Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #151
F1 monster
AF Enthusiast

Re: Now this should be exciting - McLaren versus Enzo on 5th Gear...

autofocus, thanks for the pix. they are fantastic! nice site, too. i like the squishies.
F1 monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #152
chernobyl
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patster
does Ferrari provide similar service to Enzo owners?
That and more, but what does it matter? You hardly own an Enzo! Are you even a Ferrari customer?
chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #153
chernobyl
AF Newbie

[quote=mr bridgerCLK GTR, the flying car, literally!...a bit too big dimensions wise for me, similar to the XJ220 in that respect, thanks, mr bridger.[/QUOTE]

Im sorry you feel negative towards the GTR. The road version does not suffer anything from the race car other than excellence. Think CLK DTM with more power and less weight and much more nerdy

Get yourself a test drive. There is only 1 in the UK and he wont let anyone drive it[garage queen]. Promise me at least that you will try drive one before you spend any more money.
chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #154
BMW.WilliamsF1Team
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernobyl
Im sorry you feel negative towards the GTR. The road version does not suffer anything from the race car other than excellence. Think CLK DTM with more power and less weight and much more nerdy

Get yourself a test drive. There is only 1 in the UK and he wont let anyone drive it[garage queen]. Promise me at least that you will try drive one before you spend any more money.
To be technical, the CLK-GTR (racing version) never flipped, it was the CLR. No road versions of that were ever made.
BMW.WilliamsF1Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #155
ArchangelGTR
AF Regular

Nice pics Autofocus.

Maybe some should read this before considering a MB CLK-GTR.

Car dealer sues Mercedes as $1.7 million CLK-GTR won't travel 10 blocks

LA based car dealer Mark Johnston bought the car of his dreams a Mercedes AMG CLK-GTR Limited Edition Roadster for $ 1.7 million. Only 5 of these speed machines were made and this baby had entered the Guiness book of records as the most expensive production car. Mr Johnston was the proud owner of the only CLK-GTR in North America. The silver AMG Roadster is a product of DaimlerChrysler’s long collaboration with H.W.A. and Mercedes-AMG, two German manufacturers of racing and high-end performance vehicles. But the car proved to be an expensive peice of scrap metal as after crusing in it for the first time after covering 10 city blocks the oil light came up which has not been fixed yet. After this the roadster’s transmission failed to shift properly. Additionally, the hydraulic jack system failed and the windows became unglued, Mercedes sent and engineer from Germany who dismantled the car and took with him a number of parts to Germany to never install them again.

When Los Angeles car dealer Mark Johnston forked over $1.7 million to buy one of only five special Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR roadsters produced in the world, he could not have predicted the long struggle he was about to face. Johnston claims he and his brother couldn’t get it to travel more than ten blocks. Accordingly, he has filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court seeking a full refund from the manufacturer and its affiliates. The defendants named in the suit are DaimlerChrysler and its Mercedes-Benz subsidiary.

Mr. Johnston’s suit, brought by law firm Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P., accuses the defendants of breaching their contractual and warranty obligations to provide a defect-free car, in this case a Mercedes AMG CLK-GTR Limited Edition Roadster, which Mr. Johnston intended to sell through his dealership. The complaint also alleges negligent misrepresentation and breach of the implied warranty of good faith and fair dealing. Mr. Johnston seeks full reimbursement of the vehicle’s purchase price, along with the other costs incurred as a result of attempts to repair it.

The silver AMG Roadster is a product of DaimlerChrysler’s long collaboration with H.W.A. and Mercedes-AMG, two German manufacturers of racing and high-end performance vehicles. Only five of the AMG roadsters were reportedly made; Mr. Johnston owns the only one in North America. The AMG CLK-GTR is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the most expensive production car ever made. The two-door sports car is made of carbon fiber monocoque with an integrated steel roll cage and front energy absorbing crash box. The 6.9-liter engine has a 12-cylinder, 60 degree V-motor, enabling the car to go from zero to 124 mph in 9.9 seconds and reach a top speed of 198.4 mph.

Mr. Johnston and his brother Ernest own Grand Prix Motors, a car dealership in the Mar Vista section of Los Angeles. The two former auto mechanics have extensive experience working on Ferraris and other top performing vehicles and are very knowledgeable about collectible cars. Grand Prix contracted to purchase the Mercedes AMG in 2002 for the hefty price tag of $1.7 million. Their intention was to sell the vehicle through their dealership, as they had done with other rare and vintage automobiles.

“The car was absolutely gorgeous and we were excited about offering what we thought was a true gem to our customer base,” Mark Johnston explained. “Unfortunately, the car turned out to be ‘exotic’ in the worst possible way. When we took it off the lot in 2004 for its first customer test drive, Ernie drove the car all of ten blocks with a prospective buyer when the oil light came on. We’ve been trying to get it fixed ever since, but the Mercedes folks have refused to stand behind the car as promised in our contract.”

According to the complaint, the roadster’s transmission failed to shift properly. Additionally, the hydraulic jack system failed and the windows became unglued. In 2005, the defendants dispatched a technician from Germany to examine the car in 2005; after dismantling it, the mechanic returned to Germany with a number of parts that were never reinstalled. Mr. Johnston asserts that the defendants later instructed Grand Prix to transport the non-working car to a Mercedes facility in Lake Park, Florida, which Grand Prix did at an additional cost of $10,000.

Although the Mercedes technicians determined that the car suffered an oil-pressure related engine failure and needed a new engine, the defendants were unwilling to make any repairs. The complaint asserts that the defendants were aware that several of the other Mercedes AMG roadsters in circulation had oil pressure-related problems.

“Mr. Johnston has exhausted himself trying to get Mercedes and the other defendants to recognize their warranty obligations,” said John O’Malley, the Fulbright & Jaworski partner in Los Angeles who is representing Grand Prix Motors. “You’d think you’d be able to drive a $1.7 million car more than 10 blocks.”

“We continue to be dumbfounded by the unwillingness DaimlerChrysler, Mercedes and the other defendants have shown in owning up to the problems of their vehicle — the other manufacturers we deal with would never operate this way,” explained Mr. Johnston. “It’s unfortunate the defendants have forced us to bring a lawsuit in order to have our contract honored. We obviously cannot sell the car in its current condition, which right now represents nearly $2 million of scrap metal.”
ArchangelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #156
F1 monster
AF Enthusiast

Wow. What a piece of crap. And I can't believe the factory. I will be following this case.

Thanks for the info.
F1 monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #157
mr bridger
AF Regular

mmmm, regarding the lawsuit against daimler chrysler / mercedes...i think i"ll def. pass on 1 of those then now!!.....& yes it was the AA who collected my car (i dare not tell the guys at mclaren about my mishap,they would probably dissown me!.. )...mr bridger.
mr bridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #158
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay!! More pics of "Mr Bridger,s" immaculate 16R.

(Once open, click again)

More to come.
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #159
Jota 5084
AF Newbie

Hi Mr. Bridger,

Very intresting reading about your car and your opinions on other supercars ,
i think we have the same opinions on the Veyron .

Now to my question , you dident by any chance vist Sweden with your Mac
in May? There are some rumors that a Papaya coloured McLaren did race a M3 in Sweden at that time. And the McLaren driver was wearing a Ferrari cap
Jota 5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:03 AM   #160
mr bridger
AF Regular

Now to my question , you dident by any chance vist Sweden with your Mac
in May? There are some rumors that a Papaya coloured McLaren did race a M3 in Sweden at that time. And the McLaren driver was wearing a Ferrari cap
hello jota, nope, it wasnt me sir, although i could re-stage that race for you if you like with my M3!...ps/ i have a sneaky suspicion already which 1 will win though !!....thanks to le man for yet more pics (exactly how many did your brother take !!!), thanks, mr bridger.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #161
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Loads of pics "Mr Bridger" .......here,s a few more,

(Once open, click again)
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #162
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Great pics (again....)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #163
autofocus
AF Newbie

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well.

Saw Mr Bridger at Donington again on Sunday, he did not bring the McLaren this time he bought another toy for me to have a look at.

I took loads of pictures of his Enzo and will post a link to them as soon as I have processed the images.

Also just heard from him today that he has got his Bugatti Veyron test drive booked for the 10th October. Can't wait to hear from him after he has driven the car to see what he thinks of it.

Regards

Tim
autofocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:49 AM   #164
cabrio92
www.McLF1.com

Send a message via MSN to cabrio92

Hello,

bravo autofocus and Mr Bridger ! What a combo

Mr Bridger > Can I ask you a little thing if a day, you come in France, is it possible to say me please ? I would be very happy to see you and your cars Thanks

Phil
Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #165
mr bridger
AF Regular

Saw Mr Bridger at Donington again on Sunday, he did not bring the McLaren this time he bought another toy for me to have a look at.

hi tim, actually i bought it 2yrs ago , nice picture, & i even managed to get this 1 home ok !!....as you have posted, the veyron gets an outing on the 10oct, so i will let you know what its like in comparison to the F1 etc...the guy who handles the sales in UK tells me he used to work for Mclaren, even that aside, he raves about the car, so i hope it lives up to his comments & my expectations...what i didnt realise untill very recently is that loris biocchi (from pagani development amongst others) did quite a lot of the handling/ride work on the car, perhaps this is why the veyron seems to be getting favourable reviews in this department (against enzo, carrera gt & zonda), not withstanding its considerable weight for a supercar...i will keep you posted ! .........hi phil, if i buy it, yes it will probably make its way to le mans no doubt....2 tone bugatti blue with anthracite leather & alcantara looks good on the spec page of bugatti web configuration, thanks, mr bridger.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1