Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
sriche
AF Newbie

'99 quest knock sensor code

I have a '99 quest with a check engine light on. the codes read egr malfunction and knock sensor failure. After looking up the diagnostics on this, it looks like i may have to replace the knock sensor. This is a big job, expensive too. Are there any suggestion as to what this could be or what may be causing this. NEED HELP!!!
sriche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
nissandoc
AF Regular

Re: '99 quest knock sensor code

Knock Sensor Codes Are Common But Will Not Turn The Check Engine Light On. The Lights On For The Egr Code. Usually On A Quest An Egr Code Is The Bpt Hose. Look For A Metal Tube Just Above The Egr Valve That Has A 3-4 Inch Section Of Hose With A 90 Degree Turn. It Connects To The Bottom Of The Bpt Valve, If Its Split Open, Replace It. As For The Knock Sensor, Dont Worry About It, Its Not Worth The Cost To Replace It, And The Egr System Not Working Properly Will Sometimes Set This Code.
nissandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
sahmama_3
AF Newbie

this is probably really late for you but when my 99 quest was pulling a knock sensor code the mechanic told me to make sure I was using 89 octane or better gas. I filled it up with that and within 20 miles the check engine light cleared. It is worth a shot anyway.
sahmama_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
IH8SPM
AF Regular

On a 99 I would run a fuel cleaner addative such as chevron. Then after about 150 miles I would push up on the egr valve a few times while its running and in PARK to help clear out some of the gunk. You may want to check your spark plugs they are cheap and often cause these problems as I have seen.
IH8SPM is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena