Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
billybob11971
AF Newbie

1998 contour electrical problem

can anyone help me?
I have a 1998 contour and none of the gauges work.no speedo,fuel,or temp gauge.
It also keeps blowing the rear defroster fuse.could this be something as simple as a fuse or is it more serious?
thanks in advance for any help.
billybob11971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Re: 1998 contour electrical problem

Give this a shot and see what you got.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/sh...rue#Post235539

If that doesnt work, register on contour.org and post this in the troubleshooting.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
mh1205
AF Newbie

billy bob,
hi, i have just registered new. and i see you have a 98 contour. i have a 98 contour se zetec 2.0. the temp gauge has not worked in a couple years. i have tried resolving it by replacing the coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat. and replaced the thermostat and gasket today. the gauge still does not work. i tried also having someone inside while the key was on and i moved the wire around and the engine was at normal hot temp also. still nothing. where do i find the fuse and relay for this gauge i looked in the haynes and the users guide and can not locate it. is this a relay problem or fuse problem? i can't seem to find the fuse for the coolant temp sensor....
thx
mh1205
98 contour se 2.0
98 contour se zetec 2.0
mh1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Peva
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh1205
...i have a 98 contour se zetec 2.0. the temp gauge has not worked in a couple years. i have tried resolving it by replacing the coolant temp sensor on top of the thermostat. and replaced the thermostat and gasket today...
The temp. sensor you replaced goes to the computer for engine and fan management - does not control the gage. The one that controls the gage is *underneath* the thermostat housing. The aftermarket world mis-labels that as a temperature *switch* even though it is an analogue sending unit. They call the one on top the temperature "sender", and the one on the bottom (that drives the gage) as a temperature "switch" - get the one that they (incorrectly) call the "switch" (technically they are both "senders").

Also, be aware that Contours and Mystiques have serious wiring harness problems because Ford put the wrong insulation on the wiring. Not sure if that was only on the earlier years or if it is on all years. IOW - the problem could be in the wiring (shorting).
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peva
Also, be aware that Contours and Mystiques have serious wiring harness problems because Ford put the wrong insulation on the wiring. Not sure if that was only on the earlier years or if it is on all years. IOW - the problem could be in the wiring (shorting).
The recall was only for 95-97s, but some 98s have shown to have some issues.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
mh1205
AF Newbie

peva, beyondloadedse,
thx so much for the reply. i just got back from autozone had them check the codes and it passed, ok. it seems the radiator fan doesn't run anymore either. all the fuses seem to be fine. i will check out the temp switch under the thermostat like you said.
it is a late 98, after 2/98. i tried also someone inside while i wiggled the wires around and the harness and thier was not a change in the gauge either. the engine was at norm temp and was in the on position also at that time. i will get back with you on this later today. right now i have a drivers window on a 02 durango i have to go get a part for. bad weekend....
thx so much for pointing me in the right direction, i was lost on this and so was the autozone man.

mh1205
98 contour se 2.0
98 contour se zetec 2.0
mh1205 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour