Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
newmech
AF Newbie

Worth the effort and money?

I have this old car sitting out in the field but I dont know what it is except its a Chevy. I was wanting to restore it but dont know if I will lose major money or if there is no hope for it.

Last edited by newmech; 03-18-2008 at 03:28 PM.
newmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Worth the effort and money?

Without knowing what it is and its condition, we cannot help. How about some pics?
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
72chevelleOhio
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmech
Never mind
Why nevermind? Do you have a title to the car? If nothing else you may sell the parts.......
72chevelleOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
newmech
AF Newbie

I dont know how to allow scripted windows so it wont let me use my pics.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Upload them to a free photo hosting site such as www.tinypic.com, and then copy the tag for the picture and paste it here in a post. That's all there is to it , it's easy. There's too many classic cars just sitting out there in the world idle when they can be restored and enjoyed by a whole new generation. If you don't want to restore it then sell it to someone who is willing to undertake the work. I found it to be an enjoyable, worthwhile experience.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
newmech
AF Newbie

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
MagicRat

Sweet baby Jesus that's an old one.
I'm pretty sure it's a 1940 Chevrolet.

It is actually in pretty good condition for what looks like an original, mostly untouched car exposed to the weather.

In strictly financial terms, the car is NOT worth anywhere near the money required to restore it. Generally, the car will need absolutely everything overhauled, rebuilt etc to be safe and driveable. You could buy an excellent working example for less money.

However, it would be an excellent, fun project for you to learn on. Unlike newer cars, it is mechanically simple and straightforward and, window glass aside, it appears to be complete. If you can pick it up for a few hundred dollars and you have a place to work on it, it would be a fun project.

If you lose interest in future, at worst, you could sell it whole probably for what you paid for it. At best, you just may be able to stick to it, and after several hundred hours of work and lots of $$$ for parts and supplies, you would have a nice vintage Chevy........ but still worth less than the time you put in it.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
72chevelleOhio
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
Sweet baby Jesus that's an old one.
I'm pretty sure it's a 1940 Chevrolet.

In strictly financial terms, the car is NOT worth anywhere near the money required to restore it. Generally, the car will need absolutely everything overhauled, rebuilt etc to be safe and driveable. You could buy an excellent working example for less money.
Speaking of old ones.....in the last pic. That Farmall looks like a late 1920's model "F-20". (could be an "F-30", or an "F-12" though) Its appears to have an enclosed gearbox so its "newer".(and probably not a "Regular")....that place is a gold mine for antiques!! Sweet!

As for the car....looks like a nice street rod project. Like you suggested it probably won't be worth making it original......yup, street rod...
72chevelleOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #9
newmech
AF Newbie

From looking around on the net it seems to be a 1940 Chevy Master 2-door town sedan. I see them for sale around low 20's to mid 20 thousand.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
newmech
AF Newbie

I am now making this car my long term project car. I need some help I cant find any sites that sell parts for this type of car and year. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I would gladly keep everybody updated on how the progress goes once a month or so.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Get yourself a copy of Hemmings Motor News. It is like a bible for classic and antique car owners and restorers. It has both private and commercial sale ads as well as companies that sell just about anything or offer almost any service you'd need to restore a car. It is a monthly publication and can be found at many newsstands. www.hemmings.com

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
MagicRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmech
I am now making this car my long term project car. I need some help I cant find any sites that sell parts for this type of car and year. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I would gladly keep everybody updated on how the progress goes once a month or so.
Mechanical parts should not be a huge problem. The straight six engine was used in millions of Chevys through the late 1950's, so all driveline parts should be easy to come by.
Interior parts may be a challange. Custom upholstry or kits can look after all the seats, carpet, interior panels, roof liner etc.

The difficult parts will be any missing interior and exterior trim. To me, fortunately, it looks as if all those parts are there, Even though they look rusty, faded, bent etc, all chrome, stainless and painted parts can be restored.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars