Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
fallenprnce
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fallenprnce
240/180 Drift Project (and my drift story)

Alright guys, been out for a while, but im back, and in better shape for it. I am building what was a 240SX into a competition drift car (however keeping arizona street legality). Before i start, i dont want to seem like some dude dropping a bunch of money and still has shit of an idea on how to drift. I have been racing for several years, everythng from scca solo 2 (beginner), formula ford 1600, GT, and finally now drifting. I had a huge interest in drifting after seeing it in japan many years ago, however other racing persuits kept me away from the drift scene. I finally decided to do something about it and went to japan again. I spent several weeks at the Barefoot heaven drift track near iwakuni japan. I was taught by many of the good drifters around iwakuni, all the way up to some of the professionals. I like to say i didnt learn to drift the american (conservative) way, i learned how to drift the crazy japanese way. Anyways, after that i took some training from James Bondurant back here in the states, and even was offered several sponsorships. The only problem out here was, i had nothing decent to drift... so i am now in the process of fixing this issue. I am building what once was a 240SX. I am using a red top sr20, which is remaining pretty much stock, except for an exhaust and a few minor upgrades (i always find its best to start stock, learn how it reacts and upgrade to suit your needs) I am using sustec pro DD coilovers, tannabe front and rear tower braces, seam welding, full roll cage, FULL (i mean full) weight reduction, Skyline viscous differential, Koyo radiator w/ electric fan setup, Corbeau drivers side seat, sparco 4pt harnesses, various minor Mods. i think its going to be a pretty fun machine to drive. All around i think its going to make a strong competition car when im finished with it. However i was wondering if anyone had any imput for me, any suggestions on where to go, what to mod, etc etc. let me know what u guys think!
-Jack
Me-

YEAH! It is a GTR, Yeah it Lives with me in Arizona... Yeah, It is sexy... I love those who rev at me on the Highway... Little do they know the Power of GODZILLA!
425.6 AWHP its a start.... now all i need is the fuel system and i go from 18.5 PSI to 23.5 PSI
fallenprnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
fallenprnce
AF Regular

oh, almost forgot, here is what the car looks like with the roll cage... its going to stay like this interior... nothing in it.
http://www.gr8wheels.com/page/page/2546040.htm
Me-

YEAH! It is a GTR, Yeah it Lives with me in Arizona... Yeah, It is sexy... I love those who rev at me on the Highway... Little do they know the Power of GODZILLA!
425.6 AWHP its a start.... now all i need is the fuel system and i go from 18.5 PSI to 23.5 PSI
Old 10-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
R.W.240
Banned

Re: 240/180 Drift Project (and my drift story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenprnce
I am using a red top sr20, which is remaining pretty much stock, except for an exhaust and a few minor upgrades (i always find its best to start stock, learn how it reacts and upgrade to suit your needs)
Intake / Full Exhaust and a FMIC on a Redtop is more than enough to have a semi competitive Formula D car. However, if you havent already bought the motor Id go with the blacktop for the stronger internals (late red-top has 54C internals too)

Quote:
I am using sustec pro DD coilovers, tannabe front and rear tower braces
Again... I don't know where you are in buying all this stuff but Tanabe DDs have been discontinued. If you already have them they're excellent coilovers.

Quote:
seam welding, full roll cage, FULL (i mean full) weight reduction,
You cage looks great, but at least put the dash / center console back into the interior.

Quote:
Skyline viscous differential
Viscous go home. Either weld it or get a two way LSD... its drifting... you wont have problems with turn-in if your intitiating where your supposed to be.

Quote:
Koyo radiator w/ electric fan setup
Nifty

Quote:
Corbeau drivers side seat, sparco 4pt harnesses
European Market Corbeaus are nice... but all the stuff they sell in the US is wack... Matt Back had one and he caught the hemmoriods!

Next, Kick the sparco harness to the curb and get a Team Tech... Them is some beefy harnesses and still cost less than Rice takata.

Overall your plans sound decent... What are you doing for wheels and "aero"?
R.W.240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777

go with some type x areo...its not to low and looks hella better than stock 240...for wheels...if its a comp drift car...just get some 5zigen FN, there realitivaly on the cheap side...and in good sizes and offsets..
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
fallenprnce
AF Regular

For now, ill be drifting on Advan 16X7s (still looking for better rims if anyone has a badass set of drift rims, ill buy them!) The sustec pro DD's are a little more of what Im looking for, tested them out in japan fer a while, they were amazing. Forgot, im using aluminium bushings in the car as well. Only using corbeau for the time being, blowing my load on a bride seat (depending on what i can get my hands on) in a bit, didnt want to weld a Corbeau into my car. Also, i trust sparco, they saved my life on multiple occasions, so i pay extra for nice stuff.
Me-

Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
wotandsdwys
AF Regular

Tension Rods, Traction Bars, and Tie Rods

then you'll be built like the shit and good to go
Old 10-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

Sounds like a nice setup Jack!

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
R.W.240
Banned

Re: Re: 240/180 Drift Project (and my drift story)

Quote:
For now, ill be drifting on Advan 16X7s (still looking for better rims if anyone has a badass set of drift rims, ill buy them!).

18x9 +18... Mmmmhhhmmm

Or if you were a real man you could run the 18x11 -16 18x12 -27. the cars apart... you might as well tub the front

Quote:
The sustec pro DD's are a little more of what Im looking for, tested them out in japan fer a while, they were amazing
Do you have them? I know they work well I was saying they are discontinued... along with the rest of Tanabes not crap stuff.

Quote:
blowing my load on a bride seat (depending on what i can get my hands on)
Bride is wack. only one of them is FIA certified and they are way small. I'd go with Recaro or Euro Corbeau
Old 10-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #9
fallenprnce
AF Regular

Correction, im drifting 16x8 rear 16x7 front. and yes i have the sustec pro DD on my car already.
Me-

Old 10-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #10
AWDSR20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AWDSR20 Send a message via MSN to AWDSR20

i don't know if u seen pro drifter MAINTNENCE CREW bro but to keep a car ready fro drifting requires allot of parts.
this is what i saw at signal garage for dr drift car.
2 transmissions
extra tension rods
drive shaft
axels
and many extra parts...

E.K.
AWDSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
fallenprnce
AF Regular

Thanks..... for the info? Well, by comparison to what i was doing with GT this sport is cheap. But then again im not a Pro like tanaka san or Tarzan... so i dont have to worry as much about a maintenance crew.
Me-

Old 10-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #12
fallenprnce
AF Regular

Hey, i did have a question tho. I know what tie rods and tension rods r, i have a set of each on the way, but what are traction bars, and how can they help me drift? Thanks!
Me-

Old 10-21-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
R.W.240
Banned

Re: Re: 240/180 Drift Project (and my drift story)

Quote:
Hey, i did have a question tho. I know what tie rods and tension rods r, i have a set of each on the way, but what are traction bars, and how can they help me drift? Thanks!
Traction BARs are what Retard Domesitic owners use on solid axles to prevent Axle wrap... Most of the time they dont even work well put on properly

Traction RODs - Are the one of the upper Control Arms on the rear of a 240SX. they are used to adjust rear caster. the only reason you'll need them is if you want the sperical joint and maybe lighter.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777
from what i hear also, traction rods will also stop wheel hop (not nessesarily stop, but help, along with subframe spacers, ect)...is this correct in me assuming this is true?
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #15
R.W.240
Banned

any part that takes an undampened spring out of the suspension (bushings) will help reduce wheel hop.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX