Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #391
Flood87
AF Newbie

Re: INTAKE GASKET MAIN PAGE, PLEASE POST Q'S&A'S HERE!

I did mine several years ago after letting it go to long. The anitfreeze leaked into the oil and caused a good deal of sludge to form. So, if that is your case, I would recommend replacing the push rods and roller bearings too.

I spent some time cleaning the innards as best I could too.

I also use a quart of Risolene with every oil change to break down the remaining sludge.

The gasket was a big job for a me, but I got through it.
Flood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #392
AdVenture
AF Newbie

I have a 99' Venture and have 2 questions, 1- How many updrages were there to this Gasket? My Mechanic changed mine in 07' and now I have the same problem again. Question 2- Am I eligible for any settlements? If my first change is too old to claim will this next one qualify? My Mechanic is telling me they upgraded the first upgrade to metal. Not sure if he's just....you know
AdVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #393
Flood87
AF Newbie

Hi,

I have a mechanic friend who has told me that it is common to have to change that gasket twice withing the usual lifetime of the car. The first occurance is usually around 80 to 90k and the second around 160 to 190K.

Mine is about due.

To my knowledge GM has not offered any funds for reimbursement. Which is one of the reasons I will probably never by a GM product again.

Best of Luck,
Steve.

PS. Yes, your mechanic is correct. They have upgraded to metal.

Just as a side note a Formula One fan who is a coworker says that they use O rings within a groove on those heads and manifolds. That is basically what the gasket is trying to accomplish through compression, but the crap gasket breaks down and the anti-freeze leaks through.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #394
AdVenture
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood87 View Post
Hi,

I have a mechanic friend who has told me that it is common to have to change that gasket twice withing the usual lifetime of the car. The first occurance is usually around 80 to 90k and the second around 160 to 190K.

Mine is about due.

To my knowledge GM has not offered any funds for reimbursement. Which is one of the reasons I will probably never by a GM product again.

Best of Luck,
Steve.

PS. Yes, your mechanic is correct. They have upgraded to metal.

Just as a side note a Formula One fan who is a coworker says that they use O rings within a groove on those heads and manifolds. That is basically what the gasket is trying to accomplish through compression, but the crap gasket breaks down and the anti-freeze leaks through.
Thanks a bunch because thats whats happening. I changed it at ABOUT the 90,000 mark. Now I'm at the 142,000 mark and it runs GREAT. Except two weeks ago she decided to run hot and shut down on the highway on my way to see my son I haven't seen in 6 months (I'm military). Then she ran great again for a few days. Now upon start up I hear a ticking then it goes away and she continues to run great. She only runs hot and shuts down ocassionally. I decided to retire her to the garage until I get some funds to take care of this problem. I ocassionally get the LOW COOLANT light, My Driveway has a big spot under where I park and when she does shut down I hear a girgling sound from the antifreeze. So sad to say looks like I'll be paying for another seal. Good news is I don't THINK I have extensive damage beyond the seal. Again I don't know why I'm getting the ticking upon initial start up. Good thing my fall back car is a Mustang.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #395
AdVenture
AF Newbie

What Year did this Metal Gasket become available?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #396
Flood87
AF Newbie

Hi,

I don't know what year the gasket upgrade took effect, but I think the production redesign by GM took place about 2002. In other words, they knew of the problem, redesigned the gasket, and failed to honor their product with a recall. Probably because the repair was not a threat to life and limb.

Incidentaly, my Mom has a '99 Buick with the same engine and she had to have the gasket replaced too.

I would suggest that your mechanic replace the push rods too when you get the gasket done. These rods have a hole in the center that lets oil squirt up into the top of heads. When the oil and coolant mix and form the goo, these holes can clog. This may be the ticking you hear at start up. As the engine and oil heat the oil gets thinner and eventually lubricates and the ticking goes away.

Also ask him to inspect the rocker bearings. The are probably Ok, but he will be right there anyway.

There is also a small coolant hose that has a 90 degree bend on the right side on the top end of the motor. I forgot if it runs into the intake manifold or the MAP sensor, but mine was clogged with goo when I did the repair. It is a dealer item due to the 90 degree bend. That will need to be replaced too, if it is clogged.

Good Luck.

(Note: I am not a professional mechanic.)
Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #397
lesterl
AF Regular

According to a couple sources, the noise at startup and untill warms up is the pistons, there is a TSB on that, some kind of teflon coating or something that wears off, the original pistons have short skirts and when the coating goes, the make noise or something. TSB repair is to replace the pistons or live with the noise......
lesterl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lesterl For This Useful Post:
AdVenture (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #398
AdVenture
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterl View Post
According to a couple sources, the noise at startup and untill warms up is the pistons, there is a TSB on that, some kind of teflon coating or something that wears off, the original pistons have short skirts and when the coating goes, the make noise or something. TSB repair is to replace the pistons or live with the noise......
What is a TSB? Ok, according to my Mechanic he says the Gasket needs to be replaced. I have ticking only on start up which according to you guys can be related to the issue. So a basic gasket seal and piston replacement should go for how much...Average? I know it hasn't caused too much damage because at the first sign I parked it just like last time. My mechanic charged me $400 to change the Gasket seal last time out. He says he'll work with me on the price since it's the second time in 4 years.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #399
van kleef
AF Newbie

Hello there overseas......I'm from Holland (Amsterdam) and owner of a 1999 Chevrolet Venture......
My headgasket went #@$^#^#.......so I have work to do ! 190.000KM on the car.
The symptoms are tiny airbubbles from the overflowtank.....oil and anti freeze are good....no white smoke......

In my search for a goog guide how to fix it I found this article/site ...it can help me...so maybe for you!....

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=74080

greets Jorg
van kleef is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture