Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
jaccod
AF Newbie

Overhead console

I'm probably in over my head but I purchased an overhead console for my 2003 Venture which was not equiped with one from the factory. I was hoping someone knew the wiring of it. There are 8 wires going to the unit.

Tan
Orange
Gray/Black
Gray
Green/Black
Green
Black
Yellow

I know it needs 12 volts and ground and I believe the temp probe uses 2 wires but which wires and what else i have no clue. I was hoping someone in the forum could clue me in. Thanks alot I appreciate any help.
jaccod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
gls02
AF Regular

Wiring

This is from my factory service manual for my 2002 Silhouette. I will give you the colors of the wires just like the manual has them.

ORN - Battery Positive Voltage

BRN - Ignition 3 Voltage

GRY - Instrument Panel Lamp Supply Voltage - 1

YEL - DLC (Data Link Communications)

LT GRN/BLK - Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

BLK - Ground

BLK - Ground

The manual only shows 7 wires, not the eight that you have.

Hopes this helps.
gls02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
jaccod
AF Newbie

Re: Overhead console

Thanks this is the only info I have received in two months of searching. I greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
redly1
AF Regular

I was thinking of doing this with my 03 Montana.

Tell me, does the wiring harness exist in the vehicle, or are the 8 wires part of the console assembly?

Keep us posted on how this turns out for you
redly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
cdru
AF Enthusiast

A shop manual would be really invaluable for this as it will have exact locations for connections and pinouts.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
jaccod
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by redly1
I was thinking of doing this with my 03 Montana.

Tell me, does the wiring harness exist in the vehicle, or are the 8 wires part of the console assembly?

Keep us posted on how this turns out for you
With all the research I have done on this indicates that GM does not put in the extra copper if the specs do not call for them. Boo Hoo....
Old 04-22-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
kdm004
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccod
With all the research I have done on this indicates that GM does not put in the extra copper if the specs do not call for them. Boo Hoo....
Hi I mjust did it to my 01 montana and the wires are up in the head liner they are taped down over the drivers head connector and all . now from what i can find out there is an ambiant air senser right behind the front grill its a 8-9 dollar part from Gm and as for the directional part im not sure how to set that the dealer might be a good guy and help you out . But the wires are there just pull the electrical tape back a bit and count the wires and colours and you will find them and they are taped down kinda good might need small hands to pull the tape free good luck Kirk
kdm004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
gls02
AF Regular

Compass

Compass Calibration.

Depress and hold down both the MODE and E/M buttons while the DIC is in the Compass/Temperature mode. Ignore the variation zone which shows up after 5 seconds and continue holding the buttons. After ten seconds the DIC will acknowledge that calibration is requested by illuminating the C indicator on the compass display if it's not already lit. To calibrate the compass, drive the vehicle through two circles less than 5 mph in a magnetically clean area. The C indicator will disappear and the DIC will display the proper vehicle display.

Setting the Compass Variation.

Compass variation is the difference between magnetic north and geographic north. In some areas of the country the difference is great enough to cause the compass to give a false reading. If this occures, the compass variance must be set. The zones are numbered 1 through 15. Depress and hold both the MODE and the E/M buttons simultaneously while the DIC is in the Compass/Temperature mode. After 5 seconds, the DIC will display the current variation setting. Release the buttons and adjust to the correct variation number using the E/M button. When the desired variation is reached press the MODE button to accept

If tell me what city and state you are from I will tell you the zone number you need to set. This zone map might be in your owners manual.
gls02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
redly1
AF Regular

kdm004....
thanks! I noticed the connector up in front of the radiator for the temperature sensor, so I was hoping the rest of the harness was there inside the vehicle.

It makes sense that the wires would be there, as it would probably cost more to manage a variety of vehicle wiring harnesses than it would to just add it to each vehicle

time to hit ebay or car-part.com looking for an overhead console.
redly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #10
jaccod
AF Newbie

@ kdm004

What was it like taking the head liner out? Did you mount the mounting bracket and then cut the liner to the bracket? Please as much detail as possible. I can't believe contact with people who have answers. I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks.

jaccod
Old 05-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Hello guys!

I have a 2001 Venture, and I could buy one coming from a 1998 venture. Does anyone know if it'll work in the 2001?

Thanks!

Yves.
ypelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #12
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Finally, I have been able to locate an extended overhead console, that was pulled out of a wrecked 2001 Venture.

Does anyone know exactly where to look for the outside air temperature connector on the 2001 Venture?

Some say the connector its located near the radiator.

Some say the connector is located near the windshield washer tank.

Thanks in advance for all the help you could provide on this matter.

The engine compartment in the Venture, is so full, that it's difficult to locate things.

Yves.

Last edited by ypelchat; 08-11-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Talking Just did it!

Ok, so i finally managed to install an overhead console with DIC, in my 2001 Venture that was not equipped with one when it left the factory.

Actually, electrically speaking, it was pretty easy to do. The main wiring is already there, and I found the DIC connector and wiring taped and attached to the headliner, over the passenger's side. To gain access to the connector, you will have to remove the two retaining clips that secures the sunshades in place. Thoses clips keep the sunshades from rotating freely. You do not need to remove or loosen the 3 main sunshades screws at all. Just the two small clips. Thoses clips are attached to the roof, with only one screw.

Then you will have to reach over the headliner with your hand, to locate the wiring harness, then peel the tape, then pull on the wiring harness, to find the connector. When you have the connector in your hands, it's just a matter of "plug and play", to have the DIC operating.

Next:

If you look carefully, you will find that there is an unused connector (a 3 pin connector, but with only 2 wires), near the windshield washer tank. This connector is used for the outside temperature sensor. However, in my 2001 Venture, there's an extra wiring harness extension that needs to be purchased (about two feet long). You will need this wiring extension to be able to mount the outside temperature sensor in the right place, which is in front of the radiator, on the left side. So you will have to purchase the sensor itself (about $10.00) and the wiring extension harness (about $12.00). Maybe this extra wiring harness is already there on the Pontiac Montana, but in my 2001 Venture, it's not there, so I had to purchase it.

So far, so good, however, there's a catch.....

The new overhead console, with the DIC, is slightly narrower than the old console... which means that the headliner cutout hole, near the windshield, is about 1/8 inch larger, on both sides of the front part of the console (near the windshield), than the original overhead console. This gap is only visible for about an inch long, and the rest of the length of the console is OK, with no visible gap. To plug this gap, i've cut the "U" part of the old console, and managed to make the plastic part thinner, using a sander. I then inserted the thinned part over the new console, to plug the visible hole. It looks like it was done at the factory.

You will have to trim part of the headliner too, so the extended portion of the console can be attached to the central top bracket.

You may not feel too comfortable, doing this headliner trimming to your vehicle, so you may chose to have the console professionnally installed instead.

Yves.

Last edited by ypelchat; 06-27-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
GregA
AF Enthusiast

Yves,

Did you see the wiring in there for the POWER REAR WINDOWS (to the Switches)? I am thinking about getting some from the junkyard and trying to put them in.
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #15
ypelchat
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Overhead console

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA
Yves,

Did you see the wiring in there for the POWER REAR WINDOWS (to the Switches)? I am thinking about getting some from the junkyard and trying to put them in.
There's also a large blue connector over the headliner. I assume it was meant for the power sliding doors and power rear windows (which my vehicle does not have), i'm not sure though. The blue connector has 6 wires. You'd want to check with someone who owns a factory service manual to be sure.

Yves.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture