Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
XWrench3
AF Newbie

H E L P ! Potential Fire Hazard - Gas Leak

my 2000 Jimmy (2 door) developed a fuel leak, so i parked it a week ago until i had a chance to look at it. it was pretty obvious that it was coming from the top of the tank, and on the return side, as there was about a 10-15 second delay from the time the fuel pump started, and the steady drip, drip drip came from where ever the lowest point of the tank happened to be. i managed to get the tank removed, and to my surprise there is no obvious reason for the leak. all of the lines have their o-rings in place, all of the lines were still locked onto the pump module, and the module itself is crack free. i can not see or feel any cracks in the plastic lines either. the only thing i am finding odd is the center pipe locking "latch" (for lack of a better word, as there is no locking tab on that pipe) is warped out of shape pretty bad. it looks like a diagonal oval rather than round like the other 2. even so, it took me nearly an hour to get it disconnected from the module. that pipe routes back to a box in the left fender area, which appears to somehow vent the entire system. but if that pipe is a vent line, it does not make sense that fuel could be leaking from it. i also noticed that there is another pipe marked "fuel" connecting to that box. though i did not trace where that one went to. at this point, it appears my only option is to partially reinstall the tank, connect everything, and have someone jump the fuel pump while i watch, to see if i can find the leak. it would be a great help to know how and where the lines all go, and the purpose of the black box in the left fender well. its difficult to reason where or why there is a leak when i do not know how the fuel moves thru the system. also, is the fuel pressure regulator in the module? or under the hood some place? is there a web page or diagram someone can post of the lines, and what they all do? any help would be greatly appreciated.
XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: H E L P ! Potential Fire Hazard - Gas Leak

Some older cars had a small overflow tank in the back fender area. This allowed the expansion when the gas expanded when it got hot or if you overfilled the tank. So this has gas in the line to this tank.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis