Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 08:08 PM   #1
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

b18c swap in civic...turbo or na

Hey guys I am planning on buying a jdm b18c1 engine. I know its only going to run mid-high 14s stock. Before I was planning on going with an h22a swap because I was going for 13s. So now with the GSR would it be cheaper to go with turbo or na? But I am also concerned about reliability. Also anyone have suggestions on which turbo setup to go with to give me a basis? Thanks inadvance.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:23 PM   #2
Craig The Unholy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Craig The Unholy
are you going for 13s with the gsr swap? you can get there with turbo or NA, just depends on how much you want to spend. all-motor is considerably more costly than a turbo and will probably save you a lot of headaches since the engine runs much cooler. personally, i think all-motor is MUCH more respectable, but hey, to each his own. turbos can be just as reliable, if done absolutely right. do a compression check and leak-down checks on the engine before turboing. turbos LOVE oil, so you'll have to keep up with that. change it evey 3000 miles using a synthetic seems customary. turbo is an easy way to reach that 13 second goal for sure...
Old 12-30-2001, 09:19 PM   #3
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

13s with the gsr swap. I am most likley looking at 3k for turbo to run 13s but I know I will be able to upgrade it easily if I feel the need for speed. But how much do you think it would cost na? Thanks alot for the response and for any other help
Old 12-30-2001, 10:13 PM   #4
13secondcivic
AF Fanatic

well...what I'm doing is a bit more cost effective, and about the same result. I'm doing the B16A swap, putting a few bucks into the factory LSD tranny, then doing NA addon's that will give me considerably more HP than a B18 motor. why? well, I figure i'll spend around 1300.00 on the B16A w/LSD, and about 3000.00 + on a B18C...give or take....and with that 1500.00+ in saving, can add quite a bit to the power. as opposed to buying the B18 and running stock because of lack of funds

I'll be pushing a bit over 200hp when i'm done with the B16 and keeping it street legal, all motor. i'd have to settle for the stock B18 power and leave as is for some time....just me maybe?

and then theres' the ease of install with the B16.

-2000 Honda Odyssey
PRI cold air intake
Thermal based exhaust
RC bored throttle body
Wings West body kit
SPEEDY ATIX5 18" rims
225/45-ZR18 Contisports
Tanabe 2.25 inch drop springs
CDT Audio HD speakers

Coming soon:
-Nitrous express 75 hp N2O kit!
-RT free flow cat
13secondcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:25 PM   #5
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Hey Vince thanks for taking the time to respond. But my problem is I cannot get a 88-91 B16a for my car...I have a 93 civic and it would be illegal for me to put in an older engine. And there is only a little more than $500 difference between the 92-95 b16a, and I know I would miss the torque between the two engines. Any suggestions for a turbo setup or even a Na setup? Thanks a lot...
Old 12-30-2001, 10:31 PM   #6
13secondcivic
AF Fanatic

yeah, the B16A2 are a bit much...2400.00 or so. I can check on what I can get it for if you'd like?

anyway...for NA setup i've been doing TONS of research! the BEST way to go is way too much money...Jun, Spoon, TODA, etc....I have found some very interesting things however that are about as good, for much less.

I like SKUNK2 alot!!! I've been looking at there stuff, reading articles, following SKUNK2 racing teams/cars, and talking to them and there distributors. which I now am

there intake manifolds are incredible. as are there cams. i'd go that route if I were you. then add a Comptech header, which is MOST likely the way i'll go....would love the HYTECH, but too much to spend right now.

do flywheel, clutch as well and you'll have a pretty fast motor.

-2000 Honda Odyssey
PRI cold air intake
Thermal based exhaust
RC bored throttle body
Wings West body kit
SPEEDY ATIX5 18" rims
225/45-ZR18 Contisports
Tanabe 2.25 inch drop springs
CDT Audio HD speakers

Coming soon:
-Nitrous express 75 hp N2O kit!
-RT free flow cat
13secondcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 10:45 PM   #7
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Hey thanks a lot Vince! Dont worry on the price check, since I sell engines now. I;ll have to look into Skunk2. But once again thanks!
Old 12-31-2001, 03:18 PM   #8
AznRide
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznRide
The guy that posted the 2nd post...he said change engine every 3K...that's when stock, with turbo, you gotta change it every 1k.

Since you sell engines now...can you look for a B16a, one that's in good condition...thanks.

"I never had a dream come true, 'til the day that I found you, even though, I pretend that I've moved on, you'll always be, my baby..."
- S Club 7
AznRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 03:41 PM   #9
Craig The Unholy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by AznRide
The guy that posted the 2nd post...he said change engine every 3K...that's when stock, with turbo, you gotta change it every 1k.

since when? id change my oil every 2 weeks if that were the case. you're going to be spending an assload of money on oil...
Old 12-31-2001, 07:50 PM   #10
AznRide
AF Enthusiast

you said turbo gonna eat a lot of oil and change oil every 3000 miles you said...does that make sense? I dont have a turbo and I change or recommended every 3k, so if i have a turbo, i still change it at 3000 mile, you said. Hmm....Now you said you change it every 2 weeks, how many miles you go for 2 weeks? If you change your oil every 2 weeks and dont run your car, that's when you gotta pay big bucks for the oil then...do you have a turbo, just a question.

"I never had a dream come true, 'til the day that I found you, even though, I pretend that I've moved on, you'll always be, my baby..."
- S Club 7
Old 01-01-2002, 02:29 AM   #11
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by clatescivicr
Hey Vince thanks for taking the time to respond. But my problem is I cannot get a 88-91 B16a for my car...I have a 93 civic

Just one question, unless your a real B16a nut its alomst impossible to tell the early 160hp and the later 170hp JDM B16a's apart.
So how are the guys doing the testing on your car going to know that the engine is older than your car?
And although the earlier engine is 10hp short, as Vince mentioned its quite easy to increase that to 200hp with some simple mods.
(throttle body the right cams and a trick ECU will do it. )
Old 01-01-2002, 03:24 PM   #12
Craig The Unholy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by AznRide
you said turbo gonna eat a lot of oil and change oil every 3000 miles you said...does that make sense? I dont have a turbo and I change or recommended every 3k, so if i have a turbo, i still change it at 3000 mile, you said. Hmm....Now you said you change it every 2 weeks, how many miles you go for 2 weeks? If you change your oil every 2 weeks and dont run your car, that's when you gotta pay big bucks for the oil then...do you have a turbo, just a question.
stop putting words in my mouth. i did NOT say i change my oil every 2 weeks. i said IF i were to go by your standards i would have to change it every two weeks. and, for the record, ive been known to put 800+ miles on my car per week. so that's roughly 2 weeks between oil changes. when did i say i don't run my car? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? the question is oil changes regarding turbos. yes, turbos eat a lot of oil. why? oil is used in the turbine. what is the basis to your claim of changing oil every 1k miles when turbo manufacturers suggest changing oil every 3k?
Old 01-01-2002, 03:52 PM   #13
clatescivicr
AF Enthusiast

Well since I have a 93 I would have to get the Hasport kit to hook up the engine which costs extra money. And won't the be able to tell the difference between a hydro and cable tranny? Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie

Just one question, unless your a real B16a nut its alomst impossible to tell the early 160hp and the later 170hp JDM B16a's apart.
So how are the guys doing the testing on your car going to know that the engine is older than your car?
And although the earlier engine is 10hp short, as Vince mentioned its quite easy to increase that to 200hp with some simple mods.
(throttle body the right cams and a trick ECU will do it. )
Old 01-01-2002, 06:59 PM   #14
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by clatescivicr
Well since I have a 93 I would have to get the Hasport kit to hook up the engine which costs extra money. And won't the be able to tell the difference between a hydro and cable tranny? Thanks

Buy the engine on its own, and either get a JDM g/box seperatly, or use one from a USDM integra. Then you dont need to convert the clutch.
And so still us a hydrolic clutch g/box.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:35 PM   #15
AznRide
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig The Unholy

stop putting words in my mouth. i did NOT say i change my oil every 2 weeks. i said IF i were to go by your standards i would have to change it every two weeks. and, for the record, ive been known to put 800+ miles on my car per week. so that's roughly 2 weeks between oil changes. when did i say i don't run my car? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? the question is oil changes regarding turbos. yes, turbos eat a lot of oil. why? oil is used in the turbine. what is the basis to your claim of changing oil every 1k miles when turbo manufacturers suggest changing oil every 3k?
When I said you need to change oil every 1000 mile if you have turbo, you said: "Since when..." and you also said:"...I'd change the oil every 2 weeks if THAT were the case" What does your "THAT" mean? Does "THAT" is a - if you have a turbo if you'd change it every 2 weeks or "THAT" is a - going by my standard??? You did not clear your point and you are yelling at me now? I did not know you car ran 800 miles a week, and no you dont have a turbo and for the record...I thought when you have a turbocharged engine, the oil particles move quicker and because of the friction created from a turbocharged engine, the oil need to be changed more then before. And there are 2 turbines for turbo, one using the exhaust gas to spin and blow air to another turbine...but anyways, how do the turbines use oil??? If they do, and if they do, that's not why a turbo eats oil...Some one correct me, I should have paid more attention in class to write some more but I paid good attention to back up my point.

- S Club 7