Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
mbazid
AF Newbie

98 windstar door ajar alarm and light

I have a 98 windstar and I the door ajar alarm and the dome light wont turn off. This happens even when I cut the engin and Im forced to disconnect the battery so it wont drain. I have pinpointed the problrm to the drivers side door and some times when I gently shake the door up and down it stops. This is making me crazzzzzy. Is there an easy fix for this that wont take all of my life savings?
Thanks
mbazid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
toddler62
AF Regular

Re: 98 windstar door ajar alarm and light

My windstar always had problems with the speakers shorting out at the doors, I would take a pencil eraser and clean the 4 contacts on the door and door pillars. you might try cleaning these contacts they might work the lights also. just a stab in the dark but it wont cost anthing to try
toddler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
lapin_windstar
AF Newbie

Good news! This is a relatively common problem and usually easy to fix, either by replacing the catch, disconnecting the wires or (hopefully) just spraying the catch with WD40 (or similar) - check out this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=383261
lapin_windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
boilerman
AF Newbie

Confused about this ajar issue 2003 Windstar

I pulled the door latch on our 2003 windstar to deal with a door ajar alarm onthe driver door.

It has two plugs into it but the plastic unit is sealed onthe door latch (pulled off via three bolts).

I sprayed a bunch of contact cleaner and then hit the latch with silicone spray - electrical not WD40

I put the latch back in and reconnected the battery.

The door jar alarm still comes on!!!!

I tried disconnecting the two plugs and nothing- still on.
One of the plugs is for the remote lock so I at least know what one is for. There is also a plug that goes tothe door a a handle. So three plugs and all were disconnected and door alarm still goes on.

Is there a way to bypass the sensor by disconnecting a plug? Which plug?

Am I now forced to buy a while new latch assembly($$$$) or can I just buy the electrical unit?

I have assumed folks are tlaking about the black plastic unit off of the door latch as the door ajar alarm sensor.

Help!!
boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
northern piper
AF Enthusiast

this use to happen to our 2000 as well. Don't quote me but isn't the door switch on the jamb? (vs the door). I know that when it happened to me it was the driver's side slider door that was causing the problem. The switch was somewhat sticky. I removed it, lubed it, and the problem has never reoccurred. This was about 2 years ago.

Piper
northern piper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar