Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
Landonn73
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1988 Bronco Temperature Gauge Problems

Hey, I could use some help as to what to do so I thought i could turn to you guys. I am only 17 and this is my first truck I bought for myself and don't have that great of automotive knowledge and I'm looking for guidance. So the problem is the temperature gauge is pinged on hot even when the engine first turns on so it is obviously not hot. It also still reads hot even after disconnecting the battery and thermostat 'cable?' under the hood. I took the dashboard apart to reach the gauge and was able to push it back to cold and it stayed but then after running the truck in my driveway for a few minutes nothing happened so I tapped on the gauge once and it flicked up to full hot again. Do I need to buy a new thermostat? Is it a faulty gauge? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
Landonn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 1988 Bronco Temperature Gauge Problems

It's a faulty gauge. In an '88 Bronco, count your blessings that's the only major problem. If your engine overheats, you won't need a gauge to tell you that, you'll be able to smell it. Just keep an eye on you coolant level. Pop the cap off the radiator (when is cold of course) and make sure it's got plenty of coolant.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
gauge , hot , temperature , thermostat
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Bronco