember it.
buellmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #28
SpyderGirl
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPG
How is it viewed when a Nissan 240 Z car is used as the base for building a Replica 250 GTO? Does anybody see it as a running model of the car or does everyone view it as a fake? I have been thinking about doing the kit because the chance of getting one is just a tad out of reach.

Thanks for your replies,
David
David, if you are still thinking about getting a Z-based GTO, especially if you are planning a build from scratch, let me know, and I can go into all the details of what we did with the GTO I bought on Ebay for $5.5K (ran fairly ok, but needed lots of work). I can let you know about the V12 we are using along with all the other upgrades we did to exterior, interior...the works.

If you are just thinking of buying one done already with the Nissan In-line 6, that is cool too, they are peppy and still loads of fun and you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Some people will always call a replicar a pile of junk and that is ok, it is all what you like and get into.

The GTO me and my roomie are working on is in the final stages of the build and it is unreal with the mods done to it, but even before it was redone, I belonged to the Ferrari Owners Club and all the guys thought it was a neat car. My Roomie also owns a Lamborghini Urraco and I will be perfectly honest with you, I would rather drive the "Fake cr*ppy car"! LOL

Let me know if you want some input and pics of the build. We documented every bit of it from start to finish and I will help you in any way I can.

Happy highways!

Haley
SpyderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #29
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD68
Kit Cars are the downfall of any car enthusiast.

They make classic cars with heritage and race history into status symbols with no meaning, you ruin the value of the original car (ie ford ac cobras), and anyone worth a salt will know the difference between them, the idea behind these cars is the design and ability of their time, anyone can make a fast car nowadays but in the 30s through the 60s they were coming up with the ideas of superchargers and turbos and suspension systems, aerodynamics, and style. And just try to duplicate the sound of a ferrari v12 with 6 weber carbs.

Going out and trying to duplicate enzo's designs just so you can drive down the street in a faux ferrari makes anyone look like a idiot. People can see the difference and the minute they realize it you just lost any repsect you might of had, be original or be laughed at.
This is the typical closed minded Bullshit that replica builders face.

You say it ruins the value of originals, yet originals have been steadily climbing in value. I have YET toi see a 250 GTO, daytona, etc go DOWN in value due to the existence of the replicas. In fact, it's possibly quite the opposite by keeping the cars in the public eye, the fewer originals are worth more. Back in the '80s, when Miami Vice made a replica Daytona Spyder a star, and during the two years in the late '80s when I built and owned a replica, the originals value went from a mere $50-100k to over a million dollars each! If that's the sort of "devaluation" you see replicas having on the value of the originals, I want in on that action!

Porsche speedster and 550 spyder replicas have been around for years? How has the value of original Speedsters and 550 Spyders done? How much are Cobras worh tnow, vs their worth in teh '70s/early '80s?

Maybe you're just an ignorant ass that didn't think before hitting the "submit reply" button... Hopefully in the years since you posted, you've learned something.

Also, for many of us, building a replica is like building a 1:1 scale model. If you love the originals, but can't afford one AND have no car building skills, you buy those 1:18 scale models and sit them on your desk or shelves. If I can't afford one but CAN build a car, I can build a 1:1 scale model and drive it around. It's not too hard these days to make a replica faster AND handle better than an original. AND, you don't have to worry about a priceless original being stolen or damaged by Suzy Soccermom not paying attention while talking on her cellphone... In fact, a few owners of the original cars were having replicas made so they could drive the originals on special occasions, much like celebrities and royaly have replica jewelry or artwork commissioned.

The only person a fool in this scenario is the closed minded moron who thinks they have a clue and laughs at the person building/owning a replica. JD68, that would be you.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #30
sub006
AF Enthusiast

For street use, an original GTO would be a pain in the a**! I had a '62 250 GT and like all of the early "sports" models it overheated badly in traffic, fouled plugs, etc. These were race cars designed to be driven at speed.

The later cars (after Fiat got involved) were much more dual-purpose in nature.

So I can appreciate why someone who can only have one car might want a really convincing replica.

Of course it cuts both ways. One of my favorite cars was the original Ford GT. Of course they rattled, rusted, leaked and cooked their occupants. I had the privilege of sitting in the Gulf car that won Le Mans twice in a row. It was tight and intimate.

I had high hopes for the new Ford GT, but it's too damn BIG! Guess they needed room for the impact bumper equipment, airbags, etc. For $150,000 I'm back to looking at the English replicas made from original tooling with air, leather, Wilton carpets and RIGHT-hand drive! Same external and internal dimensions as the originals, a bit noisy, but livable.

Hey, how about an Enzo kit for the Acura NSX?
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ferrari > Classics