Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > El Camino
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
lazerphreak
AF Newbie

Help With Transmission Choice

Hello all!

I am attempting a learn as I go hot rod project on a 1978 Elky. I think I am going to pull a 350 from pick n pull and rebuild it. I am obviously hoping for higher power / torque than most average rides. My question is this: If I rebuilt a 350 and put a supercharger on it, what manual tranny would match up to that? I have heard that a Super T10 would do the job, but I would rather have a 5 speed. Along that line I have heard good things about a T-5, but I also hear the case is too weak for the power that will be running to it. Any advice would be appreciated.
lazerphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
cherryelky305
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to cherryelky305
Re: Help With Transmission Choice

my buddy thought itd be a good idea to rebuild a 350. Granted hes not the best mechanic, but he still spent more on it (not the mention the time) than he would have spent if he just got the new 350 that gm goodwrench makes.

I i were you I'd get the goodwrench 350, maybe a tko tremec 5 speed tranny (or whatever matches it), throw on the supercharger if its still in the budget and run that.

i may be biased but another good way to go is to drop in an ls series motor (car or truck). It may cost more initally but the driveability cant be beat (even with a supercharger)

1980 El camino
2002 LS1 swap
cherryelky305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
lazerphreak
AF Newbie

Dropping a crate would be easier yea and cheaper. But money isn't the issue here. I wanna be able to say I built this. you know? Thanks for the tranny advice though
lazerphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

I have a couple suggestions...

First, the "crater" IS "easy", but hardly a good choice. They are "generic" in nature, and seldom actually MAKE the purported power. We've also "cleaned up" after several. Not very well assembled...

A 383 (stroked 350) might be the hot lick. With a 6" rod, this is a VERY effective performer, and quite durable. A ProCharger will make big power with it, and not be TOO hard on internals. It also has very little parasitic loss. For a complete "combo", I can elaborate if you wish. Many "local" machine shops frown on "keyboard cowboys", and haven't always "heard" of "us".

The Kiesler "kit" with the TKO-900 would be the 5-speed of choice with so much power. They "live" behind BBCs and Pontiacs, so a small block probably can't "hurt" it.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > El Camino