Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
TDP1
AF Newbie

Angry 2000 Nissan Xterra Exhaust Manifold Crack

Question for anyone. I have a 2000 xterra. I have been reading comments regarding the exhaust manifols and its cracking problem...Well Ive been complaining to my dealer since about 50,000 miles that there was a noise coming from the front right side of the car. They could never find the problem....YEAH RIGHT....It has progressivley gotten worse that it whines at 32-3500 rpm..Now that Im at 125,000 miles the dealer tells me I have to replace my manifold and that there is a hairline crack in it. At a cost of over 1200.00. Can this be a warranty issue since ive been mentioning it since 50,000 miles? And as a follow up since there is an obvious problem do I replace it with a dealer part (which may crack again or an aftermarket exhaust? Any suggestions...Id rather have Nissan pay for it.
-T
TDP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
FYI, $1200 is ludicrous to have that done, I was quoted $800 or so when I asked how much it would have cost me if mine weren't under warranty.
Since you have record of reporting the problem prior to 60,000 miles, you should have a case to have it covered under warranty. Call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-800-Nissan1 and open a case.
As for the part, Nissan has a beefier manifold to replace it with that should hold up better. I know there are a few out there that have had theirs replaced twice, but I'm pretty sure the first time was before the new part was available.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
boodie
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX

As for the part, Nissan has a beefier manifold to replace it with that should hold up better.
Brent -

Do you have a part # for that beefier manifold???

(I know Brent's gonna blast me if it's already in the Part # Forum!)...
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Part 14004-4S102 is superseded by 14004-4S103
Old 07-01-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
boodie
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX
Part 14004-4S102 is superseded by 14004-4S103
Outstanding!!! Thank You!

...That's odd...Nissanparts.cc has it listed for -

14004-4S103 Manifold-exhaus List $89.92 Your Price $68.52

I thought I read here that one of the Forum members had paid $300+ for the replacement manifold...

For this price, I'll order one and keep it ready!!!

(They didn't bring out an upgrade for the drivers side manifold too, did they???)
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 09:07 AM   #6
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Not sure. The upgraded right-side part is the one directly specified for the SC engine, and as noted supercedes the old non-SC engine version. However, the left side still has separate part numbers for the non-SC and SC models:
non-SC is 14006-4S102 with no superceding part number (noted in FAST as well as at nissanparts.cc)
SC is 14006-5S600, also with no superceding part number, and for whatever reason it doesn't appear at nissanparts.cc.

Brent
Old 07-03-2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Xtracurricular
AF Newbie

When did they start specing it on the X, or is it only a replacement piece? Just curious if I will have to plan for it with my 2002 non SC model (couldn't justify paying more for premium when it gets less gas mileage than the NA model). Is there a way to tell the difference with a visual inspection?
Xtracurricular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:52 PM   #8
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

So now I'm hearing that the 2003 has an improved exhaust manifold that fits the older Xterras. Anyone else got that info?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:59 AM   #9
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Part #14004-4S103 (upgraded right manifold) is listed in the parts system for 10/00 production NON-supercharged Xterras and all SC models from 7/01 (first 2002 build) on. 14004-4S102 (old manifold) is not specified after 10/00 for the Xterra.
The Frontier models made the switch across the board (SC and non-SC) in 10/00 as well.
Schlud, Nissan has been using the beefier right-side manifold on ALL Xterras for a year or so at least, but apparently they still use the old non-SC one for the left side on the non-SC models. If they've made any further revisions, I'm not aware of it.

Brent
Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #10
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I'm getting mine replaced on next Tuesday. I talked with the service guy and he said the newer exhaust manifold will superceed the old one anytime they bring it up in the on-line service/parts manual. He said that the newer one is all they put on now.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:06 PM   #11
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Make it a point to get the part number.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:00 PM   #12
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Oh, you betcha! I'm going in with a list, and am not just letting them do a standard 60k on my truck when I already do a lot myself.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:31 AM   #13
Toy Man
AF Premium User

List

Schlud:

I would be interested in seeing your list.

I'm making one up myself for my upcoming 60K.

Toy Man
Toy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:42 PM   #14
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Replace broken passenger side exhaust manifold.

Inspect driver side manifold.

Inspect brakes/clutch (seem too low and acting odd) I want a second opinion.

Replace Fuel Filter. (I hear it's a PIA)

Replace Belts.

PVC filter (maybe do it myself. I've got the part, but haven't bothered to check the install).

Maybe have front wheel bearings repacked (depends since the cost is about as much or more as putting Warn hubs in and packing them while everything is open).

Everything else I've done already, or will do soon.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:45 PM   #15
Azideam
AF Newbie

Unhappy Manifold Crack

Well I am the New owner of a 2001 Xterra SE,and I love the thing so far,Allthough not ready for the off road yet.
I had a bug today,I have been hearing this lifter noise under the hood so being that I just bought the truck used from a Nissan dealer.
I dropped It off for a valve adjustment.Needless to say the mechanic said I had a cracked Manifold!!! The truck has 23,000 miles on IT anyway Its In for the exchange and under warranty of course.
The message of the story Is,It will sound like tapping lifters and will quiet down after It warms up!But If you drive through a fast food outlet for some Grub you will hear the leak easier after It Is warm.

Cheers
Don
Azideam is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail