Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
rza84
AF Newbie

Question civic 97 hx swap questions

If i put intake, cat back, throttle, etc, etc, will I even break 150hp on a 97 hx with out buying nos or turbo/supercharger?

I'm thinking of tring to get a h22a or a 98-00 si engine swap, would this be better for the end result (i want my end result to have a fast 0-60, low end power, and break 200hp) .
also i remeber seeing something about engine swaps have to be a newer engine than the original due to smog or some envirnmental stuff...
rza84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:23 AM   #2
civickiller
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to civickiller
i dont think a hx motor will break 150hp with bolt ons. yes it will be better to get a motor swap. you will get good low end torque with the h22a. but not so good with the b16a. if you want good low end torque then maybe go crv. but a b16a will be easier to break the 200hp mark as oppose to the crv. but the h22a will be very easy to break 200hp.
civickiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:03 AM   #3
rza84
AF Newbie

thx

Thanks,
As one can tell by the fact of having a hx engine i wasn't think of tuning when i bought the car.
I see lots a prelude jdm engines for sale on the net, for around 2500- $ 3500. it comes with a ecu and tranny, and harness cut at wall. Besides a mount kit what else will i need to have a smooth swap.
rza84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:21 PM   #4
civickiller
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to civickiller
i dont really know anything aobut this swap but i am thinking you need: the mount kit, axles, wiring harness, shift linkage. you can try this web site www.hasport.com maybe you could even email them about your swap and try and ask them what you will need
civickiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:46 AM   #5
YOUNGSTER
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YOUNGSTER Send a message via MSN to YOUNGSTER Send a message via Yahoo to YOUNGSTER
thats the same thing im woundering i have a dx though hatch i wanted the h22a too but im just gonna get a b16a sir2. i dont have much cash it will cause alot for the h22a swap
YOUNGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #6
wagsaccordsir
AF Enthusiast

An H22 is worth its every penny plus some....

MY ACCORD ON CARDOMAIN

"CHEAP THRILLS"
I DON'T CARE HOW MANY SKY DIVES YOU'VE GOT. UNTIL YOU'VE STEPPED OUT INTO COMPLETE DARKNESS AT 850' WEARING 95LBS. OF EQUIPMENT AND 68LBS. OF PARACHUTE. YOU JUST HAVEN'T LIVED.
ARMY AIRBORNE!!!
wagsaccordsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:54 PM   #7
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Send a message via Skype™ to mellowboy
You need:
Complete Swap (Motor, tranny, P13 ECU, axles, shifter cables, and metal shifter assembly.)
Injector resistor pack
Aftermarket motor mountsn (hcp)

about axles. Give hasport or Place racing a call. or www.raxles.com.I know place racing will sell you a solution. If I remember right, the wheel hub side of the axles is too large to fit the civic hubs.

EGR Valve (if it doesnt come with swap)

With the mount kit, the motor/tranny will bolt into the car pretty easily. get the correct info/axles from Place Racing and they will slide right in. Exhaust shouldnt line up, plan on going to the muffler shop. Get creative with your intake too.

You will need to remove your center console and cut a hole for the shifter cables to go through. Connect the shifter cables to the tranny and other end to the shifter assembly. You will need to drill holes to slide some bolt through your floor to hold the prelude shifter assembly in place, or have it welded when you get your exhaust fixed.

The rest is wiring. I always type it up last, but I would perform it first with the motor out of the car. Remove the wire harness from your HX motor. Fit it onto the H22 as best as you can, you will need to extend some plugs here and their to get them to reach. You will need to add the Knock sensor, VTEC, VTEC Pressure, Ground the other side of VTEC Pressure, IAB (2) wires, EGR Solenoid (3) wires, and EGR Valve (2) wires. You will also need some thick wire to extend the alternator wiring to go over the valve cover and to the front of the motor.

Then you are good to go

The H22 is a bitch to work on while its in the car. I would suggest changing all the belts (alternator and timing) while the motor is out of the car. I havent done an H22 timing belt but I have heard you need a special tool. Aslo do the water pump if you do the timing belt. You may also consider the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel while its all out. Clutchs are SUPER easy to do when the engine is out of the car. If you can install a catback, I have confidence you can do a clutch

I can elaborate on anything else you may have questions on too. Some of the H22's have an external coil, so you might have to modify your distributor wiring too

Last edited by mellowboy; 11-27-2002 at 04:18 PM.
mellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote