Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
ScoopDog
AF Newbie

Gas Tank Filler

What gives! I have a 95 metro 2dr hatchback, and lately I have been having trouble putting gas in the tank, it acts like it is full because the pump repeately shuts off, sometimes when I insert the gas nozzle partially
through it helps, but not much, I am able to put gas in the tank by using
a standard gas can, today I disabled the hose that connects to the upper
portion of the gas tank entry, ran a smaller hose through it and it is all cleared, is there some type of sensor that might be faulty inside the tank?
Any suggestions?
ScoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Johnny Mullet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Re: Gas Tank Filler

There is no sensor causing this. It really depends on the gas station nozzle. I usually only get gas at one location and don't have this problem often, but I have seen this come up when fueling elsewhere. Sometimes I have to pump it in real slow to keep it from clicking off.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
ScoopDog
AF Newbie

I have been using the same gas station over a year now, that is how long I have had my Geo, I also have
a 03 ford focus and a 03 F-250 which I am able to put
gas in with no problem, using the same gas stations,
over the past 15 years, unless the pumps were changed overnight not to allow Geo's to get gas it must
be a conspiracy! Oh well, I just have to deal with it.
Thanks
ScoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Rooy
AF Newbie

I currently have the same problem. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=931815

But I think the cause of the problem in my case was my own doing, since I had the tank and fuel filler hose out and didn't orient the hose as it was before.

Since I don't put a lot of miles on my Metro, it's taking me a while to solve this. Last time I filled up I ended up having to take a long funnel along and fill up that way. One thing I'm curious about in my case is the gas station pump. I have been using a different station than usual since I put the car back on the road. When I filled up using the funnel last time, I noticed that the pump really aerates/foams the gas, and the nozzle is very sensitive to any back flow, even when using the funnel. If I put the tip of the nozzle near the pool of gas in the funnel it would shut off in a split second. So my next move is to try a different gas station.

All I can offer as advice in your case is to inspect the large filler hose and look for any areas that are flattened out. And check the small vent hose that runs alongside it. You could disconnect it and make sure it's clear by blowing through it.
Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro