Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
95vtecpower
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 95vtecpower Send a message via Yahoo to 95vtecpower
h22 and F22 tranny

hey guy i got a question i got a 1990 honda accord with a f22 engine but the engiune blew up, so now i got a h22 engine that i got from one of my friends of a 1998 honda prelude.
so i was woundering if the transmition i got on my accord would fit on my h22 motor ? or i need to replace my transmition too ?
Distributor
P28 ECU
Starter
Alternator
Power stering Pump
Intake Manifold
All this Came off a 1995 Honda Civic d16z6
95vtecpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
94accordlx1
AF Regular

Re: h22 and F22 tranny

it should because f22 and h22 tranny are the same
94accordlx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
95vtecpower
AF Regular

Re: Re: h22 and F22 tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94accordlx1
it should because f22 and h22 tranny are the same
see the transmition i got in my accord ia automatic so would that work ?
Distributor
P28 ECU
Starter
Alternator
Power stering Pump
Intake Manifold
Old 05-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
19prixgt98
Banned

yes they will fit, i am 100% sure on that one! and you will like the f22 better!!! good luck with the swap dude
19prixgt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
19prixgt98
Banned

as long as your planning to stay automatic!!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
95vtecpower
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19prixgt98
yes they will fit, i am 100% sure on that one! and you will like the f22 better!!! good luck with the swap dude
why whould i like the f22 better? I'm thinking about later down the road swith to manual tranny
or should i just save the motor and buy a manual tranny and then sell my honda and get a honda civic and swap it in ?
cause if u say that the 2 is going to work better why then waste my time in swiching it u know what i mean?
so what u guys think swap and manual tranny into the automatic accord or get a civic and swap it on a civic /.?
Distributor
P28 ECU
Starter
Alternator
Power stering Pump
Intake Manifold
Old 05-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
19prixgt98
Banned

the f22 tranny has longer gears! from what i have heard. I have lots of friends that have f22 trannys on their h22 motor and they said they loved the f22 tranny feel! just going with what i have heard~
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
95vtecpower
AF Regular

Quote:
the f22 tranny has longer gears! from what i have heard. I have lots of friends that have f22 trannys on their h22 motor and they said they loved the f22 tranny feel! just going with what i have heard~
if i put this h22 motor on my 90 honda accord would i be able to feel the difference? been auto ?
Distributor
P28 ECU
Starter
Alternator
Power stering Pump
Intake Manifold
Old 05-03-2005, 08:13 AM   #9
19prixgt98
Banned

o hell yea....i swapped a h22a motor in my 92 accord auto....and i was really surprised the difference......i went from 125 hp to 200hp in a couple weeks....plus ur exhaust and other mods, which then will make it bout 205-210! but yes you will feel a hell of a difference

but if you get a jdm tcu(transmission control unit) you will be redlining at like 7200-7500 rather than 6400! so theres a bunch of small stuff that can be done to make a big diff. on the swap!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
95vtecpower
AF Regular

Quote:
o hell yea....i swapped a h22a motor in my 92 accord auto....and i was really surprised the difference......i went from 125 hp to 200hp in a couple weeks....plus ur exhaust and other mods, which then will make it bout 205-210! but yes you will feel a hell of a difference

but if you get a jdm tcu(transmission control unit) you will be redlining at like 7200-7500 rather than 6400! so theres a bunch of small stuff that can be done to make a big diff. on the swap!
hey guys let me ask u another question which ecu i need to get to put on my 90 accord ? p13, p28? which one ? should i keep the one that is already in the car? well my other question does anyone knows how to wire the vtec selenoid and all that stuff that i need to do ? if u do know where is a diagram or something like that please let me know ?
my other question would be wich wires harnes should i use on the h22
the ones that is already on the f22engine on my accord or should i use the one that came with the h22 engine ?
other question should i use the injectors that are already in the f22 motor on the h22 ? cause the fuel raild and injectors fit just fine . or should i use the original h22 injectors ?
Distributor
P28 ECU
Starter
Alternator
Power stering Pump
Intake Manifold

Last edited by 95vtecpower; 05-03-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:10 AM   #11
97 Accord SE
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 97 Accord SE
I don't know what other guy is talking about...but you AT LEAST want a manual tranny with that h22. Any f-series or H-series tranny will bolt up.

Most people will tell you to go with the h22 tranny as it has shorter gear ratios and will have better acceleration. But with that acceleration comes the cost of worse gas milage, as you'll be at a higher rpm during most cruising sutiations. Ex.with the h22 tranny @ 80 mph you'll be at around 4000 rpm vs. about 3000 rpm for the f22 tranny.

While that may be good for the highway it works aganist you around town. So you gotta decide which is more important to you. I'd suggest the h22 tranny though, the acceleration difference is big and most people would tell you the same.

Edit: About the ECU, you may want to convert to obd1 and use one of those ECUs...not sure about the numbers on those....but it'll run best with a prelude vtec ECU. (duh!)
97 Accord SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #12
19prixgt98
Banned

the h22 engine ur gettin didnt come with an ecu? i would stick with the p13, thats a jdm ecu that i used!

I ran the h22 transmission on my h22 engine, but mine was automatic and i loved it, the h22 tranny might be shorter, but i have heard people say that the f22 tranny satisfied them more than the h22 tranny!

so either one will work, i guess its up to your instincts and what you wanna do!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:39 AM   #13
95vtecpower
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Accord SE
I don't know what other guy is talking about...but you AT LEAST want a manual tranny with that h22. Any f-series or H-series tranny will bolt up.

Most people will tell you to go with the h22 tranny as it has shorter gear ratios and will have better acceleration. But with that acceleration comes the cost of worse gas milage, as you'll be at a higher rpm during most cruising sutiations. Ex.with the h22 tranny @ 80 mph you'll be at around 4000 rpm vs. about 3000 rpm for the f22 tranny.

While that may be good for the highway it works aganist you around town. So you gotta decide which is more important to you. I'd suggest the h22 tranny though, the acceleration difference is big and most people would tell you the same.

Edit: About the ECU, you may want to convert to obd1 and use one of those ECUs...not sure about the numbers on those....but it'll run best with a prelude vtec ECU. (duh!)
does any one knows how wire the vtec from the p13 ecu ? u know my car is a 90 model and dont have vtec .
Distributor
P28 ECU
Starter
Alternator
Power stering Pump
Intake Manifold
Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #14
19prixgt98
Banned

ok buddy....here you go...hope this helps.!!!

Buy a manual for the year vehicle your engine came from, for the vehicle it’s going into, and for the year of the ECU you plan to use.
Example: 97H22 with P13 OBD-1 ECU (1994 Vtec Prelude) into a 93 Accord. Get a 97 Prelude helms, a 94 Prelude helms, and a 93 Accord helms manual. Go to www.helminc.com to get them.

Use the accord wiring harness and lengthen/modify the harness to fit the H22. If you undo the tape and loom on your F22 harness you will free up allot of free wire. For instance you will not have to lengthen the O2 wiring, If you remove the tape and loom there is enough wire to move the O2 wiring to it’s new location. Just re-tape and loom when you are done. If possible try to solder and heat shrink all the engine harnesses connections to avoid problems.

The oil pressure sensor has a different plug on the h22, swap the accord sensor onto the h22 or simply change the plug. The EGR also has a different plug. Simply reuse your F22 EGR valve or change the plug. The F22 has an extra coolant temp sensor on the radiator return neck that H22 does not, simply swap necks between engines.

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
- Vtec solenoid: Pin A4
- Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6
- Knock sensor: Pin D3
- Secondary Intake Solenoid: Pin A17 (Connect Black/Yellow wire on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A17)
- FPR Solenoid: Pin A10 (Connect Black/Yellow on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A10. This Solenoid is not found on all H22’s but it is on some. It will not hurt anything if you don’t use it, but should you want to this is the correct way to connect it. It is located near the fuel rail next to the IAC on the H22)

* Using a 94/95 Accord ECU (P0A/P0B)? Swap pin A6 with A11 on the ECU harness. This is necessary since the 5th gen was wired opposite of the 4th gen for these two pins.

Where to get pins:
Go to a junkyard, find any OBD-1 Honda, and cut the ECU harness out. There you have a ready supply of ECU pins. Just remove the style pin you need and install it in the blank spot on your current plug. Of course cut enough so you can splice to .

Plug identification and numbering:
The largest plug is “A”, the middle and smallest is “B”, the last and second largest plug is “D”. Plug “C” only exists on 4WS vehicles. The pins are numbers in the “Zig-Zag” fashion and from the wire side. Meaning looking at the plug from the wire side pin 1 will be on the left, pin 2 below it, pin 3 to the right of pin 1 on the top row, so on and so fourth. Top row is odd and the bottom row is even.

Axles:- For simplicity use the Accord Axles and half shaft. If you wish you can use the Prelude half shaft and have the Prelude driver’s side inner joint attached to the Accord Axle. Do not use the Prelude axles as they are to long.

Air Conditioning (H22A):
To keep ac take the bracket off the F22 and put it on the H22 and use the Accord compressor.

Power Steering (H22A):
Use the 4th gen Bracket and pump. Only two bolt holes will line up and you will have to shim the lower hole. Or you can use the H22A Bracket, Pump, and you will need the Prelude high pressure line.

Mounts:
For the H22A simply reuse the all the Accord mounts. The brackets are the same. You will need to swap the F22Ax front mount bracket onto the H22A.

For other engines such as the F22B1 you will need to use the F22Ax driver’s side mount and bracket. Remove it from the F22Ax and reuse it on the F22B1. All the bolts will line up except for one.

Transmission Mounts:
For the 5-Speed you will need to drill (Beleive it's an "S" drill bit, Double check before you do anything!) and use a 10.25mm tap to tap the two unused holes in the Prelude transmissions case, Remove the studs from their old location, and install them in the location you just drilled and tapped. Then you can mount up the Accord's tranny mount on the Prelude transmission.

For Autos nothing is needed it just bolts up with no additional modding.

Exhaust:

For the H22A the USDM 93-96 Vtec manifold will bolt right up to the CB7 Exhaust. However the JDM H22A down pipe seems to have larger flange that will not bolt up to the CB7 cat. You can either cut and weld a new flange or the easiest route would be just purchase an aftermarket header for the 93-96 Vtec Prelude.

* When installing an H22A4 (97+ USDM H22A) I have heard that the header rubs the front crossmember. You will need to grind down the front crossmember in this case.

For other engines such as an F22B1 there will be some sort of custom exhaust work required.

Using an OBD2 engine such as the 97+ H22A4 or Type-S H22A:
The easiest way to accomplish this goal is to use the OBD-1 distributor, Injectors, and ECU. I’m not going to get into converting the OBD-1 Cb7 to OBD-2a since almost no one will be doing this.

Here is a description of wiring for converting OBD-2 distributor wiring to OBD-1 and vice versa:

Internal/External Coil Issues:
If your car came equipped with an internal coil then the JDM H22 distributor will plug right in no problem. However, if your car had external coil then you will have to modify one plug. The plug you will need to modify is the plug that went to the stock coil. There are is a yellow and a yellow/black wire, splice those 2 wires together. The Black/White wire is useless, don’t worry about it.

If your car is external coil and you wish to maintain the external coil you will need to open the JDM dizzy, remove the internal coil. Run the wire from the igniter that used to go to the internal coil out of the distributor and plug it into the blank spot on the distributor’s plug. That’s it. Use the 93-95 Prelude Vtec’s Distributor cap and rotor that you can pick-up and your local dealer or auto parts.

What caps to use:
Internal coil – CB7 internal coil cap/rotor or 00 Civic SI cap/rotor.
External coil – 93-95 Prelude Vtec cap/rotor.

Transmision Codes:
M2A4 – JDM H22A tranny non-LSD.
M2B4 – JDM H22A tranny LSD Equipped.
M2S4 - USDM H23A1 tranny/possibly also JDM f22b tranny as well.
M2F4 - USDM H22A1 tranny.
M2YA – USDM H22A4 tranny.
M2U4 - USDM Type SH tranny
T2T4 - JDM Accord SiR-T 5spd LSD Equipped (F20B).
T2W4 - Accord Euro-R LSD Equipped (Japan)
U2Q7- Accord Type-R LSD Equipped. (Europe)

The JDM LSD will NOT fit in the USDM tranny case. The JDM case is bigger.

Thanks to Gerhard_001 for that piece of info.

Auto Tranny, Using the Prelude auto tranny and TCU:
Courtsey of JWise1203:

To make the shift lock operate properly you will need to run a wire from the shifter position switch to the tranny controller. On the left side of the shifter there is a box with about 5/6 wires going into it. This is the shifter position switch. You need to tap into the GRN/WHT wire and run it back to pin A7 on the TCM. Plug A is the bigger of the 2 plugs.

enjoy!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #15
95vtecpower
AF Regular

Quote:
ok buddy....here you go...hope this helps.!!!

Buy a manual for the year vehicle your engine came from, for the vehicle it’s going into, and for the year of the ECU you plan to use.
Example: 97H22 with P13 OBD-1 ECU (1994 Vtec Prelude) into a 93 Accord. Get a 97 Prelude helms, a 94 Prelude helms, and a 93 Accord helms manual. Go to www.helminc.com to get them.

Use the accord wiring harness and lengthen/modify the harness to fit the H22. If you undo the tape and loom on your F22 harness you will free up allot of free wire. For instance you will not have to lengthen the O2 wiring, If you remove the tape and loom there is enough wire to move the O2 wiring to it’s new location. Just re-tape and loom when you are done. If possible try to solder and heat shrink all the engine harnesses connections to avoid problems.

The oil pressure sensor has a different plug on the h22, swap the accord sensor onto the h22 or simply change the plug. The EGR also has a different plug. Simply reuse your F22 EGR valve or change the plug. The F22 has an extra coolant temp sensor on the radiator return neck that H22 does not, simply swap necks between engines.

Pin locations for OBD-1 ECU’s:
- Vtec solenoid: Pin A4
- Vtec pressure switch: Pin D6
- Knock sensor: Pin D3
- Secondary Intake Solenoid: Pin A17 (Connect Black/Yellow wire on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A17)
- FPR Solenoid: Pin A10 (Connect Black/Yellow on solenoid to switched ignition, the other to pin A10. This Solenoid is not found on all H22’s but it is on some. It will not hurt anything if you don’t use it, but should you want to this is the correct way to connect it. It is located near the fuel rail next to the IAC on the H22)

* Using a 94/95 Accord ECU (P0A/P0B)? Swap pin A6 with A11 on the ECU harness. This is necessary since the 5th gen was wired opposite of the 4th gen for these two pins.

Where to get pins:
Go to a junkyard, find any OBD-1 Honda, and cut the ECU harness out. There you have a ready supply of ECU pins. Just remove the style pin you need and install it in the blank spot on your current plug. Of course cut enough so you can splice to .

Plug identification and numbering:
The largest plug is “A”, the middle and smallest is “B”, the last and second largest plug is “D”. Plug “C” only exists on 4WS vehicles. The pins are numbers in the “Zig-Zag” fashion and from the wire side. Meaning looking at the plug from the wire side pin 1 will be on the left, pin 2 below it, pin 3 to the right of pin 1 on the top row, so on and so fourth. Top row is odd and the bottom row is even.

Axles:- For simplicity use the Accord Axles and half shaft. If you wish you can use the Prelude half shaft and have the Prelude driver’s side inner joint attached to the Accord Axle. Do not use the Prelude axles as they are to long.

Air Conditioning (H22A):
To keep ac take the bracket off the F22 and put it on the H22 and use the Accord compressor.

Power Steering (H22A):
Use the 4th gen Bracket and pump. Only two bolt holes will line up and you will have to shim the lower hole. Or you can use the H22A Bracket, Pump, and you will need the Prelude high pressure line.

Mounts:
For the H22A simply reuse the all the Accord mounts. The brackets are the same. You will need to swap the F22Ax front mount bracket onto the H22A.

For other engines such as the F22B1 you will need to use the F22Ax driver’s side mount and bracket. Remove it from the F22Ax and reuse it on the F22B1. All the bolts will line up except for one.

Transmission Mounts:
For the 5-Speed you will need to drill (Beleive it's an "S" drill bit, Double check before you do anything!) and use a 10.25mm tap to tap the two unused holes in the Prelude transmissions case, Remove the studs from their old location, and install them in the location you just drilled and tapped. Then you can mount up the Accord's tranny mount on the Prelude transmission.

For Autos nothing is needed it just bolts up with no additional modding.

Exhaust:

For the H22A the USDM 93-96 Vtec manifold will bolt right up to the CB7 Exhaust. However the JDM H22A down pipe seems to have larger flange that will not bolt up to the CB7 cat. You can either cut and weld a new flange or the easiest route would be just purchase an aftermarket header for the 93-96 Vtec Prelude.

* When installing an H22A4 (97+ USDM H22A) I have heard that the header rubs the front crossmember. You will need to grind down the front crossmember in this case.

For other engines such as an F22B1 there will be some sort of custom exhaust work required.

Using an OBD2 engine such as the 97+ H22A4 or Type-S H22A:
The easiest way to accomplish this goal is to use the OBD-1 distributor, Injectors, and ECU. I’m not going to get into converting the OBD-1 Cb7 to OBD-2a since almost no one will be doing this.

Here is a description of wiring for converting OBD-2 distributor wiring to OBD-1 and vice versa:

Internal/External Coil Issues:
If your car came equipped with an internal coil then the JDM H22 distributor will plug right in no problem. However, if your car had external coil then you will have to modify one plug. The plug you will need to modify is the plug that went to the stock coil. There are is a yellow and a yellow/black wire, splice those 2 wires together. The Black/White wire is useless, don’t worry about it.

If your car is external coil and you wish to maintain the external coil you will need to open the JDM dizzy, remove the internal coil. Run the wire from the igniter that used to go to the internal coil out of the distributor and plug it into the blank spot on the distributor’s plug. That’s it. Use the 93-95 Prelude Vtec’s Distributor cap and rotor that you can pick-up and your local dealer or auto parts.

What caps to use:
Internal coil – CB7 internal coil cap/rotor or 00 Civic SI cap/rotor.
External coil – 93-95 Prelude Vtec cap/rotor.

Transmision Codes:
M2A4 – JDM H22A tranny non-LSD.
M2B4 – JDM H22A tranny LSD Equipped.
M2S4 - USDM H23A1 tranny/possibly also JDM f22b tranny as well.
M2F4 - USDM H22A1 tranny.
M2YA – USDM H22A4 tranny.
M2U4 - USDM Type SH tranny
T2T4 - JDM Accord SiR-T 5spd LSD Equipped (F20B).
T2W4 - Accord Euro-R LSD Equipped (Japan)
U2Q7- Accord Type-R LSD Equipped. (Europe)

The JDM LSD will NOT fit in the USDM tranny case. The JDM case is bigger.

Thanks to Gerhard_001 for that piece of info.

Auto Tranny, Using the Prelude auto tranny and TCU:
Courtsey of JWise1203:

To make the shift lock operate properly you will need to run a wire from the shifter position switch to the tranny controller. On the left side of the shifter there is a box with about 5/6 wires going into it. This is the shifter position switch. You need to tap into the GRN/WHT wire and run it back to pin A7 on the TCM. Plug A is the bigger of the 2 plugs.

enjoy!

damn bro thxs for the help that is alot of info. it sems so complicated so im thinking aBOUT Selling the h22 motor
Distributor
P28 ECU
Starter
Alternator
Power stering Pump
Intake Manifold

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid