Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #61
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: The GAS CAP code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote=Simulacrum dwp;7206870]Ok so here is where I'm at now. Light came back yesterday afternoon. A friend who has a diagnostic checked it out and there is two codes P0443 and P0455. I am planning on contacted GM regarding this ( considering it was their dealership and mechanics that did the work incorrectly) any further advice would be appreciated.[quote]

EVAP PURGE SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT 433 CODE
the 443 code is the electrical connection/coil/feed/pcm connector wiring issue.. PCM monitors this voltage and voltage on/off .. if wrong throws code. this is mounted on the upper intake manifold .. A pita to remove so they may have F'ed up the wiring/connector to it. this purge valve applies vacuum to the charcoal canister ... when on a cold start this valve should turn on and applies vac to purge the canister to remove gas vapors .. if the wiring power to it is not on then this code will throw..

the 455 code means a big leak .. you had the small leak code now big leak so now they made the leak bigger ..

keep all your paper work make copies make sure the work orders are very descriptive on how they did the work what they checked ..

they charge you for all this post how much .also what dealership in ma..

SMOKE TEST REQUIRED .. THEY CHARGE YOU FOR THEIR GUESSING // MORE PROFIT JUST THROW PARTS AT IT ...GUESSING AT YOUR EXPENSE HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.... TECHS ARE BAD THERE ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #62
j cAT
AF Fanatic

This is a post from a silverado owner having this 455 code ... fuel pump connection lines not properly installed top of tank this is what happened to him...

I am bringing back this thread from over a year ago. The tighten fuel cap message and the check engine code comes on weekly 455 code , but I have pretty much decided to deal with it for a while. However, yesterday I was filling up with gas and I got past 23 gallons and the pump didn't kick off. I got to 24 and I look between the bed of the truck and the cab, where the top of the fuel pump is exposed. This is the same area as the pictures above and gasoline was flowing out of the top of the tank like if you were to over-fill a bucket. I still don't know what the tube on the right in pic 2 is but it is completely separated.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #63
g1smith
AF Newbie

I fixed the Chevy Engine Running SEL Indicator aka Check Engine Light 3 times.
My 96 Blazer 4.2L had a P0440 once and the P0446 two times.

1st Time - P0440 Had dropped tank to replace the fuel pump and broke the plastic vent fitting on top of the tank. Easy to find, remove gas cap and blow air into the tank, you could hear the air rushing out..

2nd Time - P0446 Found a wire pinched at the Vent Solenoid (the one above the gas tank / spare tire area) that one was a little harder to find.

3rd Time - Replaced intake manifold gaskets to keep the antifreeze from dumping out. Then, 4 months later, the P0446 was back. Checked everything 3 times, and found the intake manifold bolts, all 8 of them had loosened to 88 inch pounds (they should be 133 inch pounds) re-torqued them and so far its looking good.

An intake manifold leak could cause the gas cap code.

EVAP Code 446 EVAP "the vacuum in the fuel tank when testing is taking more than 4 seconds for the vacuum to drop to the desired reading"... does this mean that it does eventually get there?

Check: Pressure Sender - Ground wire, a restriction in the venting /canister, or a defective in tank pressure sensor.
g1smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #64
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1smith View Post
I fixed the Chevy Engine Running SEL Indicator aka Check Engine Light 3 times.
My 96 Blazer 4.2L had a P0440 once and the P0446 two times.

1st Time - P0440 Had dropped tank to replace the fuel pump and broke the plastic vent fitting on top of the tank. Easy to find, remove gas cap and blow air into the tank, you could hear the air rushing out..

2nd Time - P0446 Found a wire pinched at the Vent Solenoid (the one above the gas tank / spare tire area) that one was a little harder to find.

3rd Time - Replaced intake manifold gaskets to keep the antifreeze from dumping out. Then, 4 months later, the P0446 was back. Checked everything 3 times, and found the intake manifold bolts, all 8 of them had loosened to 88 inch pounds (they should be 133 inch pounds) re-torqued them and so far its looking good.

An intake manifold leak could cause the gas cap code.

EVAP Code 446 EVAP "the vacuum in the fuel tank when testing is taking more than 4 seconds for the vacuum to drop to the desired reading"... does this mean that it does eventually get there?

Check: Pressure Sender - Ground wire, a restriction in the venting /canister, or a defective in tank pressure sensor.
if you had a vacuum leak on the intake manifold the fuel trims should be positive 25 and then throw the lean codes . hoses on the intake manifold could be another problem . the vacuum evap PCM test on how your tank has no leaks then this can throw that code because of a lower vacuum .
hoses on these do need replacing because of the old age. sometimes they collapse and not pass a vacuum .. alcohol fuels on these old engines not good on the old rubber hoses.
intake manifold leaks when new GM used Dexcool antifreeze #1 it had a chemical that destroyed plastic parts.. gaskets and plastic intake manifolds ..
GM changed the Dexcool spec .in 1995 ... having a 1996 Impala I changed that dexcool when new 1 yrs old .. coolant was a mess .. had to flush and drain out the all coolant .. still working fine ..
many did dump Dexcool and used other antifreeze .

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado