Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #46
mopar2
AF Newbie

Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

I have a similar issue (1st 2nd neutral) I looked on alldata and it shows the splice on my 1996 to be close to the tcm (probobly within a foot by looking at the pic) I hope this helps somebody. I will check mine out in the next couple days.
mopar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #47
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

I'm having the same issue on my 2002 Chrysler T&C. Does anyone know where the wires are on this vehicle? Is there a Youtube video or other video out there showing the fix?
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #48
LEBS
AF Newbie

I have a 97 Grand Caravan with same problem, first and second gear ok and then neutral and second lock. They say I need a new transmission, but I would much prefer the wire solution or the PCM code reset solution. Has anyone been successful with the three wire and ground strap solution? Seems to good to be true, and I have not seen any posts from anyone who has done it successfully. Let us all know if you have done it successfully and where the wires are.

Thanks!
LEBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #49
luzhenry
AF Newbie

I have a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan with many of the problems listed in this thread. The transmission went into the limp mode, speedometer didn't work, and gear selector indicator had all the selections boxed. Based on what I read here, I changed the input and output speed sensors, checked all the wiring connections on every plug, added ground connections/wires to several components (chassis to engine), cleaned all existing ground connections, and then purchased a solenoid pack from a junkyard and was about ready to install that. By the way, I put direct 12v current on the #4 terminal as suggested above to force the Transmission Control Module to power up and communicate with the PCM, but no luck there either. I may have not understood what the suggestions were above, with all the "three wire" hook up. Anyway, then, I decided to check the fuse box. And I had a burned out fuse on the EATX circuit. The EATX 20amp fuse on the fuse panel under the hood on the drivers side and is labeled as "EATX". I had just serviced the transmission with a filter and oil change and then pressure washed the outside. The water must have caused a short. What I discovered, if this fuse is burned out it will put the transmission into a limp mode, won't shift out of 2nd gear and gear selector indicator will have all the squares lighted which will not allow one to know what gear the car is in. The reverse will work. I know the grounding of these transmission (a ground wire comes loose) and that is always important to check.

As a side not, on a similar unrelated problem here (which at first I thought was all interconnected) was all the panel control lights, A/C, wipers, etc were flashing on and off, continuously. I could not get them to stop. I changed the Body Control Module (BCM), and it did not fix it. Then, I discovered there's a calibration procedure to follow, which I did and fixed this too. I found this fix on one of the sites. Basically, you put the interior fan to high/cold, press the wiper and wash button simultaneously for 5 seconds and the BCM then "calibrates" the system. It takes a minute or two, but all systems begin to operate normally, at least it did in my case.

One last thing, I wouldn't recommend buying a 1996 Dodge Caravan. One shouldn't have to go to the dealer on repairs, but Dodge is clearly making a vehicle here which nearly requires specialized knowledge and equipment to do repairs.
luzhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #50
urclueless
Banned

the bcm has nothing to do with the climate control lights blinking there's frequently listed procedure how to calibrate. I'll bet you had a heck of time pulling the bcm with the one hidden screw on the top left.

ALL car manufacturers are making some parts of their vehicles dealer only service. like all hybrids, BMW, Volvo, and so on.

1996 caravans are one of the best minivans ever built. the 4dr, comfort, ease of maintenance, low cost repairs, cheap availability of parts. there's nothing wrong with owning one. they are no worse than other minivans and even a worn out p.o.s. 1996 minivans are still more reliable than cars of the 70's when quality was not job 1.
urclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #51
RIP
AF -Advisor

[quote=luzhenry;6840762]Basically, you put the interior fan to high/cold, press the wiper and wash button simultaneously for 5 seconds and the BCM then "calibrates" the system.[quote]

Thanks for passing your experience along. You are far from the first to overlook the EATX fuse. It supplies power to a portion of the transmission control module (TCM) and gives many fits. Just want to correct one thing on your second subject. It's the HVAC control module, built into the HVAC control panel, that performs the calibration procedure on the heating/cooling system and not the BCM. The only HVAC system function the BCM has is to light the HVAC panel button backlighting.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #52
luzhenry
AF Newbie

The two respondents above have further spurred a thought on the BCM and the reliability of the 1996 Dodge Caravan. Yes, I misspoke on the BCM calibrating to be sure, but I gathered that from other sites and threads when I was trying to fix the many problems I had (and some that I still have). Actually, I'm glad for the correct info. As for the BCM changeout, I only was following advice from other threads (though inaccurate or perhaps misunderstood by me for my specific issues). Nonetheless, I am very grateful for any information when I have these problems. Yes, changing the BCM is a little tricky, though anyone with moderate to expert skills can accomplish the swap. As for the 1996 Dodge being one of the best minivans. Well, yes, maybe. Although, I'm not convinced. I am fairly a proficient backyard mechanic and I must say this Dodge Caravan is taxing my abilities. Aside from the discussion above, I've replaced the left window regulator (pretty easy), plus I have oil residue in the radiator which I diagnosed as trans fluid leaking from the trans cooler into the water. No biggie, I just need a new radiator (it's an older vehicle, I get it), but aside from this and other things not mentioned here, to conclude it's one of the more reliable vans out there? One problem I have that is completely disturbing is with the built in security alarm system. It is seriously causing trouble, at times shutting the engine off at startup, cycling the auto door locks and making entry into the driver's door a problem. And now, when I turn on the headlights, there's a defaulting sequence into a constant beeping after three minutes, from I'm guessing the BCM under the dash. Anyway, once again, I'll search out the answers and will fix this.... eventually. My first order of business will be to attempt to disable the built in security system or simply try to defeat it. So, there it is, probably all of these Dodge "technical advancements" looked good on paper at the time the engineers put them in place, yet I being the end consumer 15 years later, when all of these things wear out and break, am frustrated. I yearn to return to the Model T days.

There are still one lingering item from this thread that no one, as best as I can tell, has answered.

1. What is the wire splice fix for the transmission shifting second to neutral to second and/or in limp mode?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #53
urclueless
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzhenry View Post
The two respondents above have further spurred a thought on the BCM and the reliability of the 1996 Dodge Caravan. Yes, I misspoke on the BCM calibrating to be sure, but I gathered that from other sites and threads when I was trying to fix the many problems I had (and some that I still have). Actually, I'm glad for the correct info. As for the BCM changeout, I only was following advice from other threads (though inaccurate or perhaps misunderstood by me for my specific issues). Nonetheless, I am very grateful for any information when I have these problems. Yes, changing the BCM is a little tricky, though anyone with moderate to expert skills can accomplish the swap. As for the 1996 Dodge being one of the best minivans. Well, yes, maybe. Although, I'm not convinced. I am fairly a proficient backyard mechanic and I must say this Dodge Caravan is taxing my abilities. Aside from the discussion above, I've replaced the left window regulator (pretty easy), plus I have oil residue in the radiator which I diagnosed as trans fluid leaking from the trans cooler into the water. No biggie, I just need a new radiator (it's an older vehicle, I get it), but aside from this and other things not mentioned here, to conclude it's one of the more reliable vans out there? One problem I have that is completely disturbing is with the built in security alarm system. It is seriously causing trouble, at times shutting the engine off at startup, cycling the auto door locks and making entry into the driver's door a problem. And now, when I turn on the headlights, there's a defaulting sequence into a constant beeping after three minutes, from I'm guessing the BCM under the dash. Anyway, once again, I'll search out the answers and will fix this.... eventually. My first order of business will be to attempt to disable the built in security system or simply try to defeat it. So, there it is, probably all of these Dodge "technical advancements" looked good on paper at the time the engineers put them in place, yet I being the end consumer 15 years later, when all of these things wear out and break, am frustrated. I yearn to return to the Model T days.

There are still one lingering item from this thread that no one, as best as I can tell, has answered.

1. What is the wire splice fix for the transmission shifting second to neutral to second and/or in limp mode?
1. there isn't one. you must have someone with a scanner check the transmission computer. autozone cannot do this.

your alarm comes from the bcm. if you changed bcm's this can/will cause this problem

you really should get a toyota so you don't have anymore problems with your chrysler anxiety.
urclueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #54
luzhenry
AF Newbie

So, there's no "splice point" or wiring splicing for a transmission fix? In 2004, when this thread was started, the following was written:

"So... I call the 1-800 hotline... 1-800-866-6727 then press 1 then press 4 to speak with Miguell...
M-F 8am-5pm eastern time... he will tell you... this guy talks...!

the guy tells me a little secret that Chrysler has...

on ALL a604 transmissions... there is a splice point... to make these transmission work properly...
that splices together a red wire from the Solenoid Pack, a red wire from the TCM/EATX, and a wire from
where the EATX Relay is plugged in..."

Can anyone clarify where these wires are? Or, was this all nonsense?

On the alarm / BCM change out. The alarm was malfunctioning with door lock problems before the BCM change. The BCM that I put in did not have the same series number, it was all I could find at the junkyard. The BCM, although the same year, apparently did not have the alarm function. The change did not work, and it changed the milage readout, which incidentally added more miles to my van. There's someone out there who knows how to fix this if they wouldn't mind giving some advice. As for going to the dealership, or transmission tech shop, etc, ain't gonna happen. I joined this forum, and search the sites because I'm a do-it-yourselfer, which in my estimation, is still Americana at its best.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #55
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

These are diagrams for a 96 MY caravan. ES01 splice is not far from the trans controller. If you want to repair your van yourself you might want to get a subscription to alldata.
http://www.alldatadiy.com/

Last edited by jpb53; 05-27-2011 at 10:39 AM.
jpb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #56
Alphabravo
AF Regular

I was at a shop when they were fixing a splice problem. If it is the same one you're asking about, I'm not sure. If I remember correctly it was in a harness underneath the fuse/relay box. It was a few years ago, so my memory may be a bit off, but I hope this helps.
Alphabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #57
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

Sorry I'm bad! Reading again I see that luz has a 04 Caravan. Able to get this diagram at home. As you can see the wire color has changed it is now a yellow with a orange tracer. Splice is S114. I don't have access to splice location info at home. Splice will possibly be somewhere near the IPM. Older models the IPM was called the PDC. Even these are suspect with their connector and for corrosion internally. I will try to dig up more info tomorrow at work.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #58
luzhenry
AF Newbie

RE 1996 Caravan "ES01 splice is not far from the trans controller"

jpb53, great info, plus the alldata reference. Could you explain what is the ES01 splice, I mean, what wires are connected together or is the splice already in place and simply develops a faulty connection which needs to be respliced?

Follow-up opinion on 1996 Caravan - my first ever Dodge van. In an attempt to fix oil in the radiator (believed to be trans fluid leaking within), I went to the local junkyard, there were 4 vans to choose from. All had the radiators removed. I guess I'm not the only one. No problem, I removed a standalone trans cooler on a F150 and will adapt. Yet, now that I'm making good progress on all my repairs, and the van runs pretty good, I'm pretty happy overall.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #59
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

Red box is where the splice is.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #60
Sammantha
AF Newbie

1997 Chrysler LHS - 3.5 Motor

On mother's day of all days the car went into limp mode. It seems to shift fine manually but obviously in limp mode it will not shift beyond the single gear allowed in order for me to limp home. I highly suspect that there is something electrical going on and not actual hard trans damage of any kind but I could of course be wrong. I had the system scanned with one of those heavy duty scanners and these are the codes that it tossed in my direction...

12 - Battery Power To Mod Disconnected
29 - TPS Signal
36 - Fault Immediate After Shift
53 - Gear Ratio Speed In 3rd
54 - Gear Ratio Speed In 4th
74 - Calculated Oil Temp In Use

I believe that 36,53,54 are the only codes that can send the trans into limp mode but not so sure about that so hoping someone might have some advice there too but what I mainly need to know is what I should be trying to do next to fix this issue so the car will safely come out of limp mode. I need to get the vehicle up and running without being ripped off and without wasting money trying to fix the wrong things, so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: We replaced input and output speed sensors and that did not fix issue. Nor did trying another computer brain. So now we are really lost and running out of options.
Sammantha is offline   Reply With Quote