Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Bentley > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 10:15 PM   #1
Dylan_Michael
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dylan_Michael
The real meaning of the return of "The Bentley Boys"

This past year you and I witnessed something historic, and possibly the greatest comeback ever in the modern era. And no, I am not talking about Mario Lemiuex, or the supposed comeback of Michael Jordan. What I am talking about is the return of one of the greatest marques ever, Bentley, to the greatest race, a race it once dominated with the strength and honor that Ferrari holds now, Le Mans. This event is truly a milestone, but why is it happening? Why, after 71 years, ahve they come back? Here is my theory folks.

In the early 30's, after Bentley was taken over by Rolls Royce, all motorsports ceased. Tom Birkin still raced in his privately built and funded Blower, but not one factory Bentley was built to race. Not one. Rolls Royces vision was a vision of doom for Bentley, one that did not include Motorsports or the famed 24 Heures du Mans event. Bentley continued on through the 30's, 40's, and 50's as basically another version of the Rolls Royce, a cheaper and "sportier" version. This also happened, but to a lesser extent, up until the takeover of VW in 98. This marked a milestone for Bentley, for W.O. never envisioned it to become as popular as they were. They were selling as many as they can build. But the lack of gravitas, or strength and honor, was apparent. Even though hand built, Bentley had no heart. Thankfully, in 1998, VW picked up the struggling and bankrupt company.

The first thing on the agenda of VW was to return Bentley to its roots. That was shown with the Hunaudieres concept, a stunning supercar with a W-16 powerplant and enough luxury to stay familiar to Bentleys artificial reputation. It was also demonstrated with the announcement of a LeMans program, marking the return of Bentley. Crewe fired up full steam for this event..workers were extremely happy, and sales sky rocketed. Development of new engines and chassis's spurred from this, and a mid-sized Bentley is in the works. All of this is for the better, but why is it happening?

There is a major reason why Bentley has been turned around. VW really lacked a manufacturer like them, that handbuilds each car, even the LeMans cars. They also saw spirit in Crewe, and a real heritage. Its not good to waste something like heritage or history. LeMans was built around marques like Bentley..which gave 115% each outing. They saw a company steered wrong seven decades ago. Sure it brought money, but nothing else. No love, no heritage. Some great cars were made, the Continental to one, but what Bentley really means is racing. Racing is what built it, and thank god thats what they are doing now. Its put a "hop" in Bentley's step if you will. With allt he activity, and the room to grow with the deep pockets of VW and Audi, Bentley will grow. It will become a giant in high end performance cars, one being the Hunaudieres, which will reach production in one form or another. It had an impressive debut in LeMans, finishing third after a series of failures. Its got ground to work on, a foundation that was there in the 30's but never utilized. I thank VW for rescuing them. I am glad to see a forgotten dynasty resurrected, a soul reborn, and all in all, the wings are still flying.

Dylan_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 02:37 PM   #2
Lizard King
AF Enthusiast

Nice. Is it all your own work?
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
Dylan_Michael
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dylan_Michael
Yup. More people need to read it! Bloody fools!

Dylan_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 11:47 AM   #4
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Good work Dylan
Old 07-04-2001, 11:40 AM   #5
Dinohunter
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Dinohunter
I like it!
Dinohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:42 PM   #6
jsb88
AF Enthusiast

Why is this forum so unpopular!!!! No taste thats the problem just joking
jsb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:10 AM   #7
Toppo
AF Newbie

The real meaning of the return of "The Bentley Boys"

Very well put there Dylan_Micheal

Any sport motor or otherwise needs passion like yours!!!
Toppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:02 AM   #8
jfiliss
AF Newbie

Well said.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: The real meaning of the return of "The Bentley Boys"

I believe that in 1931/32, Bentley Motors was nearly Bankrupt, the result of 'building a car up to a standard, not down to a price', of the worldwide economic depression - and because the financial support of some wealthy British sportsmen (like Wolf Barnato) had ceased. The purchase by RR allowed the 'marque' to continue to exist, although the enjoyably hairy Bentley-Bentleys became Rolls-Bentleys that were almost as sedate as the smaller Rolls's - the 20/25s. I never really understood why they continued making both versions of the cars after WW-II, the differences being insignificant to me.

I have a ratty unrestored '35 Bentley, a 3.5 liter Opera Coupe. Like all Bentleys and Rolls of the period, it has anti-skid brakes! They operate on the front wheels. It works equally well on drive pavement, gravel, even wet grass! You can lock up the rear wheels, but not the fronts.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #10
monanath
AF Newbie

Re: The real meaning of the return of "The Bentley Boys"

Hi,

Has anyone seen this new vintage Bentley website -- www.VintageBentleys.org.

It lists every W.O. Bentley ever produced -- from 1919 to 1931 with history notes and photographs.

Last edited by monanath; 05-07-2007 at 01:43 PM.
monanath is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Bentley > General Discussion