Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 05:03 PM   #31
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

I guess America is just so behind in technology huh.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:06 PM   #32
Zippy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Zippy
Its all in personal taste. I like the Imports over the American Stuff, but the European a little more over the Jap. stuff.

Anyway you look at it, they put a big grin on your face
Old 01-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #33
91NAZ32
AF Newbie

The title of this thread is "why imports suck", and when I searched for 300ZX (my car) this is one of the threads I got. I dropped my two cents on it, cause I can. Don't get your mullet in a ruffle, monster truck boy.
Besides, you hokey rednecks are doing what all the other domestic folks do when they get with hp numbers. "Oh what's your point." My point is you can't tell me a domestic V6 with the hp/Liter ratio of my ten year old Nissan V6. I hate it my n/a V6 eats up old Fbodies (not my neighbor, he has a 383).
Old 01-05-2003, 09:06 PM   #34
litspliff420
AF Newbie

i dont have any personal preference on which car is better than the other. If you think any other cars sucks, you are just an ass. A true automotive enthusiast (and not a biased asshole) would agree with me. Any car that can put up some good times in the 1/4 or on the track is a damn good car to me. What you think looks better is all opinionated. Dont judge a car by where it comes from, but by how it performs.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:18 PM   #35
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Talking HAHAHA

Quote:
Originally posted by 91NAZ32
The title of this thread is "why imports suck", and when I searched for 300ZX (my car) this is one of the threads I got. I dropped my two cents on it, cause I can. Don't get your mullet in a ruffle, monster truck boy.
Besides, you hokey rednecks are doing what all the other domestic folks do when they get with hp numbers. "Oh what's your point." My point is you can't tell me a domestic V6 with the hp/Liter ratio of my ten year old Nissan V6. I hate it my n/a V6 eats up old Fbodies (not my neighbor, he has a 383).
You're still here? Ok, lets get one thing straight I never said Domestic V6s were the shit. I know most of them are crap. But then again any real Domestic sports car has a V8.

And I'll say this HP/Liter ratio means nothing... so what if your 3.0L makes 300hp. So what if my 6.3L motor has 67hp/per Liters... its still making more power. Do the math 67 x 6.3 = 423hp YAY. Oh yeah, My motor doesnt need a Turbo to reach 300hp either. Isn't that cute!?!

Think I'm afraid of Numbers?

OK lets talk numbers shall we? Weeee this is gonna be fun!

Lets look at your V6 for a moment.
NON-Turbo 3.0 V6
Hp: 222 @ 6400
Tq: 198 @ 4800

Turbo 3.0 V6
Hp: 300 @ 6400
Tq: 283 @ 3600

Great motor, Really it is. Never said it was bad did I?

Lets look at Domestic V6 now shall we?
N/A 3.8 V6
Hp: 205 @ 5200
Tq: 230 @ 4000

Supercharged 3.8 V6
Hp: 240 @ 5200
Tq: 280 @ 3200

Domestic V6 isn't all the great right? But it does have is Torque. Those V6's came out of a Pontiac Bonneville. Which is a Grandpa Sedan. Not a sports car.

Most Domestic Sports/Muscle cars except for a few rareties all have V8s. Which Make torque.. and could careless about the Hp per liter debate.

Also found this to be interesting a 91 300zx(auto) runs low 15s... 95 Pontiac Bonneville SE runs low 15s as well... Interesting isnt it?

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 01-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #36
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
Ooooooooooohhhhh!!!!!!! Moded!!!!! Oh wait.. Nevermind.

I do feel that this thread(well from the top of the second page till here because thats when I started reading) is quite stupid and full of stupid arguments. Theres always someone faster than you who did it with less green than you. And if not that, there's always someone who is faster than you.

And how does one judge which car is 'better'? Because of which carmakes more hp/liter? Or because which engine produces more torque? Or becaue one car is faster than another? Oh wait.. What do you mean by faster? Straightline? Curves? Stop faster?

OH CRAP! Isn't the term 'better' or 'worse' just purely and opinion?

Yea.. so why don't we just have a discussion over something thats more productive and interesting. Or we can all just go back to flaming everything and trying to force others to agree with your opinion which gets nothing accomplish, and can I say is quite BORING?

