Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
apostrophe28
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to apostrophe28
idel question.....

just a quick question, i was just out in my z32 tt and i noticed that the idel is very very low.....i found when sittin at a stop sign it would drop down to about 300rpm and idel till i started moving again, is this a normal idel rpm? what do your cars idel at........oh it has the jwt ecu and boost jets...wondering if that might affect the idel....
apostrophe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: idel question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostrophe28
just a quick question, i was just out in my z32 tt and i noticed that the idel is very very low.....i found when sittin at a stop sign it would drop down to about 300rpm and idel till i started moving again, is this a normal idel rpm? what do your cars idel at........oh it has the jwt ecu and boost jets...wondering if that might affect the idel....
the ECU upgrade and boost jets should not effect idle...

probably a sensor problem...run an ECU diagnostics. i doubt anythign will come up being the check engine light isnt on but its worth a try.

now go through and wiggle your TPS sensor harness. that sensor is a common problem with these cars...

i have a couple mroe ideas for you 2 but you should start witht he most common. for now, if it is doing this constantly, then you can adjust the Idle Adjustment Screw to bump the idle up a bit.

and Idle is supposed to be around 700rpms in neutral.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostrophe28
I'm a bit surprised to hear that the engine will stay running at 300 rpm. I would expect it to sputter and die around 500.
Bdetore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

If you adjusting the idle adjustment screw you'll nothing but mask the problem. Find the problem and fix it. Check all the vacuum and air lines.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
If you adjusting the idle adjustment screw you'll nothing but mask the problem. Find the problem and fix it. Check all the vacuum and air lines.
yeah, but like i said... for right now you can adjust the screw to bump it up a bit...like if you need to get to a shop or the dealership or something of that nature.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

yah it would work to keep the car running until getting it fixed temporarily liek gringo said its not good cause all ur doing is masking teh real probelm and making it go away and then you can have more serious problems later on down the road when you would least likely need the trouble..

running ecu codes would be a good idea it will give u a good place to start if it throws some codes if none are thrown look at sensors like TOS,MAF,AACV jus a couple off the top of my head who knows u might also have a vacuum leak look for lines and hoses disconnected and look everywhere not jus skim on top of the engine cause they are hidden you can hear them sometimes so if ya can try ta listen for a hissing noise which will indicate tah vacuum leak ...

good luck on that...

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

check to see if you connected your ECU up right, Make sure the none of the wires got pushed out of the connector, and see if any of them got damaged.

Start with the last thing you screwed with its probly that. Thats what I do when I have a problem at work.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

yah and usually tyhe problem is teh easiest shyt in twh world that you wouldnt be looking for dont try to stat with the complicated shyt first it will drive you crazy

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:40 AM   #9
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan
Re: Re: idel question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTrEmEDrIfT
yah and usually tyhe problem is teh easiest shyt in twh world that you wouldnt be looking for dont try to stat with the complicated shyt first it will drive you crazy
The english language is pretty awesome yeah? Cmon man, for the sake of all of us, can you proof read your messages before you click 'submit reply'?

As for the idle problem, sounds like your AAC (Auxiliary Air Control). Does the A/C affect the idle speed? If not, then it could be a bung FICD (Fast Idle Control Device)
Does the idle problem happen when the car is warm or cold (or both)?

-Mike
MikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
Bdetore
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: idel question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMan
The english language is pretty awesome yeah? Cmon man, for the sake of all of us, can you proof read your messages before you click 'submit reply'?

-Mike
You have to remember that Ex D had his arms ripped off in a combine accident back in the mid 1980's. He's been typing with his left big toe for almost twenty years while holding his coffee in his right foot. Give the poor guy a break. Pushing Delete that many time can cramp up a leg.
Bdetore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan
Re: Re: Re: Re: idel question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdetore
You have to remember that Ex D had his arms ripped off in a combine accident back in the mid 1980's. He's been typing with his left big toe for almost twenty years while holding his coffee in his right foot. Give the poor guy a break. Pushing Delete that many time can cramp up a leg.
Haha, well if thats the case then I doubt he's an ExTrEmE DrIfTeR!!!!!!!!
Ahh yes, reminds me of when *I* was 12 and needed people to think I was cool. Those alternating caps really do it for me too.

-Mike
MikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)