Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
canyonblue77
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to canyonblue77
Question '87 Transmission Troubles

Hi all, I recently changed the transmission fluid in my 87 vic and added some friction modifier. A few days after this the transmission stoped shifting past 2nd gear. Everything else seems fine and as long as i don't mind the screaming RPM's i can even get the car up to 60MPH. Not sure if the friction modifier had anything to do with it or just the overall changing of the fluid. Nothing seemed to have gone awry during the fluid change. Anyone have any ideas or ever encounter something similar?

Also, i found a "Master Repair Kit" made by Motorcraft and one by Pioneer Products. Is this product likely to fix my transmission woes? And how complicated is the repair not including the pain in the ### it'll be to get it out and back in?

Any ideas, comments, suggestion, or just random thoughts on the topic are very appreciated!!!!!!

P.S. There seem to be 4 options for my trans type and I'm not completely sure; whats the diff between c-4, c-6, FMX, and Overdrive auto transmissions... and the bigger question... which do i have/how do i tell.????????
canyonblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
93interceptor
AF Newbie

I have been against additives other than to flush a system before changing the fluids, but that may or may not have anything to do with your problem. I have heard that when you change dirty trans fluid, the new clean fluid can magnify an exsisting problem, I dont know the specifics of that trans(sorry), but you should make sure you use the factory recomended type of fluid. not just any trans fluid will do especialy with ford trannys.
93interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
canyonblue77
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to canyonblue77
Re: '87 Transmission Troubles

I found another post that talks about a rubber grommet that connects the linkage to the transmission... anyone have experience with this and does it sound like i might have this problem???
canyonblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #4
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

scenario1:flush that tranny! ford transmissions are super sensative to additives.they use type F transmission fluid,wich has a higher hydraulic test rating,than dextron.your additive has destroyed your transmission fluids hydraulic value.,and its not accumulating enough pressure for the valve body to function.
scenario2:changing the tranny fliud has dislodged some kind of filth inside the transmission,and the govoner,or the 2-3 shift accumulator valve\circuit is malfuntioning.
REBUILD:i think a clutch spring compressor tool,and snap ring pliars,and a basic 3/8 drive tool kit will do it.But rebuilding it requires training.Its a bitch just to find the hidden snap rings,and seals.
thats a big negative on the rebuild captain.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
dxrflyboy
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue77
Hi all, I recently changed the transmission fluid in my 87 vic and added some friction modifier. A few days after this the transmission stoped shifting past 2nd gear. Everything else seems fine and as long as i don't mind the screaming RPM's i can even get the car up to 60MPH. Not sure if the friction modifier had anything to do with it or just the overall changing of the fluid. Nothing seemed to have gone awry during the fluid change. Anyone have any ideas or ever encounter something similar?

Also, i found a "Master Repair Kit" made by Motorcraft and one by Pioneer Products. Is this product likely to fix my transmission woes? And how complicated is the repair not including the pain in the ### it'll be to get it out and back in?

Any ideas, comments, suggestion, or just random thoughts on the topic are very appreciated!!!!!!

P.S. There seem to be 4 options for my trans type and I'm not completely sure; whats the diff between c-4, c-6, FMX, and Overdrive auto transmissions... and the bigger question... which do i have/how do i tell.????????
Your '87 should have an AOD. "Automatic Overdrive" should be stamped into the pan. They used Mercon/Dexron III fluid. Unless you are having torque converter clutch engagement issues, I would stick with the correct fluid and no additives. Sometimes Mercon V fluid will correct converter clutch problems. A number of things could be causing the shift problem, including a stuck throttle valve/linkage. I suggest dropping the pan again and making sure nothing was damaged/dislodged during the service.
dxrflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 02:15 AM   #6
grimor
AF Newbie

Re: Re: '87 Transmission Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue77
I found another post that talks about a rubber grommet that connects the linkage to the transmission... anyone have experience with this and does it sound like i might have this problem???
it MIGHT be your problem but 90% of the time you will lose OD first and your drive will still work till your trans slowly burns up over time. you can check the grommet where your TV cable attatches to the throttle assembly
grimor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria