Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Esteem
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
ff122
AF Newbie

1999 Esteem Repair Manual

I am finding myself in the same position as "Torch" did. I have spent hours on the internet and cannot locate a service repair manual (outside of a dealership). I looked on e-bay as "neverbreaker" suggested and had no luck. Does anyone know someone who has a copy that would be willing to sell it or scan pages that I would need in order to work on my car.

Thanks

KT
ff122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
lowsonoma1999
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via AIM to lowsonoma1999
Re: 1999 Esteem Repair Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff122
I am finding myself in the same position as "Torch" did. I have spent hours on the internet and cannot locate a service repair manual (outside of a dealership). I looked on e-bay as "neverbreaker" suggested and had no luck. Does anyone know someone who has a copy that would be willing to sell it or scan pages that I would need in order to work on my car.

Thanks

KT
I'm the parts manager at a Suzuki dealership in Indianapolis. If you can't find any and you have to resort to the dealership, I'll give you a discount on them.

Service Manual Vol 1 & 2
part # = 99500-60G10-33E List is $180.15 I'll sell to you for $150 shipped

Wiring manual
part # = 99512-60G60-33E List is $15.04 I'll sell to you for $13 plus shipping, or free shipping if you buy both.

There is hardly any money to be made on these so I can't knock too much off. If you are interested, let me know.

John Nance, Parts Manager
Bob Rohrman Indy Hyundai, Suzuki Superstore
7101 East Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
(866) 263-7920
(317) 613-7048
www.indysuperstore.com
lowsonoma1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
ff122
AF Newbie

I appreciate the jesture. I will get back to you in the next few weeks.

Why is it that Suzuki parts are so hard to come by? For example I want to replace the Transmission Filter, which I was quoted at $119 from the dealership.

Thanks

KT
ff122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
Torch
AF Regular

99 Suzuki

I appriciate the jesture also, I'm not willing to pay more than around $20 for a manual. At some point it would be cheaper to pay for a shop to replace it than it would to buy a manual.

While I realize that a "Factory Manual" contains a lot of usefull information -IF- you are constantly servicing the same model of car day in and day out, and the book on whole is used from cover to cover and quickly pays for itself.

For the average person (like myself) I typically just need tune up specifications and or in this case a step-by-step procedure on how to line up the timing gears on an overhead cam engine, and maybe once in a car's lifetime the clearances needed on replacing the ring and pinion gears and how to change the head gasket. Which will come to around MAYBE 10 pages worth of info.

At the price my dealer quoted me that comes to $24.50 per page, it's not worth it to me. If it comes down to it and the idiot light on the dash comes on and my neighbor's OBD-II scanner says that the engine isn't able to control the timing on it's own anymore I will just take my chances and hope I don't end up slamming the pistons and valves together.

Maybe I will end up writing the manual on how to do it, I unintentionally ended up doing that with a 1978 Volkswagen bus with a California engine on how to replace the alternator. Without being too long winded it ended up being a 9 page manual on 8.5 x 11 inch paper, it was such a complicated procedure that I didn't want anyone else to spend the two days on the ground that I did trying to figure out how to take a California engine apart. I spent two hours editing it, printed it out and gave it to the owner in case he ever needed it again.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Good day to you all.

-Torch
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 01:18 AM   #5
Torch
AF Regular

Repair manual...

In case anyone is interested I am starting to write a repair manual for this car, I'm currently working on Chapter 3 that covers the brakes. The next chapter will probably cover the Electrical System, it is kind of a write it down after I fix/replace whatever is wrong with the car. Mine currently has over 75k miles on it so things are starting to wear out.

I have no idea when it will be done, right now it is all being written in MS-Word and will probably be ported over to a web version that will run off of a CD.

Anyway, it is being written in a friendly hands on style with help and suggestions on getting you through the place where you usually throw your tools on the floor and start swearing.

I rarely check this message board, if you want to email me my address is: jim_naisium@hotmail.com

-Torch
Old 12-11-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
Torch
AF Regular

99 Esteem

Hi everyone,

The manual is still being worked on, I still don't have any idea when it will be done.

I saw a hard back "Shop Manual" published by Chilton in an auto parts store that said that it included the 99 Esteem, but when I went to the chapter for the Esteem the top of the page was titled "Swift/Esteem" and only covered the 1.3 engine that I assume the Swift has in it.

From the experience I have working on the 99 Esteem almost NOTHING in this book even related to the 1.6 engine, in my opinion it should not even have the Esteem name on it.

Anyway, thought I would let everyone know, I can still be emailed at: jim_naisium@hotmail.com

I found a link that may be of interest to everyone: http://suzukibaleno.narod.ru/ it has a lot of info that may be usefull if you have the 1.6 engine. The only bad thing I have found so far is that the website is in Russia and takes FOREVER to load here on the west coast of the USA.

-Torch

Last edited by Torch; 12-11-2004 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
Torch
AF Regular

Hi everyone,

Due to the horrid winter here in the Pacific NW I have not spent a lot of time on my car other then driving it through the LOVELY weather we have been having here.

Anyway, I am STILL working on the manual, do not give up hope, I am planning on getting at least some part of it online sometime soon.

The URL will be: http://home.comcast.net/~transwarp2000/99suzuki/
Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
Torch
AF Regular

Hi again,

The website is up: http://home.comcast.net/~transwarp2000/99suzuki/
but a lot of stuff is still under construction, check the various links, some of them work some of them do not, I should be getting them updated soon with more to follow.

For some reason it only seems to load correctly in Internet Explorer, hopefully I will figure that out soon as to why it will not load correctly in other browsers (everything is small).

If you know how to correct this with HTML please email me, although I can only reward you with a "thank you".

jim_naisium@hotmail.com
Old 10-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
Torch
AF Regular

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the LONG delay, as that one commercial says "Life comes at you fast...", well, umm, yeah.

Anyway, long story short I had to let Comcast go, I found a new place to put the site up at: http://www.geocities.com/lj_robins/99_Suzuki/
As much as I hate Geocites at least they are free.

The site does NOT have very much content right now, almost all the links the the left hand frame will give you an "Under Contruction" prompt, but check it out anyway.

I'll get things updated when I can.

- Landon
Old 05-16-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
Torch
AF Regular

Hi everyone,

Due to new bandwidth restrictions that Geocities has imposed it is no longer practical to keep my website on their server. With that in mind the site has been moved to the following location and will hopefully remain there for some time:

http://home.comcast.net/~lj_robins/99suzuki/

The transfer was more or less painless I went through everything and did not see anything wrong other than some typos that I previously overlooked.
If you see anything functionally wrong with the page (missing graphics, 404 errors, etc.) please email me.

More content has been added, there are still a few things under construction, this last year has not been fun but I won't bore you with my life.

Thank you for all the questions that were emailed to me, hopefully I answered them all and was able to give you some usefull information. Perhaps I can somehow incorporate the questions into some kind of question and answer database on the website.

Questions can still be sent to: jim_naisium@hotmail.com

Later,

-Torch
Old 08-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #11
Torch
AF Regular

Hi again,

The website is still available at: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_robins/99suzuki/.

I have done some recent updates to the content of the page, mainly the Brakes, Fluids, and Electrical sections. Come check it out!

I also found this little tidbit of news on the web: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Esteem

As always, questions and comments can be sent to: jim_naisium@hotmail.com

-Torch
Old 08-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #12
beanish
AF Newbie

wow!

I'm having an 1999 Esteem GL wagon shipped from Vancouver to Toronto (home) as I type this. Honestly, if i'd known what a hassle/expense it is to find a shop manual for these things I might have gone the Subaru route

Torch thanks for the great page! I'm sure it will come in handy!

If anyone is actually into grabbing a communal shop manual for xeroxing/scanning let me know, I could pony up 20 bucks or so...

Cheers!
beanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
Torch
AF Regular

Hi again,

Web site is still at: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_robins/99suzuki/

I just replaced my timing belt this weekend and documented everything (yes there are pictures!!), there are a few other changes to the site, nothing major though.

Coming up soon is a section on replacing the alternator belt.

-Torch
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #14
Torch
AF Regular

Hi All,

It is almost unbelievable that I have been running this website for over five years, I have literally received emails from all over the world, and for the most part I have kept them all.

I would like to personally thank everyone for the wonderful comments and suggestions I have received, this is usually the place where the web master says that due to....... the site is closing, but fear not I have no plans on closing it.

The web site is still up and running at: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_robins/99suzuki/ I just added a section on replacing the drive shafts (half-shafts), and did a little bit of re-organizing things.

Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #15
Torch
AF Regular

The website is still up and running at: http://home.comcast.net/~lj_robins/99suzuki/ it had a little bit of a re-write the file structure was getting way out of hand, for the most part the re-write should be transparent to everyone.

Things were cleaned up a little bit, the left hand navigation bar is a little nicer now, I also did some updates to make it compatible with Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.

I added a section called "Emissions" that will be the next focus on updating it this summer, I have had some problems with the car and this just happened to be the next thing. Within "Emissions" the EGR Valve is already posted there, the various sensors will covered in greater detail since they have a huge effect on how the car runs and behaves.

Later,

-Jim