Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
superfret78
AF Regular

'89 CV overheating

I am going to try replacing the thermostat. I really should have taken the time to try and test and diagnose better, but I was lazy. I'll probably pay for it later. Just in case I get unlucky, which I always seem to do.....how hard is it to replace the water pump(i.e. what do you need to remove to get it off), or what are other common causes of overheat on these things? I am not familiar with CV's and this isn't my car. I'm not looking forward to working outside in 20 degree weather.
superfret78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
superfret78
AF Regular

Re: '89 CV overheating

Wait...which way is the thermostat supposed to point? I think whoever worked on the car last put it in backwards....
Old 12-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

The side with the spring points towards the motor.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 AM   #4
superfret78
AF Regular

Yeah, that's what I thought...I just had a brain fart and thought someone had put it in backwards, but I think I just remembered wrong when I pulled it out. I remembered it being spring end toward the radiator when pulling it out so that's why I thought it was backwards, however, that can't be because thre's no way she could've driven so long without it overheating. I think working outside in 18 degrees and a little snow froze my brain. At any rate, I'm paying for my laziness from not thoroughly checking. The thermostat wasn't the problem. I noticed some marks on the lower radiator hose where it looks like hot fluids have been dripping down on it. The water pump is right above it..so maybe its leaking, however the problem can't be from all the fluid leaking out since it wasn't missing much fluid to begin with after the first time it over heated. Both radiator hoses were hot this last time I checked it after it ran a while so I'm assuming the water pump is pushing fluid around in there. The fan works fine. I dunno...I need to look more closely, but we're snowed in due to a blizzard.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria