Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
snowking67
AF Newbie

2002 Nissan Maxima GLE Dash warning lights coming on

I just went through a car wash and my Traction Control, Slip, and ABS lights came on about 5 minutes later. The code said it was the left rear speed sensor. We cleaned it up and everything was fine for a week and now I drove through a small puddle at low speed and all the lights came back on again. Brakes are working fine. I am suspicious about it being just the rear wheel sensor. Would one wheel sensor make all the lights come on like that? Is it possible something else is getting wet to cause this problem? I don't want to by a $200 sensor and find out it's something else. It seems to be something getting wet causing a short. Any ideas?
snowking67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 Nissan Maxima GLE Dash warning lights coming on

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowking67 View Post
I just went through a car wash and my Traction Control, Slip, and ABS lights came on about 5 minutes later. The code said it was the left rear speed sensor. We cleaned it up and everything was fine for a week and now I drove through a small puddle at low speed and all the lights came back on again. Brakes are working fine. I am suspicious about it being just the rear wheel sensor. Would one wheel sensor make all the lights come on like that? Is it possible something else is getting wet to cause this problem? I don't want to by a $200 sensor and find out it's something else. It seems to be something getting wet causing a short. Any ideas?
Have you inspected the wiring away from the wheel for broken and or bare wires?
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
snowking67
AF Newbie

Yes, I had my mechanic look at it and he couldn't find anything.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, I had my mechanic look at it and he couldn't find anything.
Do the lights go off in time or are they consistently on??? Have you tried dielectric grease on the sensor wiring harnnes connector.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
snowking67
AF Newbie

The lights basically stay on until I shut the car off and restart it. It has only happened a couple times in the last week and a half. Where would I find the wiring coupler your talking about? Is it possible that just one wheel sensor would make all those lights come on at the same time?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The lights basically stay on until I shut the car off and restart it. It has only happened a couple times in the last week and a half. Where would I find the wiring coupler your talking about? Is it possible that just one wheel sensor would make all those lights come on at the same time?
Yes 1 sensor will cause the lights to come on. To find the harness and sensor connector follow the wiring from the sensor on the wheel axle towards the frame/body, I would guess about 20 inches from the wheel.

Here is a link for what the sensor and its wiring looks like.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0165&ppt=C0009
Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Max144
AF Newbie

may be while washing your car you drop some water in wire or on sensor and now its disturbing your car computer. if dried all the water then please wait for some time because when the water will dry naturally then the lights will work again properly.