Thats my 50,000 cents.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:16 AM   #37
91NAZ32
AF Newbie

Interesting that you compare a forced induction domestic V6 (with 25% more displacment) to a n/a import V6 and say "There you go, now we're even". Apples do not equal oranges. Nice try though. Your granpa drives a SSi Bonneville? Nice. Too bad its still a Pontiac. Tell him to save his Social Security to fix it. torque is the great domestic crutch. I get so tired of hearing rednecks whine "At least I got torque." At least I got a car that will last ten years. Wheres the domestic answer for that?
Old 01-06-2003, 09:30 AM   #38
turbo2nr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
91naz32 u giving us imports peeps a bad name here!
red neck is tryin hear 2 be nice but u keep egging him on!
u no this is pointless, this topic has been going on 4 many many years n will continue 2 go on foreva,
me personaly, i love my imports, like u were saying about the vg30dett making 300hp out of a 3.0l what about the the s-15 sr20det making 240hp out of a 4cyld? dats damm great, but also the new mustang dat dose 12s from da factory is pretty damm amazing 2! so what im tryin 2 say is chill alittle n give respect where respect is due!

dats all

Shift_BOOST
97 s14
Old 01-06-2003, 09:36 AM   #39
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Interesting that you compare a forced induction domestic V6 (with 25% more displacment) to a n/a import V6
I don't see the problem, you compare n/a american cars to turbo import cars. Whats the difference?

Quote:
At least I got a car that will last ten years. Wheres the domestic answer for that?
See this image in my picture? 1988 Trans Am. You may have a car that last 10 years but mine has lasted 15 so far. Too bad its a Pontiac .
Old 01-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #40
91NAZ32
AF Newbie

I don't see the problem, you compare n/a american cars to turbo import cars. Whats the difference?

Show me where I compared those turbo cars to an n/a american car. You fucks need to learn how to read.

I guess that is the original powerplant and tranny in that 1988 Pontiac? Otherwise your point is moot. Funny, I see almost as many old F bodies as I do old Z's, but they always look beat to shit, cause the build quality on 80's-early 90's F bodies is shit. If I'm not mistaken that ugly ass firechicken was a about a 280 horse 5.7L when it was stock. You got nearly twice my displacement and SIXTY WHOLE HORSES!. Applause all around for that engineering marvel.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #41
DeViL
AF Enthusiast

280 hp your giving it more credit then what its worth.

235 hp 330 lbs of torque. Sucks for a 350 V8 yes? You gotta realize in the 70's and 80's American companies were struggling through government regulations. They don't have that problem anymore and the engines run just as strong as they did in the 60's. You still see cars like this on the road, whether they are beat to shit or not, they are still on the road aren't they? Like I haven't seen foreign cars on the road looking beat to shit, beetles, civics, I've even see a couple 300ZX's looking like junk. The point is they are still around so where do you get off saying american cars don't last?

What is a Z32? Is that the twin turbocharged car?
Old 01-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #42
91NAZ32
AF Newbie

Z32 is 90-96 300ZX, turbo or not. Z31 is the 84-89 300ZX (built on the 280ZX chasis w/different bodypanels), the SOHC 3.0 that was 165hp n/a, 205 hp turbo in its best form. I understand about the gas and emission regs, that is why they quit making TTZ's. In the last imported year (1996) TTZs went to 280 hp from 300hp cause of OBDII. TT Z32s can't pass emmissions tests in lotsa areas now. Supras have the same problem on OBDI electronics. I don't hate domestics, or even Pontiacs (my dad had a '65 GTO 389 two speed auto, my first car was an '89 GP I beat to death fixed, then beat to death again) but I do think they historically have inferior build quiality. I respect 383s and 5.0s and all the domestic muscle that you just can't fuck with. Didn't mean to come off like an asshole. I'm just tired of "imports suck"
Old 01-06-2003, 04:00 PM   #43
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
I dont think I ever said anything like "imports suck". I like a few... just not all of them.

And I didnt just talk about a Supercharged 3.8 V6, I do believe I gave stats for both Motors. N/A and Forced Induction. And I picked a 3.8 cause thats the only decent V6 we have. Not sure what the problem is.

And no, my grandpa does not drive a Bonneville. I just said it was a grandpa car. My grandpa drives a '93 Toyota Tercel.

American cars from 73-89 I consider to be the worst era for American Cars. Because they had to basically relearn how to build an effecient yet powerful motor. You may think 16 years of development is slow... it is in away but they also had almost 63 years of manufacturing behind them when nobody cared. But I still see older cars from the 70s and 80s driving around. Some BTS some in great condition. But they're still out there. You'd think if they had poor quality they'd all be extinct by now wouldn't they?

Torque, Torque is not a Domestic Crutch. Torque is what moves a car. Torque is what makes horsepower.
(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

We domestics just happen to make more Torque, It's why most (not always) of the time we go faster off the line than Imports.

If you want me to go more indepth on the whole Torque thing, I'd be happy to.

And calling me names like Monster Truck boy... and 'getting my mullet in a ruffle'. And lets not forget my personal favorite "Hokey Redneck". Just goes to show how mature you really are...

Happy Trails...

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 PM   #44
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
Whats OBDI?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:16 PM   #45
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
why does this thread suck?

moved to car comparisons