Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
methodmix
AF Regular

2000 Jimmy/Blazer/S10/Sonoma Supercharger

I own a 2000 GMC S15 Jimmy (2WD Diamond Edition to be exact) which has a 4.3l engine with a distributor. To my knowledge, the 1996-1999 models of this vehicle do not come with this distributor straight from the factory. I am in the process of searching for the ideal supercharger application and I have only been able to find 2 possibilities from 2 separate companies: Powerdyne and Vortech. Originally I was considering the powerdyne kit because of it's mere $2300 cost and 40-50% horsepower gain. It's a centrifugal internal lubrication system with ceramic bearings. I have read other forums which lead me to believe that powerdyne is not the way to go (such as the belts and bearings going bad, only 4 pounds of boost being blown as compared to it's claimed 7 pounds, and in some cases it was not functioning at all). So that left me in search of a more expensive supercharger by Vortech. Their kits go for about $3,350. Well see here is my new dilemma: they only provide kits for year models 1996-1999. The reason for this is the simple distributor that comes standard on the 2000 and up models. I spoke with a tech from vortech who told me that I could try out the kit at my own risk and I could not return it back if it did not run properly. He did however mention that I could manipulate the mounting brackets so that it would not interfere with the distributor, but that the supercharger would still not be guarunteed to work properly. My first question is do you happen to know anyone who has attempted any type of turbo/supercharger application on a 2000 and up Jimmy/s10/sonoma/bravada/blazer? If so, which application did they use and how well is it running? Secondly, do you know of any other supercharger manufacturers that supply a kit for my application?
methodmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 04:29 PM   #2
20blk03s10
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to 20blk03s10
any one know?

I'm currently looking in to sc my s-10 (2003 4.3 5-speed short box (non extream) I'm jus tin the process as turbo is looking at about 7 grand as due to fab. all the parts as it isn't a thing normally done to a truck or at least an s-10. I have the zQ-8 package, and its a really nice thing to have lower stance, and better grip to the road, also I need to go faster than 96 mph, it really sux when your racing a honda or something, and you kick the crap out of it and then at 96 your done and here comes the honda.... My s-10 is bone stock cept the tail lights and clear corners in the front and the vent visors and bug sheild and rino linning (best 500 I ever spent) I know I can do a k&n, then dual exaust... but we all know that isn't going to add to heck of a hole lot of power, the disadvanage to a truck and racing around is its light and at the start you spinn out (tho that is due to driver error But back to the main topic anything on a sc???? (super charger)

Jason
20blk03s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:34 AM   #3
lowered12
AF Newbie

distributors on the back of the intake manifold it should not interfer with the plumbing of the sc
lowered12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:53 AM   #4
20blk03s10
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to 20blk03s10
Talking Did some hunting

Well I went ot a domestic shop and was advised that they don't make a sc for the 2003 v-6 there is one for the 96-00, isn't the 00 the same motor or did something chage here?? Also I was told what I can do to my truck...

-pullys apparently I can change them and gain like a 25 hp
-chip
-K&N the hole set up not just the filter
-dual exaust
-and nos

I don't mind doing all this stuff to my truck cept the nos, I would think that carp is bad for the motor, and futher more, when I'm out and about and jacking around on the street, messing with a nos tank and driving isn't to cool. I would much rather have the power always there. I'm still working on info for the sc. I was told that they were not in a high demand and they quit making them, I would of thought that the extream people would want to hope that up, but apparently not....

Jason
20blk03s10 is offline   Reply With Quote